Career Officer
I was thinking a bit more about Stahl's comments that the character creator will get revamped totally in May, his comments that faction will be "resolved", and that we will select as many or more traits.

And I think what we will get, prior to costuming a character, is a three column screen like this:

Column 1: Species (These set costume restrictions and additions and come with some stat buffs formerly baked into species. Example: Mindmeld, Corrosive Blood, Honorable. Probably with equal balance of ground and space buffs and at least 1 active ground ability.)

Andorian
Bajoran‎
Benzite‎
Betazoid‎
Bolian‎
Caitian‎ (Locked)
Ferasan (Locked)
Ferengi‎
Gorn
Hirogen (Locked)
Human
Joined Trill (Locked)
Klingon
Lethean
Liberated Borg (Locked)
Nausicaan
Orion
Pakled
Rigelian
Romulan (Locked)
Saurian
Tellarite
Trill
Vulcan
Custom

Column 2: Ground Traits (Choose 4, all available to all species; might be broken down into active and passive with a "choose 2 of each" approach; some may receive an added bonus for picking a certain species, ie. telepathic may get a bonus for Betazoids, Vulcans, Romulans, Remans, etc.)

Accurate
Acute Senses
Aggressive
Cold Dwelling
Covert
Creative
Efficient Captain
Elusive
Limited Telepathy
Lucky
Mental Discipline
Natural Immunities
Nerve Pinch
Pacifist
Peak Health
Physical Strength
Resilient
Seductive
Soldier
Stubborn
Sturdy
Surefooted
Teamwork
Techie
Telekinetic

Third Column: Faction (May be restricted based on species chosen; determines additional dialogue options, DOff assignments, ships pilotable; for example, with Ferengi or Custom Alien selected, you may be able to choose any one of the three):

Federation
Klingon
Romulan (Locked)

All entries marked (Locked) are things I anticipate being C-Store unlocks. I'd imagine that once in place, you'd see Species, Trait Bundles, and Factions all on the C-Store. With Cardassians and Non-Aligned coming soon. Profession selection may also wind up on the same screen with additional professions being added later. Some species specific. Some faction specific.