Captain
# 2831
01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
No, from the first post in the forums about the issue and the tweets I received before the game went into maintenance. Here is the first post, just about 1.5 hours before maintenance stated: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...241232&page=78 (starts with post #777)

Cheers, Brandon =/\=
No problem. It looks like it started to occur about a good half hour to an hour before the patch and maintenance was started. If things like this happen again, could we possibly get some sort of warning? Since I didn't experience the issue prior to the downtime, my perspective was based upon what I saw on the surface.

Thank you for clarifying the issue.
Commander
# 2832
01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbypwr View Post
Any update! I wanna play!
The problem will go away in between 30 minutes and 2 weeks.

He's dead, Jim.
Career Officer
# 2833
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend1 View Post
Who in their right mind runs invasive tests such as this, knowing it will likely cause major issues for people again, whilst the game is live? Surely tests such as these should have been carried out during a maintenance period. An emergency maintenance at least should have been called.

One other symptom I have noticed that I have not seen anyone else mention is I cannot browse the C-Store from within my browser whilst this is happening. Was the same last night.
Umm....Network Engineers who saw the outrage yesterday and the numerous requests and demands to: "Fix it once and for all!"

As to why they're doing it with the Live environment, the Live environment is the system with the issue. Just doing some simulated testing with a non-real world load setup wouldn't ensure a full/final resolution. It's also possible that what they're doing still may not, but obviously someone higher up wants to try something in the hopes such an outage situation won't occur again

(And sorry as someone who also works in the IT field, I hate it when your user-base demands you fix it once and for all, yet when you take steps to do that that does cause some intermittent service disruptions, it's "Why now?"; and then if it happens again (because you didn't take steps to fix it after the last occurrence -- "Hey guys, why didn't you take steps to fix it after the last time?!")
^^^
This is the type of end-user 'logic' loop IT support folks encounter all the time. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Lieutenant
# 2834
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by punktribble View Post
ummm not to sound stupid, but couldnt they just hook up an OHM meter or something else to find a drop in current or connection?
Old Electronic Tech...use to tune RF Microwave filters
Not really. Networks are organic, the device that stops traffic isn't always the device causing the problem. In addition, networking hardware isn't just a stop and go set of patches between two ports at a distance. Software plays a key role on these devices that manipulates and processes where things are supposed to go. Narrowing down the problem is rarely, if ever, as simple as hooking up a meter anymore. While the basic transmission is still just simply an electrical signal... the signals are a few million a second now, and its extremely difficult to determine the particular signal having a problem from the line.

Depending on where the problem is isolated, it may be directly hardware related, but it can easily be something more difficult than that. Large server clusters, especially those that support more than one collective group of applications, are like trying to debug punch cards =/
Ensign
# 2835
01-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Is everybody crazy here ? Just came here to check what is going on after the updater failed a couple of times and everybody here is going crazy as if Cryptic had killed your family or something.

It's an online game, and games can break from time to time - live with it and do something else and try again tomorrow, what the heck is the problem ? Everybody here is acting like a drug addict who ran out of **** - jeez, losing contact to reality must be hard - lol
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 2836
01-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
No problem. Its looks like it started to occur about a good half hour to an hour before the patch and maintenance was applied. If things like this happen again, could we possibly get some sort of warning? Since I didn't experience the issue prior to the downtime, my perspective was based upon what I saw on the surface.

Thank you for clarifying the issue.
I did clarify, and posted about it being unrelated as soon as I got into the office in several threads, including this one (*looks for 3-5 posts in the dev tracker saying the same thing since yesterday*); however, the threads go by so fast, it's easy to miss

We want you guys to be able to get in-game, so it it's frustrating for us to see this happening too. But, these tests are necessary, especially with our amazing anniversary event right around the corner.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Lieutenant
# 2837
01-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Umm....Network Engineers who saw the outrage yesterday and the numerous requests and demands to: "Fix it once and for all!"

As to why they're doing it with the Live environment, the Live environment is the system with the issue. Just doing some simulated testing with a non-real world load setup wouldn't ensure a full/final resolution. It's also possible that what they're doing still may not, but obviously someone higher up wants to try something in the hopes such an outage situation won't occur again

(And sorry as someone who also works in the IT field, I hate it when your user-base demands you fix it once and for all, yet when you take steps to do that that does cause some intermittent service disruptions, it's "Why now?"; and then if it happens again (because you didn't take steps to fix it after the last occurrence -- "Hey guys, why didn't you take steps to fix it after the last time?!")
^^^
This is the type of end-user 'logic' loop IT support folks encounter all the time. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Its the entitlement perspective. Drives me mad. Its not only limited to those of us trying our best in IT roles. You see it at restaurants, doctors offices, hotels, the DMV... no one considers that there might be someone else in front of them, or that their thick steak cooks longer than a salad. They are inconvenienced, so it automatically makes their priority the only important priority.

God forbid they ignore a broken elbow for a heart attack :|
Commander
# 2838
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
I did clarify, and posted about it being unrelated as soon as I got into the office in several threads, including this one (*looks for 3-5 posts in the dev tracker saying the same thing since yesterday*); however, the threads go by so fast, it's easy to miss

We want you guys to be able to get in-game, so it it's frustrating for us to see this happening too. But, these tests are necessary, especially with our amazing anniversary event right around the corner.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Testing... the only thing you're testing is us!

He's dead, Jim.
Ensign
# 2839
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Did somebody say "steak?"....yummy.

Cheer's to all the network engineers in the forums. We hold the line...
Career Officer
# 2840
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:
No, from the first post in the forums about the issue and the tweets I received before the game went into maintenance. Here is the first post, just about 1.5 hours before maintenance stated: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...241232&page=78 (starts with post #777)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Can concur that it started before maintenance did yesterday. I can also add that it took out Champions Online for me as well.