Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,015
# 11
01-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
So I guess you're here to tell us that due to limits on your imagination there's only one non canon ship you can accept? And if you're imagination was as plump and juicy as your avatar you could just sit in a darkened room without STO at all and accept Janeway as your dominant life partner?

Here we go. I'm going to imagine your post being interesting.

Ooooohhhhhh!
Dammit Thissler that's my work keyboard you made me spit my drink on!

OP, not to add insult to insult to injury (the injury coming in the form of the EC you're out), but the Dread is possibly the worst ship ever released. Boff allocation is braindead, it has the healing potential of an escort and can't even be run like an A2B tac cruiser. Everything about it is amateur hour.

I'm all for flying what you like, and what you like to look at, but seriously at some point function has to come into the equation and this ship is just awful.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,339
# 12
01-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
So I guess you're here to tell us that due to limits on your imagination there's only one non canon ship you can accept? And if you're imagination was as plump and juicy as your avatar you could just sit in a darkened room without STO at all and accept Janeway as your dominant life partner?

Here we go. I'm going to imagine your post being interesting.

Ooooohhhhhh!
i really had a hard time with the bug, cardassian ship, tholian ship (big time), and ferengi ship. i couldn't wrap my head around it whatsoever.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,339
# 13
01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
Dammit Thissler that's my work keyboard you made me spit my drink on!

OP, not to add insult to insult to injury (the injury coming in the form of the EC you're out), but the Dread is possibly the worst ship ever released. Boff allocation is braindead, it has the healing potential of an escort and can't even be run like an A2B tac cruiser. Everything about it is amateur hour.

I'm all for flying what you like, and what you like to look at, but seriously at some point function has to come into the equation and this ship is just awful.
compared to the bortasq, this ship is awesomesauce.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 967
# 14
01-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveks View Post
Still, I wanted to go with a bit of a power drain build (Polaron + Plasmonic + Aceton and such), for which I bought Dacoit Flight Deck Cruiser and Advanced Orion Interceptors only to find out that they cannot be used on HEC... Actually, none of the unique KDF C-Store hangar pets can (Interceptors, Tachyon Beam Drones, Marauding Force). Filled a bug report and am hoping this is just an oversight...
Probably an oversight. I saw a Jem Dread spitting out S'Kuls around DS9, so no reason why the HEC shouldn't be able to use C-Store ship pets too.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,253
# 15
01-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom61sto View Post
Probably an oversight. I saw a Jem Dread spitting out S'Kuls around DS9, so no reason why the HEC shouldn't be able to use C-Store ship pets too.
Dreadnought is classified as a normal Carrier. HEC can use S'Kuls as well AFAIK, as they do have the "Escort Carrier" in their description. The only hangar bays that don't fit on HEC are the aforementioned Interceptors, Tachyon Drones and Marauding Force.

Yeah, an oversight, but probably one we're going to have to wait weeks for Cryptic to acknowledge and fix... It's just how it is these days. And until then, my useless Adv. Interceptors will just have to wait in the bank...

Still, having fun with HEC, although it clearly takes more damage than my previous Fleet Vor'Cha. Trying to find a suitable build that would benefit the tanking/healing a bit more, as the Commander Tac. is sufficient enough for decent DPS. 2pc Borg Set would be useful I guess, but I'd like to stick with 2pc KHG bonus.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,148
# 16
01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
When I look at what the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier has to offer I find myself agreeing with some of the other posters about the Boff layout being kind of bad.

Eventually I'll pick up the Carrier just because it's a Carrier.


The Boff layout gives you plenty of Tactical but not enough Science so you'll have to pretty much use the Universal Lt. Station for Science and you won't be able to do much with only 3 low end Science skills.

The Carrier has an escort setup with a turn rate of 6 and it will be quite hard for a Science Captain to do much with it from a Science Skill stand point.

The thing that all the other Carriers have going for them is that they can be setup to be shield tanks, this one not so much.

It will be hard to dole out heals to teammates when you'll need all of them for yourself.

If you're just running PVE I don't think that you'll have many problems with this Carrier.

For Giggles here's the Boff layout that I might use with my Science Captain.

Commander Tactical: TT1, CRF1, TS3 and CSV3

Lt. Tactical: THY1 and APB1

Lt. Commander Engineering: EPTS1, EPTS2 and ET3

Lt. Universal: HE1 and TSS2

Ensign Science: TB1

The other saving grace of a Full Carrier is what it brings to the dance with it AKA Hanger Support.

From what I'm being told that stock Jem Fighters has well as their Very are versions are complete junk and rank dead last when they're compared to the rest of the available fighters.

Then there's the Hanger versions of the Jem'Hadar Attack ship bugs that seem like they could be this carriers saving grace; however, 95% of the players the own this carrier will not be able to buy these Bugs.

I really think this carrier would have been much better if it had had its Engineering Boff and Universal Lt. Boff station reversed.

I do agree with the OP on the point that I can see the carrier has a more current KDF ship design fitting with the game current timeline, it looks quite good.

Last edited by errab; 01-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 967
# 17
01-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveks View Post
Still, having fun with HEC, although it clearly takes more damage than my previous Fleet Vor'Cha. Trying to find a suitable build that would benefit the tanking/healing a bit more, as the Commander Tac. is sufficient enough for decent DPS. 2pc Borg Set would be useful I guess, but I'd like to stick with 2pc KHG bonus.
If you have T5 Omega Rep, the Adapted KHG should help a fair bit. With the similarly spec'd Breen Warship I found it a lot more survivable with MACO shields than standard KHG, and even my Fleet Tor'Kaht seems to be able to tank more damage equipped with Adapted KHG. If you have a fleet with a Embassy leveled and provisioned, there are the new threat-scaling science consoles, with the option of hull healing proc.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
# 18
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Ill say this about the Dread Carrier- and keep in mind that this is from someone who runs mostly STFs and Fleet Actions.

The Dread Carrier cannot do some of the things that the Science-oriented Carrier can (grav well in specific). But its not supposed to. If youre speccing it to be a weaker Atrox or Vo'Quv, then thats exactly what its going to be, and I'd imagine you'd be disappointed.

What it is supposed to be is a carrier that can bring escort-level DPS aside from its pets. It does that. It doesnt have the grav well of the Kar'Fi, nor the turn, but it has a lot better tank, more tac powers, and more tac consoles. It brings straight siege DPS, and a lot of it, provided you use cannons.

I personally have never had a problem with turn rates in STFs. You know where things are going to be and how long it will take to get there, and mostly with some planning you can bring all your cannons to bear on your targets without problems. If this is not the case for you, or you PvP more, then forget everything in the paragraph above.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,339
# 19
01-30-2013, 04:41 AM
Yeah two faw and two omega with high turn engines turn console. You have the maneuverability of a destroyer.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 915
# 20
01-30-2013, 05:12 AM
hopefully you have a bug ship in your arsenal to get those fighters with proper weapons.
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 AM.