Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 622
# 91
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
As Worf stated: Death to the opposition! If you don't like foundry grinders, don't do them. Stick to the STF grinders.
All cloaks should be canon.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,215
# 92
01-30-2013, 12:02 PM
I smell another war coming between the sto novel writers and the hobbists.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?

Last edited by lordmalak1; 01-30-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 93
01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Tags is something that would require entire new systems to be coded. It's not something we'll be seeing any time soon. I agree it may be a better solution, but do we want to deal with grinders dominating the top rated list for the next 6 months?

I'd rather have a quick, but imperfect, fix that can be delivered in the short term.
Not really sure why adding some tags to the database for the mission description would require a whole new system. You can already search plain text so one assumes they already have a table with just names in it.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,668
# 94
01-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Not really sure why adding some tags to the database for the mission description would require a whole new system. You can already search plain text so one assumes they already have a table with just names in it.
It is a new data field for the game to store...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,668
# 95
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
If you know what you're doing (and have a mostly purple crew): knowing which DOFF missions were created for suckers and which give good rewards, it's pretty easy. Especially in a fast ship or one with lots of transwarps.
It's still a far cry from "something for nothing".
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 96
01-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
It's still a far cry from "something for nothing".
Spin the Wheel now there is something for nothing :p
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 973
# 97
01-30-2013, 04:39 PM
the entire game is one big grind. why do u find it surprizing when foundry hgas grind too.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
# 98
01-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Well, the truth is, I don't expect much to be done to fix this problem any time soon, so we probably should just get used to it. I don't know...this could really end up harming the Foundry community. We'll see.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 861
# 99
01-31-2013, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Well, the truth is, I don't expect much to be done to fix this problem any time soon, so we probably should just get used to it. I don't know...this could really end up harming the Foundry community. We'll see.
I don't understand when you guys always throw this statement of "harming the Foundry community" around. At the end of the day, the people running the grinder missions probably wouldn't run the "normal" Foundry missions even if the grinders were disabled. So it's really not harming anybody. The thing that harms people is when the Foundry 'community' take it upon themselves to kick up a fuss and get these missions removed, that harms the people who use them.

Why can't we all just accept that we'll all play the game the way we want to, doing the missions we like to do. If for some that's a grind mission, so be it, the rest of us will play the story missions.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
# 100
01-31-2013, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
I don't understand when you guys always throw this statement of "harming the Foundry community" around. At the end of the day, the people running the grinder missions probably wouldn't run the "normal" Foundry missions even if the grinders were disabled. So it's really not harming anybody. The thing that harms people is when the Foundry 'community' take it upon themselves to kick up a fuss and get these missions removed, that harms the people who use them.

Why can't we all just accept that we'll all play the game the way we want to, doing the missions we like to do. If for some that's a grind mission, so be it, the rest of us will play the story missions.
It's because the frequency a mission gets played depends on how far down the list it is. If you're in the top spot you'll get multiple plays per day. If you're way down you'll get maybe a couple per week if you're lucky.

Maybe this is what people don't realize, by dominating the list the grinders already are harming the story missions. The amount of plays they get is dramatically reduced since they're buried under so many other missions, because even though some people might be interested in them, many simply don't realize they're there. A lot of people will come into the Foundry and play Battleship Royal Rumble and think that's all there is to the Foundry.

When you look at missions that were made in less than 5 hours, and see they're all dominating the top of the list, resulting in your mission getting half as many plays, or less, than before, it makes you question how much effort you should put into making missions. I know I personally don't feel as motivated knowing that all the community at large wants is grind missions anyway, and anyone who does happen to be interested in story will have a difficult time finding my missions anyway.

Foundry authors have had a lot of complaints about the top rated list even prior to the grinders, but now those complaints are magnified even more.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 01-31-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 AM.