Lt. Commander
# 181
09-18-2009, 07:35 AM
If there is a specific class of ship we want. IE I want an excalibur class ship, will i be able to see the path skill wise i need in order to gain access to that ship.
Lt. Commander
# 182
09-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frost1977 View Post
If there is a specific class of ship we want. IE I want an excalibur class ship, will i be able to see the path skill wise i need in order to gain access to that ship.
The Excalibur will be under the Cruiser branch, so if you put your points into the Curiser path, it will open the Excalibur to you at whatever point it becomes available.
Lt. Commander
# 183
09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
I've always enjoyed playing classes that were a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. A couple others in this thread have mentioned that.

Examples. For Lord of the Rings Online, I love the Lore-master class since I can heal a little, give power to others, dps a little, hit very hard with lightning, every 5 minutes, buff, and debuff, along with lots of cc. I can even rez. It's by far the most versatile class. It never specializes in any of those fields, though. I tried the same with a Bard in Dungeons & Dragons Online, but spells are horribly weak there (DDO favors hack and slash and diverse party make-up instead of diverse characters).

How can we achieve that in this "inverted triangle" (and actually, no need to invert it since a regular triangle or pyramid is better as you work your way to the top). Cryptic mentioned that we get more and more specialized as we gain tanks but didn't explain anything about those who generalized more. I enjoy being the swiss army knife in a group to fill almost any gaps in specific roles.

What sort of love can we expect for those of us who like jack-of-all-trades and master of none characters?
Lt. Commander
# 184
09-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I agree with you about being the master of all trades but to me i think it would be a lot more fun to specialize in one are and if you are in a group of people, say an alliance or something like that you can have select people train in one area and some other people in another, that is what is going to make it fun, but being the jack of all trades is a lot of fun as well, until you get everyone and there brother asking for help, then you wish you were something else.
Lt. Commander
# 185
09-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
I've always enjoyed playing classes that were a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. A couple others in this thread have mentioned that.

What sort of love can we expect for those of us who like jack-of-all-trades and master of none characters?
I think STO actually embodies this more than most. You may be "class" restricted but, from all the interviews and demos, you can spread the love or specialize. I think it will just be a matter of finding what will suit you the best. Science has those awesome stasis fields, may have some heal in there as well, most likely find a nice suped up phaser/disruptor for punch... man I think the options to specialize and/or generalize are boundless (figuratively speaking of course). Engineering... I think I have heard something about beefing up local shields or disrupting others, I am sure there will be a boost function as well. Tactical I am at a loss for a guess as far as going general, but you never know. Plus there are always the kits.
Lt. Commander
# 186
09-18-2009, 02:49 PM
My love with being a jack of all trades is that I can step in to fill almost any gap in a group. I guess you could say that I tie that in to freedom within the game constructs. Being able to handle a little of everything, even while not excelling at it, is quite an empowering feeling.

Heck, even my Lore-master's pet in LOTRO could tank, with the right buffs.

Of course I've enjoyed playing alts who specialize in one thing or another. But here's a simple rule I like to game by:

Ability > Power

After all, what good would it do to be the master of phaser weapons if you're on a ground mission where you need to bypass security on a phaser-proof door lock or keep an NPC alive while an army of mobs is running at him or her?
Lt. Commander
# 187
09-18-2009, 03:01 PM
I completely agree with you. I am a big fan of the Jack of All Trades or the ability to transition between solo and group.

I am as giddy as a school girl!
Lt. Commander
# 188
09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
we have been told we get points for killing things and for quest/missions but my question is are there different types of exp/points or what ever for space and ground it would be bad to get in a group with a guy that has ground skills = to the best person in the game or better and then in space they have a tier 1 ship with no skills at all
Lt. Commander
# 189
09-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Excuse me for asking, but what happened to Cadet and Ensign.

I always envisioned myself starting as a cadet. The environment would be perfect for a tutorial. Then you graduate and start off as an Ensign.
Lt. Commander
# 190
09-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connelli View Post
Excuse me for asking, but what happened to Cadet and Ensign.

I always envisioned myself starting as a cadet. The environment would be perfect for a tutorial. Then you graduate and start off as an Ensign.
Cadets and Ensigns would not be given command of a ship, and everyone in STO will have their own ship. It makes perfect sense to start as a Lt.