Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,498
# 1641
12-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewolf1979 View Post
Bridge is off center completely nothing matches up evenly. Note how the viewscreen is clearly not center due to the odd shape of the bridge.
*working as intended* by artwork

-> https://picasaweb.google.com/1076902...94901640544050

but yes, ugliest Bridge EVER
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,881
# 1642
12-18-2012, 09:22 AM
The default bridge is an ugly one, I'm thinking that the displacement of the bridge follows the TOS bridge model that is not aligned with the long access of the ship but actually turned so that the main screen is at the 10 o'clock position. I always buy a new bridge when I get a ship, for those that don't come with a dedicated one, because of this.

Windows on the Galaxy/Dreadnaught/refit lower saucer are still misaligned, which isn't too noticeable, but the Dreadnaught dorsal cannons and spinal cannon are still displaced slightly to port, which is very noticeable.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 39
# 1643
12-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I was hoping it would be possible for the lines added by the veteran skin to change color based on what set was being used (green for the assimilated Borg set, purple for the Dominion set...etc.).
Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
# 1644
12-30-2012, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
whats about the Sovereign Class rework? still have many issues and since Months/Years no fixes!!! Such an iconic ship will fall down to the forgotten space...
amen bro!

Already a refit version of the sovereign class but no fixes :/
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
# 1645
01-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Hello Everyone!

Just bought a Wells Temporal Science Vessel from the exchange and found that the ship does not have floodlights lighting the 'Starfleet Insignia' on the hull. In this picture of the Wells Class from the VOY: "Relativity", it shows that there are floodlights (though dim) on both sides of the hull lighting the insignia. Also, the in-game Wells has its nav lights on both sides blinking red while in this picture again from VOY: "Relativity", shows a green nav light on the starboard side.

Note: Image of the Wells Class (from Star Trek: Voyager) taken from Memory Alpha Wiki.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,253
# 1646
01-20-2013, 06:17 PM
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=520631

Pretty much my opinion on what needs to be fixed. I omitted a lot of things I could say about all three ships, and others, but those are the most obvious.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 59
# 1647
01-21-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm in the camp that a MMO starship will never look perfect, however, I believe that each model should have the look and feel of ship it's representing. For the most part everything is correct. The Intrepid looks and feels like an Intrepid, the Defiant looks and feels like a Defiant, and the Sovereign looks and feels like a Sovereign.

But then we get to the Galaxy. It doesn't look or feel like the Six-Foot Model and it doesn't look or feel like the Four-Foot Model either.

It's in this middle-ground where it just doesn't feel right. The neck is probably the biggest culprit, it feels way too straight, removing the small forward-swept feeling of the saucer over the deflector dish, instead it feels like it's just on top of it. I could nit-pick the saucer and secondary hull, but if there's not going to be a new model created I would just really like a new neck.

And lastly there's an issue for the artist to consider. What version of the D do I use as reference? If you're in this thread you probably know that there were three different models of the Enterprise-D used throughout the run of NextGen and the first half of DS9. Of these three, the graceful and curvaceous six-footer, the stocky bulldog that is the four-footer, and the small practical two-footer I think I'd go for the four-footer.

While not quite as graceful as the original sixer, it emanates for me the feel of the TV show. And that's what you want from ships in this game. You want to feel like you're flying that ship you've seen on TV for the last 20 years.

A quick example being (yes I know it's a different game, but the idea is the same) Bridge Commander. Two very very good models for the Galaxy are Wiley Coyote's Six-Foot Based Generations Model and C2X's more four-foot based Galaxy.

Two very different attempts at the same ship. While I'll see the six-foot model and know it's the D, it is the four-foot that instantly brings back memories of TNG. The four-foot looks more aggressive, which also makes sense in the war-torn universe that STO takes place in. The four-foot would also be a great candidate for this new texturing technique Cryptic has used with the Ambassador.

Thanks for reading!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,253
# 1648
01-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunkl View Post
I'm in the camp that a MMO starship will never look perfect, however, I believe that each model should have the look and feel of ship it's representing. For the most part everything is correct. The Intrepid looks and feels like an Intrepid, the Defiant looks and feels like a Defiant, and the Sovereign looks and feels like a Sovereign.
The Intrepid doesn't look like an Intrepid. Just look at the weird window/light things on the bottom of the saucer, and the size of the registry number. I could make a comparison if it's not obvious.

But yes, the Defiant has come a long way, and it looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunkl View Post
But then we get to the Galaxy. It doesn't look or feel like the Six-Foot Model and it doesn't look or feel like the Four-Foot Model either.

It's in this middle-ground where it just doesn't feel right. The neck is probably the biggest culprit, it feels way too straight, removing the small forward-swept feeling of the saucer over the deflector dish, instead it feels like it's just on top of it. I could nit-pick the saucer and secondary hull, but if there's not going to be a new model created I would just really like a new neck.

And lastly there's an issue for the artist to consider. What version of the D do I use as reference? If you're in this thread you probably know that there were three different models of the Enterprise-D used throughout the run of NextGen and the first half of DS9. Of these three, the graceful and curvaceous six-footer, the stocky bulldog that is the four-footer, and the small practical two-footer I think I'd go for the four-footer.

While not quite as graceful as the original sixer, it emanates for me the feel of the TV show. And that's what you want from ships in this game. You want to feel like you're flying that ship you've seen on TV for the last 20 years.

A quick example being (yes I know it's a different game, but the idea is the same) Bridge Commander. Two very very good models for the Galaxy are Wiley Coyote's Six-Foot Based Generations Model and C2X's more four-foot based Galaxy.

Two very different attempts at the same ship. While I'll see the six-foot model and know it's the D, it is the four-foot that instantly brings back memories of TNG. The four-foot looks more aggressive, which also makes sense in the war-torn universe that STO takes place in. The four-foot would also be a great candidate for this new texturing technique Cryptic has used with the Ambassador.

Thanks for reading!
I totally agree. The ingame Galaxy-class looks like they tried to make both the original six-footer (note that the starboard warp nacelle was always tilted, they didn't do this thankfully), the four-footer, and the CGI Galaxy from Generations/DS9. It looks terrible...

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 996
# 1649
01-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
I totally agree. The ingame Galaxy-class looks like they tried to make both the original six-footer (note that the starboard warp nacelle was always tilted, they didn't do this thankfully), the four-footer, and the CGI Galaxy from Generations/DS9. It looks terrible...
Agreed, though if they wanted a hybrid they could always ask Gabriel Koerner for a look at his Enterprise-D CGI model, which he made for "These Are the Voyages...". He stated that he used the basic geometry off of the 6ft model, but included the more detailed hull from the 4ft version: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gala....27s_CGI_model

I mean, it didn't turn out too bad in the end: New Enterprise-D CGI.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 01-28-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,253
# 1650
01-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
Agreed, though if they wanted a hybrid they could always ask Gabriel Koerner for a look at his Enterprise-D CGI model, which he made for "These Are the Voyages...". He stated that he used the basic geometry off of the 6ft model, but included the more detailed hull from the 4ft version: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gala....27s_CGI_model

I mean, it didn't turn out too bad in the end: New Enterprise-D CGI.
I'm sorry, but IMHO, that model was the worst appearance of the Galaxy-class starship in the whole Trek series. The deflector shape didn't look anything like the 6-footer or the 4-footer, and neither did the rear of the saucer, nacelle pylons, engineering section rear, or the colours of the ship's warp engines.

The hull textures looked nice, but the shape was off.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16 AM.