Ensign
Hello, Trek fans! Or at least I'm assuming a vast majority playing STO are. I've searched the good old internet a few years ago for a Star Trek MMO, or something along those lines, for a very long time. One that was different. Not a typical style of playing. After days of searching I had finally found it.

It's an old style of playing a game. PBEM = play by email. It's odd at first but when you get used to it gets pretty easy and entertaining.

The particular PBEM I'm talking about is 'Star Trek Borderlands.'

I've been playing for almost three years and have found it quite a good place to play especially if you're a writer and a Star Trek fan.

'Borderlands' spans multiple places called 'Duty Stations.' Me? I'm currently stationed at Starbase Horizon. I play two characters. CPT Jarrod Dells and 2LT Vance Sellers. Both men are marines on Horizon.

If anybody is interested here's the link to the main Star Trek Borderlands site: https://sites.google.com/site/startrekborderlands/home

Also, if anybody is interested in Starbase Horizon, here's the link to that DS: https://sites.google.com/site/startrekborderlands/home

Honestly, it's a good chance to be a part of the Star Trek universe and helps with your writing skills. Everybody I've talked to and have written with are all a great group of people and are always coming up with ideas and storylines.

Thanks for taking time out of your day and reading this. I hope to see a few walking amongst the corridors of Horizon. Who knows. Maybe you'll even get drunk with Dells or Sellers!!!! Everyone knows the Marines throw the best parties!
Captain
# 2
01-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Wow, I'll be applying for sure, once a new character comes to me I absolutely love the new uniforms and comm-badge designs In fact, any future uniform descriptions I make in the LCs here will be using those uniforms as standard
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Oh, this brings back some nice memories Although not with "Starbase Horizon", but I'm quite familiar with this type of Star Trek experiences.

I highly recomend it to people who are real Star Trek fans, Sci-Fi enthusiasts or interested in writing and broadening their writing skills.
Commander
# 4
01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
I've just applied to join the DFA. My character choice was easy - the next host for the Jinx symbiont

Also, I'd like to agree with Marcus... Love the uniforms and comm badges.
Ensign
# 5
01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah it's great fun. Glad you guys caught the interest! I'm awfully excited. And also there's not just Starbase Horizon. That's just the Duty Station I've been assigned.
Captain
# 6
01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
I've just applied to join the DFA. My character choice was easy - the next host for the Jinx symbiont

Also, I'd like to agree with Marcus... Love the uniforms and comm badges.
Badlands takes part in current timeperiod, does this mean that Jinx is going to be meeting an unfortunate accident? I'll be applying within the next few hours, depending on household chores...
Commander
# 7
01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Badlands takes part in current timeperiod, does this mean that Jinx is going to be meeting an unfortunate accident? I'll be applying within the next few hours, depending on household chores...
I was basically keeping them as seperate characters, so the STO timeline doesn't impact on the Badlands timeline, at least so far as my charcaters are concerned.

Besides, Jinx has already met several unfortunate accidents, the accumulation of which means I could retire his current host at any time without a problem. Unfortunately, I've not finished writing Jinx's tale yet, so no-one here knows about them... D'oh!

If you want to know more about one of Jinx's unfortunate accidents, play my foundry mission - The Empty Shell Shuttle Incident (searching for empty shell finds it). I've been using the foundry to build aspects of Jinx's life into a 'holodeck simulation'. This is the first one I've made, but will be the second of three missions when they are all complete.

Come and join the DFA!
Ensign
# 8
01-30-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm glad that you guys are interested. I've been wanting to create a fleet for Borderlands in STO also, but finding the people is difficult, but maybe it's me.
Captain
# 9
01-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
I was basically keeping them as seperate characters, so the STO timeline doesn't impact on the Badlands timeline, at least so far as my charcaters are concerned.

Besides, Jinx has already met several unfortunate accidents, the accumulation of which means I could retire his current host at any time without a problem. Unfortunately, I've not finished writing Jinx's tale yet, so no-one here knows about them... D'oh!

If you want to know more about one of Jinx's unfortunate accidents, play my foundry mission - The Empty Shell Shuttle Incident (searching for empty shell finds it). I've been using the foundry to build aspects of Jinx's life into a 'holodeck simulation'. This is the first one I've made, but will be the second of three missions when they are all complete.

Come and join the DFA!
Ahh, that's fair enough, I was planning on doing a similar thing with my application, by creating a breakaway character who I could either play on Badlands, or if not accepted, simply add to my current crew to shift the dynamic a bit I'd willingly play the mission, if I was actually able to play the game, but PC problems are still preventing it >_<
Captain
# 10
01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancious23 View Post
I'm glad that you guys are interested. I've been wanting to create a fleet for Borderlands in STO also, but finding the people is difficult, but maybe it's me.
I think it could just be that they are very different types of interaction... As above, PC issues have prevented me from even playing STO, and my laptop can't even handle the download, let alone run the game However, I really like the vibe here, and love the literary challenges, as they force me to stretch my writing, rather than just writing whatever I want to Badlands would certainly satisfy my love of writing, and although this isn't part of my application, I have a self-created alien race, as well as a unique piece of technological hardware, so I see potentially two awards already It's been a very hectic day for me, but I'll get my application in within 48 hour...
[Edit]
I'll do it now

Last edited by marcusdkane; 01-30-2013 at 04:20 PM.