Super Moderator
# 61
01-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
So, how do you get free lobi in game? I know about the 20 crystals spread out amongst the FE missions, but you guys are talking like there is another way to get free lobi without opening lockboxes.

So, how do you do it?
You can get one (and only one) per character by talking to a Ferengi named Grym at ESD (or going to Drozana) and doing the "Hacked Lockbox" mission. Similar process KDF-side.

So if you did nothing all day except create new characters, fly them to Drozana, collect Lobi and put them in the account bank, delete the character and repeat -- theoretically, you could pile up an unlimited amount one Lobi at a time. That's the exploit Cryptic talks about. Since you can't put them in the account bank, they're only good for one character only and thus no exploit.

Anything that freely allows you to transfer one Lobi at a time from one character to another opens the door to that exploit. Thus, one way to fix it is to make sure that Lobi can only be transferred in large enough quantities that the freebies become meaningless.

I would have to be brain-dead to tolerate grinding alts for Lobi, but you know there are some people out there who'd do it.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 62
01-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Through most of these threads - I'm left to wonder why players are blaming Cryptic because the player chose to open boxes on multiple toons. Outside of the BtC items in the boxes, well...what are the BtC items in the current box?

JHECs? Nope.
XFaction Consoles? Nope.
Mirror Ships? Nope.
Dominion DOFFs? Nope.
VIP Mining? Yep.
Preferred Mining? Yep.
Phased Polarons? Nope.
Gamma DOFFs? Nope.
Reinforcement DOFFs? Nope.
Lobi? Yep.

So the issue would actually be those Mining Packages with the current box, eh?

Cause otherwise, you're just going to open boxes on a toon that you're also considering buying something with Lobi or one that you're using as a box buying toon so you're not scattering your Lobi all over the place.

I mean, really - it's coming off like a "Damn you, Cryptic - I only needed 3 more Lobi and this box gave me 5! That's 2 wasted Lobi...curse you!" or folks just randomly opening boxes on random toons and thinking that's Cryptic's fault. No. It's their fault.

The Mining Packages though...that was a bad move. It's a major turnoff. IMHO, they should either look at making those BtA instead of BtC...or they should make them Refined or offer the chance to increase your Refinement.

As is, I'd rather get 4 Lobi and an 80k EC DOFF pack rather than get another one of those Mining things on the same toon.

Willard the Rat, Klingon Science Officer

Swordsman has a bounce to it...
Captain
# 63
01-28-2013, 10:28 AM
How about:

This toon could use this lobi store item. Ill save up for it.
*saves hundreds of lobi but doesnt reach the lobi amount*

... a new lockbox comes out. Has a lobi store item that another toon could really, really, REALLY use to complete their setup.

oh F me. Theres no way im saving hundreds of lobi on THIS toon when I already have hundreds in the other one. *frustration* F this to hell. *ceases to buy keys or bothering to open boxes*

...and cryptic loses one customer's business for the sake of preventing FREE lobi from being farmed during a once in a year event.. when they could simply REMOVE that free lobi and make all lobi account bound.

Also, the lobi drop items were not always btcharacter. The first 2 had bind on acquire stuff and thats where I and many others ended up with this freaking mess of lobi spread all over.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Captain
# 64
01-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't like the similarity in ambiguity in the Q's Appreciation bundle and the Holiday bundle. Bought the wrong one, and Cryptic's CS is (yet again) refusing to offer compensation/repackaging/replacement.

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
IMO: Season 9 was the best season, Devs were right to focus on bugfixing. Roll back Delta Rising to that.
Captain
# 65
01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
How about:

... a new lockbox comes out. Has a lobi store item that another toon could really, really, REALLY use to complete their setup.

oh F me. Theres no way im saving hundreds of lobi on THIS toon when I already have hundreds in the other one. *frustration* F this to hell. *ceases to buy keys or bothering to open boxes*

...and cryptic loses one customer's business for the sake of preventing FREE lobi from being farmed during a once in a year event.. when they could simply REMOVE that free lobi and make all lobi account bound.

Also, the lobi drop items were not always btcharacter. The first 2 had bind on acquire stuff and thats where I and many others ended up with this freaking mess of lobi spread all over.
The Lobi is only wasted if it is never used. Potential delayed use is not the same as never using it. Much of the concept behind how this works is based on people and their need for immediate gratification - have to have it yesterday, can't wait for it...need it now!

While it's not explicitly a generational thing, there's little doubt that it's more prevalent than it was. The environment allows for it to be such, and so it has developed as such.

I started collecting Lobi for an item on one of my toons back in Nov when I rerolled him (I rerolled all my toons before S7)... a 200 Lobi item. I'm at ~135 or so. I'm in no rush... I don't need it yesterday. Sure, I want it yesterday - I want it two months back, lol... but I don't need it.

One morning before I had my caffeine, I even popped a couple of boxes on the wrong toon. No big loss, somewhere down the road there's going to be something I want on that toon...

It's one of the few areas where I actually show some patience. The alternative, for me, is boredom. I hate boredom. If I had everything already...well...that would be kind of boring. Slowly working my way toward something while doing something that I enjoy - that works great for me. I don't want my entertainment to be a job...

Willard the Rat, Klingon Science Officer

Swordsman has a bounce to it...
Ensign
# 66 Lobi can be Discarded!
01-30-2013, 10:52 PM
The thing I hate most about Lobi is that its an item in your inventory and is subject to discard. I accdentally dragged a stack of 141 Lobi out of my inventory and because of a weird finger fumble confirmed the deletion.

Lobi should not appear in inventory it should be like GPL (or better yet just have GPL be the currency for the LObi store.)

You can't delete the other forms of currency by accident. This is a serious design flaw. Becasue of a freak accdent I am out significant amount of time and money due to something the developers should never have permitted to be subject to discard.

Maybe I am the only fool to have this happen too, but I probably am going to boycott the lockboxes they just seem to be a source of disappointment for me.
Starfleet Veteran
# 67
01-31-2013, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
How about:

Yes, adding that the item you want on the other toon is bound on pick up so you can't purchase it with the Lobi on the toon that has it and transfer it over to the toon that could use it. This is the sole reason I am saying that Cryptic is EXPLOITING it's player base. These Lobi are not free game content.
To not allow us to transfer items or move the Lobi where we need it, well you tell me what that is called...
Captain
# 68
01-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusdeadman View Post
Yes, adding that the item you want on the other toon is bound on pick up so you can't purchase it with the Lobi on the toon that has it and transfer it over to the toon that could use it. This is the sole reason I am saying that Cryptic is EXPLOITING it's player base. These Lobi are not free game content.
To not allow us to transfer items or move the Lobi where we need it, well you tell me what that is called...
http://www.fanboy.com/wp-content/upl...1249904439.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg