Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,047
# 11
01-29-2013, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxadrill View Post
Agreed and the important part of Khamseenair's post is highlighted for effect. If you dont agree with grinding missions then IGNORE them!! FFS dont ruin something OTHERS find useful. There's room for both grinding content and good story mission content. Trust me if there are good foundry missions in the list they will get played too and there are some EXCELLENT ones in there that I play regularly as well as grinding missions.
I agree. I use the BOFF grinders to test my BOFFs. I wondered why I always fell to Roms. Doing the Romulan grinder, I found my team didn't last against them. No problem against the others.

Grind if you want, but, I appreciate a good tool when I have it.
I love nice long walks in the country.
Especially if they're taken by people who annoy me!
Ar ais olc leis an doer olc
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 861
# 12
01-29-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Or you could wait from them to turn on the report feature instead on sitting there lowering the rating.

I mean if the players don't police themselves then Cryptic will just step in again when things get bad again.

But if you like that then let Cryptic do their magic.
Ok, here's my thought on this whole thing. Obviously the majority of the playerbase enjoys the clickies, pinata missions, hellspawn, whatever you want to call them. Should Cryptic really put the kibash on something that so many people enjoy?

I don't buy the whole "the economy will crash" argument, either. My favorite pinata mission gives between 300k and 500k EC per day depending on what kinds of loot drop. The ships I am saving up for cost, at minimum, 80 million EC. So, assuming that I get the max EC each day, which is never going to happen, it's going to take me 160 days to get enough together to buy what I want off the exchange, assuming I log in every day and don't buy anything else.

160 days is awfully close to the length of an entire season in STO. My experience is that the rules completely change every season so by the time I get enough EC together to buy what I want, it's most likely going to be outdated anyway.

I'm sorry if some authors spend so many hours making ultra fancy missions that get lost in the shuffle, but that's the way it works. I would support a tab for such ultra fancy, spotlight quality missions so that they can be easily found. I do not support hacking off the majority of the player base to appease a few foundry authors. I won't name and shame as that's against the TOS, but read some of the threads in the foundry forum and you'll get a glimpse of the few authors who are up in arms about their missions being neglected.

I'm not letting myself get put on a guilt trip anymore for enjoying a game even if it's not what a select few approve of.

TL/DR : Leave the grinders alone. They aren't hurting anyone, in spite of what a few vocal foundry authors are saying.

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,277
# 13
01-29-2013, 02:22 AM
Quote:
I've already done a lot of battleship grinders by participating in them and completing them way ahead of time.
For every Battleship grinder you finish 3-4 minutes ahead of time, there are dozens of people who take much more time. Non-AE or tank/heal/debuff setups, low-levels, beam boats, people going afk in between, those with low inventory space...

Attitudes like that of the OP actually make me want to enter the game before I go to work or class, start a grinder mission and leave it running until it logs out automatically after 60 minutes. That way I'll have pretty much nullified 10-15 "destruction runs" of the OP and his friends.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,607
# 14
01-29-2013, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
Ok, here's my thought on this whole thing. Obviously the majority of the playerbase enjoys the clickies, pinata missions, hellspawn, whatever you want to call them. Should Cryptic really put the kibash on something that so many people enjoy?

I don't buy the whole "the economy will crash" argument, either. My favorite pinata mission gives between 300k and 500k EC per day depending on what kinds of loot drop. The ships I am saving up for cost, at minimum, 80 million EC. So, assuming that I get the max EC each day, which is never going to happen, it's going to take me 160 days to get enough together to buy what I want off the exchange, assuming I log in every day and don't buy anything else.

160 days is awfully close to the length of an entire season in STO. My experience is that the rules completely change every season so by the time I get enough EC together to buy what I want, it's most likely going to be outdated anyway.

I'm sorry if some authors spend so many hours making ultra fancy missions that get lost in the shuffle, but that's the way it works. I would support a tab for such ultra fancy, spotlight quality missions so that they can be easily found. I do not support hacking off the majority of the player base to appease a few foundry authors. I won't name and shame as that's against the TOS, but read some of the threads in the foundry forum and you'll get a glimpse of the few authors who are up in arms about their missions being neglected.

I'm not letting myself get put on a guilt trip anymore for enjoying a game even if it's not what a select few approve of.

TL/DR : Leave the grinders alone. They aren't hurting anyone, in spite of what a few vocal foundry authors are saying.
Except the foundry rules don't change unless Cryptic says so, and if it's considered an exploit the players can report it...it's that simple...and since players don't Cryptic will eventually step in and no one wins.

A exploit is an exploit if this was PVP (in a mirror universe where it mattes)and there was an exploit there would be players screaming to fix it and few who say leave it in.

i could really careless it's Cryptic that will step in again.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,888
# 15
01-29-2013, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Bring your A game. Load up on the most cheesiest combos and equipment. You like one tric ponies? Well, its authorized!

Clear them as fast as you can, as often as you can. Rate them as low as possible.

And with enough times, the AI would consider it unsuitable for the IOR.

(You can keep the vendor change as you **** the grinder dry, or donate to a charity of your choice.)

I've already done a lot of battleship grinders by participating in them and completing them way ahead of time. Going to try and break some boff grinders soon. But I can't do this alone. Are you with me?
How would you like it if I start blazing through regular non-grinder foundry missions as much as possible in my 15.2% base crit chance Tac Fleet Defiant to try to get them all disqualified? Won't be hard for a ship built like that.

I do both grinder and regular foundry missions depending on how much time I have, but if most of foundry authors have attitude like yours I am not so sure I will want to do anything but grinders now.

We can also stop this by taking longer then normal to complete these missions to cancel it out.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 186
# 16
01-29-2013, 02:41 AM
It's this Holier-than-Thou attitude that some Foundry authors seem to have developed that has stopped me from playing most Foundry missions.

Back when the Foundry was first released I played and enjoyed a lot of missions. But now thanks to to some authors sitting on their perch looking down on anything that doesn't meet their own personal vision of what a foundry mission should be, I just can't be bothered with them anymore.

News Flash for these authors. You are Video Game players creating missions for an online Video Game. You are not Leonardo da Vinci creating the Mona Lisa, nor are you Orson Wells directing Citizen Kane. These grind missions are not sullying your "art" they are missions just like yours, they are just different. So get off your high horses and let people play what they enjoy.

*Note* I know most Foundry authors are great people who make some fantastic missions. It's just a small select group who seem to want to control how people use and enjoy the Foundry.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,607
# 17
01-29-2013, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboholic View Post
It's this Holier-than-Thou attitude that some Foundry authors seem to have developed that has stopped me from playing most Foundry missions.

Back when the Foundry was first released I played and enjoyed a lot of missions. But now thanks to to some authors sitting on their perch looking down on anything that doesn't meet their own personal vision of what a foundry mission should be, I just can't be bothered with them anymore.

News Flash for these authors. You are Video Game players creating missions for an online Video Game. You are not Leonardo da Vinci creating the Mona Lisa, nor are you Orson Wells directing Citizen Kane. These grind missions are not sullying your "art" they are missions just like yours, they are just different. So get off your high horses and let people play what they enjoy.

*Note* I know most Foundry authors are great people who make some fantastic missions. It's just a small select group who seem to want to control how people use and enjoy the Foundry.

They are not trying to control anything, they are just trying to enforce the rules and foundry terms....i would call them more obsessive hall monitors.

But seriously if they players don't police the foundry even a little, it's not like you can get rid of them all, but there has to be a balance or we get way to many BS missions, then Big brother Cryptic steps in again and bam everyone gets it Then Cryptic spends time trying "fix" the system.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,304
# 18
01-29-2013, 03:46 AM
Since I am likely one of those people you are avoiding naming and shaming I will simply repeat this.

We do not want to take away your ability to earn Dilithium, Fleet marks, and even Pinata amounts of loot.

We are not trying to force anyone to play our stories.

It comes down to this.
The mission you play HAS to be 15 minutes long to qualify for the Investigate Officer Reports daily.

Sitting there or walking away from the keyboard for 15 minutes while your autofire takes out the enemy who won't fight back is an exploit. Try and say that it's not and you sound foolish.

I am proposing that you engage in ACTUAL Grinder missions.
A mission set up with increasing waves of enemies that actually fight back, and test both your build and skill for 15 to 20 minutes.

The kind of mission that WILL be nothing but combat, ACTUAL combat, and will take the time to earn you the IOR Reward. AND have enough Battleship level mobs that some pretty good pinata loot drops too.

I am sorry, I wouldn't be able to make such a mission fill your inventory on the first run, but the thing is a repeatable, why do you need to FILL your inventory and reach the Foundry drop limit the first time.

I don't understand why people think we are trying to stop you from getting your needed currencies. These are things we all need.

TL;DR
Would you rather spend your 15 minutes sitting and shooting at timid mobs that don't even fight back while defining themselves as "combat" oriented. OR would you rather spend yoru 15 minutes actually engaging in combat with enemies designed to test your skills ?
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 861
# 19
01-29-2013, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Except the foundry rules don't change unless Cryptic says so, and if it's considered an exploit the players can report it...it's that simple...and since players don't Cryptic will eventually step in and no one wins.

A exploit is an exploit if this was PVP (in a mirror universe where it mattes)and there was an exploit there would be players screaming to fix it and few who say leave it in.

i could really careless it's Cryptic that will step in again.
Then Cryptic should do the wise thing and not call this an exploit. That's what grinds my gears about it, aside from the egotistical foundry authors. I remember when the dilithium clickers hit the fan one of the devs, maybe even the head dev said something along the lines of "we don't want it played like that". Really burned me up to hear that. If it was what people wanted, then they should have accommodated the playerbase.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that since the chosen few are raising holy heck about this it will be nerfed into oblivion soon enough and we will have to grind away in the "proper" manner. I'm through feeling like a "villain" by doing something that I would imagine the great majority of the playerbase is doing, though.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 861
# 20
01-29-2013, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Since I am likely one of those people you are avoiding naming and shaming I will simply repeat this....
I have never once gone AFK during a grinder mission and have always played them through and quite frankly, I find the insinuation offensive. I don't expect you to fill my inventory on one try. I don't expect you to do anything but allow those of us who enjoy a different playstyle than you do to enjoy the game as we see fit.

I played your spotlight mission. It was nice. You did a good job. I don't have time or energy to play that style of mission every day, though. I find the easy grinder missions to be a nice release after getting home from my %&$^ of a RL job.

I don't have a problem with you spending your creative efforts creating missions and being rewarded for your efforts, but I do have a problem with authors such as yourself having an elitist attitude. You can deny it all you want, and maybe it's not what you intend, but that's what's coming across.

Porthos is not amused.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 PM.