Survivor of Remus
# 11
01-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Awesome tips guys.

I've posted up to Episode 45 on Youtube. We're up to The Doomsday Device mission in STO and I've got to say it's probably the best mission I've played in this go-through.
Ensign
# 12
01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
You can stop the fleet invites. Go to the SOCIAL tab (the three people on the right side of the minimap), select PRIVACY (in the lower right corner), then turn off fleet invites.
Ensign
# 13
01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
The Galaxy Class curisers turn VERY slowly. They aren't the worst turning ships in the game, but they are closs. I've found them to be an unpleasant interlude between tier III and V Excelsiors, which I like much better.

Because they turn slowly, keeping an enemy in the forward arc is a problem. There are tricks, such as moving at ? speed to get a better turn rate or going in reverse, which a captain has to learn. Still, a Galaxy captain spends a lot of time with the enemy to the sides and astern of him. You have already experienced this yourself.

[NOTE: to keep people from staying in reverse, the developers put in a reverse power drain. It takes power from all your systems. This drain can be defeated by switching into forward motion, then back into reverse.]

Low turn rates don't match well with limited firing arc weapons. Dual cannon won't go on a tier IV Exploration Cruiser, so that isn't an issue, but dual beam banks and torpedo launchers only have a 90? arc. Standard beam arrays give a 250? arc, which is a much better match for this ship. You might consider replacing one of the forward torpedos with another phaser. This would boost your broadside firepower by 25% (or more, depending on the phaser).

Blue colored retrofit phasers are available from the mission "Evertything Old is New". This is a relatively fast and simple mission, which I suspect was meant to be a phaser farm. You can get a Mk VIII retrofit phaser with bonuses to both critical hit chance and damage, which is more powerful than the retrofit phasers you are using now.
Ensign
In this episode you uses a Mk VI Regenerative Shield Array with bonuses to regeneration and plasma resistance. The Klingons don't use plasma weapons, so that 2nd bonus was of no value.

The regenerative shield is weaker that the other types, but regenerates faster, especially with that extra regen bonus. It can be quite effective IF you're actively managing it. This shield type isn't good if you leave it on it's own. [NOTE: what I say below goes for all shields, but regeneratives need it the most.]

You have four shield facings, and each regenerates separately. You've only been using the regenerative powers of the facings being hit, and let the other facings sit idle. What you should do is constantly move strength from the facings not being hit into those that are. This lets you take advantage of the maximum regeneration of you shield, with all four facings working at full capacity.

Both you and your tactical officer can do this. F'irr has a power called Tactical Team, which automatically balances the shield strength for 10 seconds. However, you can't always use it. Tactical team, engineering team, and science team all share a cooldown. Trigger one, and you must wait before using another.

You can balance the shields manually. There's the icon on your screen which shows your ship and the shield facings around it. Each facing has an arrow you can click on to reinforce it. You can also click on the ship itself, to balance the shield facings equally. But instead of moving your mouse aroung the screen, it's better to assign slots in your power bar to these functions, as Brent Justice showed you in his video. This lets you rebalance by just pressing a key.

In the early days of the game, weapons couldn't autofire. Players would tie both the weapons and the shield balance function to the space bar. Every time they fired their weapons they also balanced their shields. Some still do this.
Ensign
# 15 Your shields, part II
01-22-2013, 05:43 AM
You have other ways to improve shield regeneration. Your science officer has the power Transfer Shield Strength, which gives a bonus to shield regeneration. Your engineer has Emergency Power to Shields, which also improves regeneration by giving the shields more energy.

You can also put shield batteries in one of your ship'd device slots, then assign a key in your power bar to the battery. This gives a bonus of 70 points of energy to your shield, for a limited time.

For passive shield regeneration bonuses, I'd recommend you replace your tachyon deflector array and flow capacitor science console. These are used for boosting science officer attacks, which you have no ability to make. It's a matter of bridge officer space: only science ships have enough science BOFF slots to use both offensive and defensive powers. As long as you're driving cruisers, science slots are limited. The Exploration Cruiser is above average in having two science officer positions, yet between them they have only three powers, and two of those are ensign level. You're better off filling them with defensive abilities.

You want to get the positron deflector array. It gives bonuses to both shields and structural integrity.

Try to get a science console called the Shield Emitter Amplifier. It gives a bonus to your regeneration rate. Look on the exchange, and you'll see they're quite expensive. That's because everyone who's been around for awhile is carrying at least one. There's another science console called an Emitter Array, which gives a boost to your shield heals. It's also worth looking at.

When you can use Mk XI equipment, you'll want to look at the Field Generator console. This gives a bonus to total shield strength. It's best to make your own, because they currently sell for 1.6 million + EC on the exchange.
Captain
# 16
01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Episode 42 and 43 - I mailed you my comments on this earlier already.

Episode 44
  • Though you've been cutting out the loading screens, I think I noticed noe bit saying that it was downloading a patch. If you want, in the launcher, you can click on Options and check Disable on-demand patching. If you do this, it will download all the optional files and reduce your load screen time. The drawback, is you may have a couple gigabytes more to download first.
  • Using Evasive to move faster at times when you can't use full impulse is good. If there had been a longer distance to travel, you would have also wanted to switch your ship power presets to transfer more power to the engines.
  • The Horta was trying to attack all your enemies, you just kept killing them first.
  • You can press 'F' once to take items (or scan anomalies), and then you can press 'F' again to 'Take All', if you don't want to have to use the mouse to click the button every time.
  • Don't forget that for more difficult ground fights, you can use aim mode (press X) to do more damage, and crouch (press C) to raise your defense. And don't forget your kit abilities too. During the Experimental Augment fight, you could have put up your forcefield to keep them from hitting you.
  • You should put all your anomalies, and anything else you don't always use in the Bank.

Episode 46
  • Your klingon ship had a cloak you could have used. Also, you could have assigned your bridge officers to stations on the ship so you could have had access to some of their abilities.
  • With your enthusiasm for anomalies, maybe you're a science officer at heart!
  • The Doomsday Machine mission is one of the few that the devs got time to get around and 'Remaster' which is why it's higher quality than usual. The devs have been going back and remastering old episodes once in a while when there's time and resources to do so.

Episode 47
  • They didn't forget to remove Q, there (was) a double XP weekend going. Talking to him would have given you a buff that doubles the XP and Expertise earned for the duration.
  • Don't forget you can customize the look of your ship a fair bit, mixing and matching various parts, windows, colors, patterns, and so on. If you prefer iconic ships, you can make the Exloration Cruiser Refit look like the Enterprise D, if you wanted.0
  • For the bridge officers you bring with you on away teams, you should upgrade their ground skills so they are more useful to you. Just go with whatever skills you think look good for them.
  • You can change what skills Bridge Officers have. Visit the Bridge Officer trainer on ESD to do so. (You can also have existing bridge officer candidates train their skills to your officers, but at this point in time, you have no pressing need to do this.)
  • If you click on the (I) icon next to the mission in the mission log, that will bring up the full text of the mission which includes where you need to go.
  • If you press F12, you can rearrange your HUD to, for example, make your bridge officer ability bar longer so that it takes up one line instead of two.
  • You may also want to press 'P' to bring up your list of Powers and any to your action bar that you are missing.

Episode 48
  • You don't need better shields, just make use of your abilities. Emergency Power to Shields, Transfer Shield Strength, Rotate Shield Frequencies, Science Team, and Tactical Team are all abilities you currently have that can help in that regard.
  • Note: Regenerative shield arrays, if you compare the stats to others, regenerate quickly, but have a lower maximum capacity than other types.
  • The Harpeng torpedo does a initial damage on hit, then some damage from the radiation, and then a secondary internal explosion, which is what happens when you see the purple ring fly out.

Episode 49
  • You ask "How is there a Tetryon Sniper Rifle in the 23rd Century?" You ARE on the Worvig, which is B'Vat's ship from the 24th Century.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Captain
# 17
02-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Episode 50
  • Nelan - Actually, listening is a keyword, along with wanderer. He's an El-Aurian, the same race as Guinan.
  • Aw, you didn't ask Tasha or Castillo to talk about themselves. You already know their stories of course, but it's nostalgic.
  • Don't forget, what of your most useful abilities as an Engineering Captain is Rotate Shield Frequencies. So you didn't quite press every single button.
  • You did miss a few things in the mission, some other accolades and bonus stuff, but you found most of it.
  • There's also a special Q mission where you can get the thing that lets you blow the baloons. Q's in Club 47 if you get there before the event ends (February 14th). It's a quick daily.
  • If the balloons lag you too much, you can go into Options > Video > Show Advanced Video Settings > Max Physics Depris Objects and reduce the number. Putting it to 0 will make it so that no balloons show up at all.
  • The Yesterday's Enterprise uniform isn't a 'uniform' per se. I haven't tried using it myself, but I believe it's a set of attachments and a belt or sash that you can equip that, combined with the existing uniforms available, allow you to recreate the uniforms seen on Yesterday's Enterprise.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Ensign
# 18 Keeping the thread alive
03-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Just posting this so the thread doesn't close. Hope you're moved in and posting new videos soon.