Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Career Officer
# 11
02-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post

Do I think its wrong? Yes because Fleets should be a community ... not a shop, Cryptic turn then into shops were people sell goods, goods they acquired by spending money on them and few have the feeling of sharing something they helped create with their fellow guildmembers ... instead is a good and I should not even go over who actually PAYED for provisions because I am pretty sure some officers that are taking the 25 millions into their accounts payed exactly zero for it.
that's about the fleet's policy itself and how close it works as a micro-community. actually i agree that fleet's not should be "shops", but on the other hand i love that most of the best ships are fleetships. and you just have to play the game to get em, you can't buy em with real money. only with distributions+time, or now sometimes with ec (+fleet credits and fsm in some cases, which are also obtainable with ec...) which also takes time and effort to gain.
actually i build my own starbase with some help of a friend because i don't wanna be in a fleet with people i don't know personally. f.e. i bought the recon-sci-vessel (4tac consoles) from my own t2 shipyard...
so again OP and as stated elsewhere: take your time and look out for proper people to be with, that's the easiest way ....

Klink: House of Beautiful - J'Luc/Rom: Lag Industries - D'Waste/Fed-Sci: Lag Industries - IAM
Join Date Hoster: Dec 2011 - Join Date Symbiont: 1403 A.D. and not a dull moment
PvP improvements, coming since 2010 lol

Last edited by wast33; 02-01-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Captain
# 12
02-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicha0 View Post
Why would a fleet with a T5 starbase (which has costs of about $7000 if you used the dil exchange) want to give you something when you didn't help in the least?
There is another question.

From that point when all upgrades are completed how can someone help?

Sure they can run the 30 minute projects because they were meant exactly for that, generate Fleet Credits (even if, as expected, they screwed up by forcing all projects to have something more that Fleet Marks input making such projects to eventually stall for new players) and sure there are the provisioning projects, upgraded right to T5 requirements (again, potentially leading to stalling) but fact is anyone that comes after its done is not going to help building the Starbase.

So are Fleets now just for Alts?

That is why I said the only good thing is the 500 limit because the Megafleets will reach that point ... to a degree (they cannot as if that will prevent their Alts from joining and leaving and also of being able to sell their access to T5) leaving only the smaller Fleets being able to take new players that really have no choice, Megafleets will not take then because Alts and Shop and they cannot generate the amounts to pay to but access to those stores.

Fat Cats getting Fatter ...

Also as I pointed out ... community, "helping" is not when I am expecting a payment and the payment is provisions and access and right now this is what the Fleet system is, payments.

Also I kindly shown a alternative, Public Fleets ... equal access, tiered payment model.
Captain
# 13
02-01-2013, 08:49 PM
It is game design 101 to not put things impossibly out of reach of new players. Cryptic seems to have ignored this.

So did EVE..and its been bleeding itself to death for years now.

Fleets..fine. Starbases..fine. Social play..fine.

... but making fleet membership mandatory to be able to acquire gear to remain competitive AND making the leveling of said fleets so inanely long and resource consuming PLUS limit fleet sizes? Its idiotic.

In this regard EVE made a much better job. A 'fleet' in Eve can sell its hard earned wares to non-fleet members.

This could be done in STO as well. Simply up the price of fleet stuff significantly and allow it to be sold on the exchange. The cash goes to the fleet bank not in EC's but in dilithium.

Buyer pays in dilithium. Through the exchange.

So, if I wanted to buy a Fleet Nebula I could go to exchange, find one that costs 300k dilithium, pay it and get my ship in a box. The dilithium goes to the fleet that sold it and cannot be withdrawn by a fleet player. It goes into fleet projects 'contribute' system.

Fleets 'build' ships via projects that cost them EC-dilithium-personnel-items.

The same goes for consoles and such.

And again, seeing how EVE's market system works so well, fleets can get significant discounts from constantly upgrading their starbase installations to build specific items. Aka shipyard upgrades reduce cost to make ships. Engineering installations reduce the production and cost time of items, etc,etc.

Its doable with a little work. Problem is Cryptic is a PGI puppet company and the ONLY thing that matters is monetizing not improving the game. All the new content and junk that comes out is focused entirely on that and on creating a market for microtransactions.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Career Officer
# 14
02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
You should check out the fleet forums here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

There most likely is one that fits your needs. And you are welcome to check out the 44th too. We are more than halfway past T4, and should be at T5 in less than a month. Close enough that you don't have to wait forever, but far enough to give you plenty of time to earn some fleet credits. Website is in my sig.
# 15
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
There are plenty of fleets that are accepting of new members, you just need to know how to find them. Generally, fleets that are built around shared interests or a community that isn't STO-specific are more easygoing than fleets that are built for the sole purpose of achieving fleet rewards. Just don't be one of those guys that joins, pillages the fleet bank, and leaves.
Captain
# 16
02-01-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm of the opinion that the exclusivity of Fleet Ships and Gear is the selling point of the new fleet progression system - the reward for investing in a fleet rather than playing solo (nothing wrong with the latter, mind you). It makes little sense for me for new players to participate in a fleet and yet demand the same gear as fleet-based players - you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I myself want a Fleet Intrepid, and I've got my Fleet Modules and other commodities all lined up - except that my fleet shipyard is still Tier 3. I'll just be patient and help my fleet along with the upgrades.

Of course, ideally, I think there ought to be similar gear for veteran solo players as for fleet players, but perhaps with modifiers specific to both - for instance, elite solo gear could focus on survivability and independent operations, whilst fleet gear could focus on coordinated attacks or AoE support/heals.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Career Officer
# 17
02-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Our fleet isn't like that either, but if we were t5 and there was this influx of people that want to use our fleet, buy what they want and leave? We might be. We pride our fleet as feeling like a family, we don't need anyone to come in and not be that.

Once you hit a T5 shipyard there is still much to do for the fleet, you have engineering and science and nobody has all 3 yet. Chances are these people will take off, since they are the greedy type anyway.
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Captain
# 18
02-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Hold up, the difference between Fleet ships and non-Fleet version is that "fleet ships do not come with a special console but typically have +10% Hull HP, +10% Shields and a 10th console slot." Besides EC cost that's it?

If the ship you want (not need) can only be acquire from a Tier 5 Military starbase, then I suggest the stress is not worth the effort.

At the same time, it's not an impossible goal. Ultimately, you will need to employ some sort of personal honor. In other words, use some etiquette and just a wee bit of patience.

* Look for a Fleet on the forums - don't shop in zone chat, don't accept blind invites
* Once you join one, don't take anything from the Fleet - donate to the Fleet for a certain period of time and a month or two is a good marker of committment I think.
* Be active with the Fleet - the vets who built the base (without you) need to feel comfortable you are not taking advantage of their effort
* Get what you want
* Win the game

After that, you can do what you want with the Fleet. But who knows - you may have actually (omg) made friends and found a great online community that makes your gameplay more rewarding than a single starship.

As William Osler said, "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life." I'd suggest the same applies to your situation in an online game.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Ensign
# 19
02-02-2013, 09:11 AM
quick solution ...disband your tiny dissmal fleet and join a real one...people w tier 5 shipyards worked hard to acquire them over years sorry u cant join and have a tier 5 fleet 2 weeks later,theres already too many fleets
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
02-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Maybe they should start a Starfleet/KDF reputation line, where you can progress through solo on a similar average investment than a community fleet.
On the factions main base you would find a special ship vendor that sells you stock fleet ships without special skins but comparable stats.