Captain
# 131
01-29-2013, 09:19 AM
I just discard tehm.I had hundreds stucked on my main toon .you dont have to be einstein to know that when you open a series on lockboxes you open them from 1 toon not all toons.That minning claim is a good idea and I can understand why is not tradeable ...but its useless being charcarter bound.
Career Officer
# 132
01-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Terribly implemented
Boxes bound when opening lock box, so whats the point of even having boxes and not just a differing number of claims?
Dil cap destroys ability to actually use a lot of claims anyway, you are always limited by 8k

It really seems like a prize they don't want you to use, by making it as annoying as possible.
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Career Officer
# 133
01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Agreed,

Make these boxes tradable!! I don't need, literally, 360+ tickets on one toon!
Career Officer
# 134
01-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I doubt they will allow you to sell the mining claims. That would essentially amount to being able to sell dilithium ore on the exchange. It's already bad enough that they're basically letting you pull up to 50k ore out of a lockbox.

The 20 hour cooldown is a little odd. Though, most things involving dilithium seem to be structured to require you to log in at least once a day. That assures you continue to play, which is the biggest thing a F2P game needs to do. By making you come back every day to tend your Doffs, run your dailies, kick your rep projects, and turn in your mining claims they assure you will log in every day. And probably do some other stuff.

Of course, even though I understand it doesn't mean I don't find it annoying. Because it is.
Captain
# 135 Been off the game for 5 days
01-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Been out of town and off the game for 5 days - hence - that's 5 days that I could not use this prize and 5 days longer it will take me to realize the "benefit's" of this prize. At this rate it will take me about 2 YEARS to go throught the 180 claims. This is a total joke. Like many others now, if I ever need more lobi I will be openning Temporal, Cardi, or Ferengi boxes. The fact that I come back to the forums after a more than 5 days off and still find this thread in the top topics tells me that having this "prize" character bound was a bad decision not just shared by me.
Career Officer
# 136
01-29-2013, 10:51 AM
The cooldown and bound to character keeps it from flash crashing the value of Dilithium.
The daily aspect encourages folks to log in and do a quick freebie mission, and be freed from needing to grind out more Dilithium. Of course, that isn't as pointed/useful if you are reaching your 8000/day from your normal 'fun' activities, but at the very least, it's some back-stock you can get to cover if you don't log in on a given day.

It's 5k dilithium for a 1minute minigame, 4 zone changes [To Planet, to Site, To Air Lock, Off Planet. ok that is 4, woot], and a trip to a system near DS9.

Not to say there isn't a problem with them. With a lot of folks who buy lockboxes, buy -a lot- of them, and lobi encouraging you to buy them on one character, it's very easy to get to a point where you are sitting on over a few months worth of mining claims.

Something to consider. With current market values (92), 125 Zen is 11,500 dilithium [refined]. The rare one is 30,000 dilithium [over 6 days].
Career Officer
# 137
01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
I dislike the mining mini-game.

So I don't want something piling up in my Inventory/Bank space, that either forces me to play a part of the game I don't like, or "Discharge" them...

The latter being something that is a total waste of my purchasing power.

Therefore, I won't be opening any boxes that have this item attached to them.
DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.95 years.
Career Officer
# 138
01-29-2013, 12:13 PM
The mining claim only requires that you play the game once, then kicks you 5k dilithium (assuming you didn't do terribly at it). If you hate the mining game, this is a godsend compared to doing it 5 times for 3500 dil. Also, as Sudoku pointed out, a pack of mining claims can easily pay for the cost of the key. They are probably the best thing to ever sprout out of a lockbox, and I will be regularly opening Dominion boxes because of them. That's something I've never done before.
Rihannsu
# 139 Dilithium mining claim
01-29-2013, 06:07 PM
recieved a couple vip mining claims in lock boxes, but not sure how this works. Do you need a certain device or skill to mine once you recieve the mission to mine the roid?

Also, can you sell them on the exchange and is that worth while?
Rihannsu
# 140
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Each VIP claim comes with 10 tokens, which you can turn in for a daily mining mission. You don't need anything other then the EV Suit you already need for the normal mining daily. When you get to the asteroid, talk to the mining NPC; there's a new mission, besides the normal mining daily. You take that and ask where the FDMAA guy is, then you'll beam out to the part of the asteroid where the deposit is and talk to the NPC there. if you have a token in either your bank or your inventory, he'll let you mine once per day. After you turn in the token, the rest works just like the normal dil mining daily, except you only have to mine one spot.

The tokens are bound to character (a point of much contention on the forums) so you can't sell them.