Captain
# 121
01-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usscapital View Post
i cannot ever remember seeing one in any ep of ds9
In "Emissary", we see one fighting the Borg Cube at Wolf 359.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Lt. Commander
# 122
01-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleycrasher View Post
The ship that's nearly a century out of date outclasses most cruisers that came after it, that's not a valid complaint?

Also, the ship is ugly and mediocre. Its ok for a free ship, but anyone serious about cruisers will already have or be looking to getting one of the superior ships. The time spent designing this monstrosity could have been spent adding real content or fixing any one of countless bugs.
You do know that different people design ships and fix bugs......right?

I for one think it's an attractive ship.
Captain
# 123
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
In "Emissary", we see one fighting the Borg Cube at Wolf 359.
i ment to say in the dominion war
Captain
# 124
01-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usscapital View Post
i ment to say in the dominion war
According to the Star Trek Encyclopedia, the U.S.S. Exeter was Ambassador class. That wasn't stated in canon, though.

Several Ambassador class ships appeared in TNG; it's more than likely at least some of them were still in service during the Dominion War.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Commander
# 125
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
My feeling is that with the stats it has (and looking at the turnrate on the Klingon ship PLUS cloak PLUS cannons), they should look at bumping the Ambassador's turnrate up to a 9 or 10 and add subsystem targeting, since it's a Science-y cruiser.

It is my *hope* the Devs will increase turn rate for the Ambassador Class.
(If players recall, the Devs increased the Oddy's turn in the 11th hour last year)

It should at least be on-par with Excelsior [8]. Should they make a Fleet/C-Store, possibly a [9] if the Devs make a Science oriented version.

Lastly...a HUGE thank you to the Devs for finally bringing this ship in-game!
http://media.photobucket.com/image/dofftrader/yoreantiques/DOFFtrader.gif

Last edited by paragon92518; 01-30-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 126
01-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey47 View Post
First off, I said TNG episodes. The DS9 battles acted as if no ships were using shields, even still, the Galaxys were shown firing one phaser beam at a time, hardly an arsenal. TNG starred a Galaxy class and showed it in battle in various circumstances, and is therefore a better reference than DS9 battles.
That's just silly. You can't limit it to one of the TV shows and say' This is the template for which ALL space battles must be judged concerning the Galaxy class'. That's like saying 'We're only going to judge the F-15 based on what it did in the Vietnam War'. You think that fighter never got an upgrade between that war and Desert Storm, where it was used again?

Besides, TNG also showed phasers being fired from the fore Photon Torpedo tube, and was seen using FAW firing multiple beams at a time from it's multiple Arrays. Sounds like you are the one who needs to brush up on some TNG episodes.
____

The o3 - Killed you good
Captain
# 127
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Will these ships come in reward boxes, or will I need to have a couple of ship slots open before playing the mission?

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Captain
# 128
01-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diotw View Post
Will these ships come in reward boxes, or will I need to have a couple of ship slots open before playing the mission?
We know the T5 one will come in a box. Haven't read anything about how the T3 version arrives.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Career Officer
# 129
01-31-2013, 02:12 AM
I love the specs on those ships i dont care what other people say

And might i also suggest that the release of the Ambassador coincide with the soon to be release of TNG Season 3 on Blu Ray

Vereniging van Vloten: De Verdedigers, Gathering of Tweakers & Ariesfleet en Heroes of Qo'nos
Dont Mess with the Dutch Assassin
Steam user for life Say No to ARC
Career Officer
# 130
01-31-2013, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
That's just silly. You can't limit it to one of the TV shows and say' This is the template for which ALL space battles must be judged concerning the Galaxy class'. That's like saying 'We're only going to judge the F-15 based on what it did in the Vietnam War'. You think that fighter never got an upgrade between that war and Desert Storm, where it was used again?

Besides, TNG also showed phasers being fired from the fore Photon Torpedo tube, and was seen using FAW firing multiple beams at a time from it's multiple Arrays. Sounds like you are the one who needs to brush up on some TNG episodes.
What's silly is you comparing a tv show with reality. I'm also not sure of your point with F-15's, as it would more defend my side of the argument. My point was, that the capabilities of a Galaxy class would be more accurately represented in the show that starred that class of ship. In the DS9 episodes, the ships were just random ships, not much thought put into it (and I'm talking from the production point of view of the tv series). Besides, nowhere in the Galaxy's appearances does it prove me wrong. The Enterprise was quickly disabled by two Klingon birds of prey captured by Ferengi. The Enterprise was destroyed by a 20 year old bird of prey. Even considering that the bird of prey was penetrating its shields, the Enterprise should've been able to destroy it in the length of time the battle lasted.

At no point in TNG or DS9 was the Galaxy class shown to have any kind of real superior tactical ability. You've certainly provided no evidence to suggest that a Galaxy class would outgun a retrofitted Ambassador. The Galaxy class was stated on countless occasions to have been built for exploratory purposes in peacetime. So where do you get this irrational belief that the Galaxy class is so tough? Because you're a TNG fanboy? The Ambassador is smaller, would be more maneuverable, and obviously has a similar number of weapon placements as the Galaxy. With those weapons upgraded to be on par with a Galaxy, why would the Ambassador be inferior? The only way the Galaxy would have the advantage is while the saucer was separated, which does give the Galaxy quite a usefulness boost in the game. If the AI of pets were a bit more intelligent, it would be a lot better. However, we don't know that the Ambassador didn't have the ability to separate the saucer. Even the Constitution class had the ability, even though it was never shown on screen, so I guess the Galaxy may lose out again.

You also ignored what I said about the Excelsior Class Lakota beating the hell out of the Defiant. We're also talking about a 20 year difference between the Ambassador and Galaxy, which is nothing. (I'm also confused as to your point about the phaser being fired from the forward torpedo launcher. It was a mistake made by the FX people for that episode. I think you're grasping at straws.)

Last edited by odyssey47; 01-31-2013 at 02:55 AM.