Survivor of Romulus
# 21
02-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
Actually, companies do do this, mainly because it encourages you to spend your money buying their product combined with the fact that your old graphics card is worth a certain amount of money.

It even might make sense to a certain degree with purely digital products since getting partial "store credit" for your old products entices you to spend more money but I doubt it will make much business sense to Cryptic. For starters, the mechanics of the game make it difficult to sell back things like Character slots or c-store ships (they would, for instance, have to ensure you have none of the consoles on any of your characters).

Given the hassle and the fact that it is not clear that it would encourage more Zen sales, I doubt Cryptic would ever do it.
However, I have never come across a company doing this a full year after purchase, unless you were trading in a car. I've seen discounted upgrades if the upgrade happened within 3 or 4 months.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravin View Post
The problem is your suggestion doesn't make any business sense. It's like I buy a video card, and 1 year down the road I tire of it. The company that sold me the card isn't going to buy it back from me for me to buy a new one, they would lose money. In the grand scheme of things you're squabling over 100-200 Z-Points or $1-$2 savings. I honestly don't think $1-$2 is truly stopping you from buying the Ody set. Just discharge the ship you don't want and never pick it up again.
One of the few replies that actually discuss the matter at hand. Seems the 12th fleet has a sense for the essential.

Yes, I agree. There will be lots of players who like you calculate in hard cash and would not bother unless they get some kind of a full refund. If 99% of all players feel like that than this thread is useless.

But in the different threads regarding similar topics I have also met those who like me would like to get rid of stuff for good, but would not part from their old stuff without any benefits at all. It's not about $1-$2 or business!! I just want to get rid of something for good and get a little back so I don't have the feeling of making a complete waste. It's like getting the wrong duty officer. When you discharge him, you still get 1 dillithium (basically useless), but still makes me happy, because it was not a complete waste. That's also why I will never get the Ody bundle or the Vesta bundle, knowing that I can still use the Dreadnaught or the Intrepid which more or less could fill a similar role. Or to follow your example, I always sell my old video card although it's only worth 5$. I could throw it away, but I don't, because it still works and it would be a shame to throw away something that still works. The same issue with washing machines which sadly never break.
Ensign
# 23
02-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulisvel View Post
So you paid for it, used and enjoyed it, and now want to return it for as much of your money back as you can?
guys have been wishing the same thing for marriage for millenniums
Career Officer
# 24
02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Requoting from that other thread you made, wich is cleverly disguised as not being the same as this one:

Recapping 3 years of STO discussion, and prob even more in Champs:

Never - Going - To - Happen
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmarsh View Post
I made a mistake buying that year worth of zoo pass! At the time it sounded like a great idea. We love the zoo. Bit it's 2 hours away & after 3 visits in 6 months not much is changing with that oversized bear or the stinky goats in the petting zoo. I just wish they give me something to turn that in. Even if its $20! Or let me sale that pass to someone else but I can't! Unless I find a family of 5 with our same names!'

Why won't they!! Well because they are a bussiness. They want to sale full price passes to other people. Not let me sale mine or return mine even for exchange of a hat. That is bussiness.

You know one more thing... I'm a day one player. Been a 6 month sub for... Well 3 years. I stuck around for vet rewards. My sub payment was due 2 weeks before the 1000 day and last vet reward. I paid for another 6 month to reach that 1000 day. My next payment is due March. I have no intention to pay for a sub after march because no point. I just wish they would end my sub early. I would return my 1000 day ship, the blue vet post if they would just give me something! 500 zen would be nice! Hey I am sticking around!! Ill even use more than the 500 zen refund. In the end it would be good for them because I am happy! I am sure there is also some lifers that would give it up for a little something something
I see we start to understand each other.

But let's just assume you could kick that 1000 day ship you hate so much and never gonna use again and you could get 10,000 dilithium in exchange that you need elsewhere, wouldn't you be tempted to take it? You could buy the ship you really want right now and not worry, it will replace an older ship you once bought. You would sell your car if it's still worth a dime as long as you have buyer right in front of you, would you not? Again selling, buying or return may be the wrong term in our case, but you know what I mean.

Looking from Cryptic's side: What is so bad to pay 10,000 dillithium and help a player get rid of junk, if this would motivate him to get a replacement worth tons of ZEN? Car companies make lots of money through leasing and in contrast to my proposal they actually pay back 40% of the original cost.

At least that's how I feel. If I'm the only one feeling like that, I apologize for opening this discussion. But I really don't think I am alone.
Rihannsu
# 26
02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
But let's just assume you could kick that 1000 day ship you hate so much and never gonna use again and you could get 10,000 dilithium in exchange that you need elsewhere, wouldn't you be tempted to take it?
First, the 1000 days ship is a PERK for being a 1000 days subscriber or lifer.

This is exchanging something you never payed a dime for for something and dont give me "but you brought the ship" as I had point out, perk.

You are trying to turn STO into a used car dealership, unsurprising I am against it because this would just make Cryptic to go fully into a arms race with older iconic ship being obsolete.
Career Officer
# 27
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
As stated in the 'Terms of Service' agreement, (which by continuing to play STO, you've made an agreement of...)

Quote:
17. Fees

PWE may charge fees to access and acquire certain game items or participate in game activities on the Website and may allow the purchase of in game "points" that may be applied to the purchase of in game items or activities ("Zen") ANY APPLICABLE ZEN, FEES AND OTHER CHARGES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NON REFUNDABLE AND NONTRANSFERABLE, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FOR ANY REASON. ZEN HAVE NO MONETARY VALUE AND CANNOT BE REDEEMED FOR CASH.
http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
As stated in the 'Terms of Service' agreement, (which by continuing to play STO, you've made an agreement of...)

http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms
I know it is not refundable. I am not asking it is refundable or not. I am suggesting they change it a little.
Ensign
# 29
02-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
I know it is not refundable. I am not asking it is refundable or not. I am suggesting they change it a little.
No offense but if they started doing this(which will NEVER happen) PWE would become the laughing stock of the f2p industry. This would mean a big overhaul of the way C-store ships, and the equipment they contain, are handled in game. This would basically make C-store ships a single character, one time buy and they prolly would no longer let you put the equipment from them on other ships. Not to mention all the changes to the TOS they would have to make.

Long story short....its too much work and not worth the effort no matter how you try to spin it.
Career Officer
# 30
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravin View Post
However, I have never come across a company doing this a full year after purchase, unless you were trading in a car. I've seen discounted upgrades if the upgrade happened within 3 or 4 months.
Um, I just told you that companies do this with video cards. Even Best Buy got into this, offering you store credit to turn in your old electronics.

It actually makes pretty good business sense.