Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 41
01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
You can't really create anything that's a successful testbed for technology 100 years into the future...
The B-52, man. First built in 1952, the thing is still flying and they intend to keep flying it all the way until the 2040s...and that's pretty much a tentative date: They don't actually have any concrete plan to replace it. It would not come as any surprise if by 2101, they're still using it.
Captain
# 42
01-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
The B-52, man. First built in 1952, the thing is still flying and they intend to keep flying it all the way until the 2040s...and that's pretty much a tentative date: They don't actually have any concrete plan to replace it. It would not come as any surprise if by 2101, they're still using it.
They aren't testing new engines, computer systems, etc. on B-52's, though, which is the point I was refuting.

Operational lifetime is not the same thing was being a testbed for new technologies.
Starfleet Veteran
# 43
01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
They aren't testing new engines, computer systems, etc. on B-52's, though, which is the point I was refuting.

Operational lifetime is not the same thing was being a testbed for new technologies.
Incorrect, they often test new sensor / radar gear as well as certain ordinance delivery packages. Not too long ago they also planned new retrofits for jamming, long-area 'loitering', and even new engine packages, but these didn't go through because of funding cuts.
Captain
# 44
01-31-2013, 12:58 AM
Ok , so from time to time I had "nerdy" visitors and when I show them the game , twice I was asked to let them play w/the Galaxy .

I had to tell them that I don't play with that ship .
Then I had to explain why .
Twice .

If Cryptic is really "trolling" us with the gimped Tac stats of the Galaxy ... -- they are actually trolling themselves in a way , as in "better Galaxy = more players" .

But then again who would buy all those lockbox ships if ppl were happy with what they have ... ?

Oh , and if anyone thinks Cryptic incapable of "trolling" , look up the "king of Tank's" in STO's first 2 years of existence .
It's a 100 year old ship called Excelsior (w/borg set) .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Captain
# 45
01-31-2013, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
Ok , so from time to time I had "nerdy" visitors and when I show them the game , twice I was asked to let them play w/the Galaxy .

I had to tell them that I don't play with that ship .
Then I had to explain why .
Twice .

If Cryptic is really "trolling" us with the gimped Tac stats of the Galaxy ... -- they are actually trolling themselves in a way , as in "better Galaxy = more players" .

But then again who would buy all those lockbox ships if ppl were happy with what they have ... ?

Oh , and if anyone thinks Cryptic incapable of "trolling" , look up the "king of Tank's" in STO's first 2 years of existence .
It's a 100 year old ship called Excelsior (w/borg set) .
Don't kid yourself. Full fleet Galaxy-R with Venture skin is 4000 Zen. Maybe not exactly lockbox value. But certainly more than single Oddysey (2500 Zen). Also Venture is 25th design, so there goes the excuse "its old design".
Career Officer
# 46
01-31-2013, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drudgy View Post
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dreadnought

The only one to appear on screen was the Galaxy Dreadnought, but several references have been made to them having 3 nacelles. Also a book written in the 80's called Dreadnought! details a 3 nacelled TOS era vessel.
So there a bunch of books where a dreadnought that had 3 nacelles, so a ship with 3 nacelles is a dreadnought...?
That's not logic that's stupid.
Empire Veteran
# 47
01-31-2013, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
So there a bunch of books where a dreadnought that had 3 nacelles, so a ship with 3 nacelles is a dreadnought...?
That's not logic that's stupid.
It was on TV, not just in books. Check out the last episode of TNG
Which one will you be?

Career Officer
# 48
01-31-2013, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockey1979 View Post
It was on TV, not just in books. Check out the last episode of TNG
You don't get it, let my try again.
I buy my beer in bottles.
Does that mean every bottle I buy contains beer?
No, I also buy orange juice in bottles.

That's why reverse logic doesn't always work.
Career Officer
# 49
01-31-2013, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
The B-52 is a strategic bomber.
The mission profile of a strategic bomber is to enter an area AFTER air superiority is achieved and surface to air defenses have been eliminated.
Whcih means at that point there is nothing there that can harm the B-52.

That means something else is sent in earlier (actually into harm's way) to clear the area of enemy fighters ans SAMS.
Guess what...that is not done by fighters and fighter-bombers that are from the 1950's.
Why? Because it would be suicidal unless you're fighting some guys on donkeys with an RPG.

In Star Trek, the ships are not comparable to the B-52, they are comparable to the fighters that are actually sent into harm's way are actually going to get shot at.
Empire Veteran
# 50
01-31-2013, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
You don't get it, let my try again.
I buy my beer in bottles.
Does that mean every bottle I buy contains beer?
No, I also buy orange juice in bottles.

That's why reverse logic doesn't always work.
If you really want to mix things up, what about the ST:VOY episode called "Dreadnought", that was smaller than than the Intrepid class and more powerful.

Still, this is a game, leave logic at the login screen as it has no place in the game lol
Which one will you be?