Survivor of Romulus
# 1 Eve
01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Just something I saw on slashdot a moment ago that I really think should be shared.

Fairly recently, our rival game EVE online saw a 3000 player pvp battle take place.

I'm not joking. THREE THOUSAND players in one instance all shooting at each other in one map. Pretty crazy to think that shortly after that happened our servers have been acting crazy bonkers.

I'd like to hear the opinions of some of the devs on this. You too dear reader, I'd like the opinions of all on this news!

Ps. Hopefully all is well soon. Praise be to the holy hamsters!

EDIT

Also, it would be appreciated if the links to our "MOVED" threads lead to the location they were moved to, rather than just leading to the next thread in that forum
At the very least, some indication of what had been done with the threads would be appreciated!

EDIT2
Perhaps "state of the game" was a poor choice of title. :/
Hmm, seems the mods moved this here from STO discussion and retitled it "eve". How boring.

Additional pics and details courtesy of pcgamer http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/28/ev...battle-asakai/
There was a sig here, but I gave up. Thanks {REDACTED}

Last edited by captainoblivous; 01-29-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Additional info and a correction
Career Officer
# 2
01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
That's a lot of hamsters.

Porthos is not amused.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
That's a lot of hamsters.
Apparently, 10% of all the EVE players who were on-line at the time of the battle, were in that one battle. That's without even attempting to consider how many others were involved in smaller skirmishes surrounding that melee in neighbouring sectors!

But seriously, if EVE could manage that AND stay up why on earth is STO so dodgy at present?
There was a sig here, but I gave up. Thanks {REDACTED}
Captain
# 4
01-29-2013, 05:35 PM
I am not surprised GoonSwarm was involved. I'll bet a lot of people left work to join in that fight

And thus, EO has a lot ... A LOT of hard-core, dedicated players ... way Way WAY more than STO (if not every other MMO in the known universe).
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Career Officer
# 5
01-29-2013, 05:36 PM
epic! i want it in sto

Klink: House of Beautiful - J'Luc/Rom: Lag Industries - D'Waste/Fed-Sci: Lag Industries - IAM
Join Date Hoster: Dec 2011 - Join Date Symbiont: 1403 A.D. and not a dull moment
PvP improvements, coming since 2010 lol
Rihannsu
# 6
01-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Actually... this sort of thing was brought up in Zone chat when the 2800 series was released. Someone did math and figured out that, at that moment, there was a total of around 300-500 players in DS9, Beta Ursae, and Bajor put together. The suggestion was that we could(purely from a story perspective) have a massive fleet of 300 players take on the entire 2800 Dominion ships and probably win...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 7
01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Honestly, Eve Online is capable of doing this due to years of work by its devs to be able to do this. It used to be in Eve that half that number would crash the node. But a lot of very tired hamsters and some dev cheating later (look up time dilation in Eve), you can just about pull this off, though the lag still sucked from what I heard.

As to why can't they do this in STO, well, Eve Online has been around for what, almost 10 years now? And the devs have never stopped moving on it, even if not everyone agreed with the direction. STO is coming up on 3 years, and honestly, sometimes I wonder if the forgot the lights. But I'm sure people thought that about Eve too, so maybe someday we can all re-enact the battle from Sacrifice of Angels.

Oh, and yeah, Eve may only have 300K accounts and probably less players, but they're damn scary.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkarris View Post
Honestly, Eve Online is capable of doing this due to years of work by its devs to be able to do this. It used to be in Eve that half that number would crash the node. But a lot of very tired hamsters and some dev cheating later (look up time dilation in Eve), you can just about pull this off, though the lag still sucked from what I heard.

As to why can't they do this in STO, well, Eve Online has been around for what, almost 10 years now? And the devs have never stopped moving on it, even if not everyone agreed with the direction. STO is coming up on 3 years, and honestly, sometimes I wonder if the forgot the lights. But I'm sure people thought that about Eve too, so maybe someday we can all re-enact the battle from Sacrifice of Angels.

Oh, and yeah, Eve may only have 300K accounts and probably less players, but they're damn scary.
Yes, was gonna mention the Time Dilation thing they developed, it's pretty cool. EVE Online is in a league of their own in some areas of online gaming and new innovation I think. But then again all their devs eat mostly Icelandic fish with a heavy dose of Omega-3.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
What a glorious battle that must have been. Many songs shall be sung for the crews of those 50 Dreadnaughts, 40 Carriers, 6 Supercarriers, and 3 Titans. Qapla'!

...Shame that the KDF here will never get to participate in PVP battles that epic.
Captain
# 10
01-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Perhaps someday..... *sigh*
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.