Lt. Commander
Okay after searched for "officer" i gave up reading after the 100th thread.
I am new to this game and in the tutorial. I rolled a tactical officer role and now i have to choose a bridge officer and i can choose between a science, tact or engineer.

All i have found out after reading thread after thread is that BO's are very important so this first choice of a BO is not a little choice but the information is limited.

Since i rolled a tactical officer myself is it overkill to choose the tactical BO? Is it better to choose another BO? I mean if there was not a officer role for your char i would choose a tact officer but if my role is the same as a BO then i would take another BO.

Why is such an important thing so little described. It is a tutorial!
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
The first couple of missions after the tutorial give you the chance to pick up the other two officers anyway so the choice in the tutorial isn't that big a deal really, it comes down to what power you want first essentially, high yield torpedo from the tac officer, emergency power to shields from the engi and tacyon beam from the sci. whichever you shoce you won't hamstring yourself as the choice of power does't really start to matter much until you get yor first new ship by which time you'll probably have a much better understanding of how bridge officers work.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-11-2010, 07:27 PM
I usually take the Tac officer. But, as stated, you get others fairly quickly from missions. Also, if you don't want to wait on the missions you can just go to ESD and get the others at the 'bo broker' in personnel after a mission or 2 to build up some currency.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
It's not really an important choice. You pick your first BO to run through the tutorial with you. Your first mission after the Tutoral (Stranded in Space) you'll get another as the mission reward, and the next mission after that you'll get another BO choice. So after 3 missions you can have your entire BO team finished. You can also buy 1 BO with merits on Sol Station if you don't want to wait, or want a specific type of BO.

I usually start with the Tac BO so I can get the High Yield Torpedos. That gives me a little extra firepower in the Tutorial and the first mission. My second BO is Engineering to get the Emergency Power to Shields. My last BO is the Science. Of course now I have a Liberated Borg and a Holo BO so I pick the Tac during the Tutorial and have all 3 for all my missions.
Ensign
# 5
02-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Since I can't make any threads on my own, I've to necro this.

I just started playing STO again after I gave it only a very quick look months ago. I played the tutorial and was awarded a Tactical BO, whose looks I would be able to customize after the tutorial.

Now here's the problem, I wanted to pick an Engi BO first, but actually had no choice even though the mission said "Pick your first BO". The Tactical BO was simply assigne to me. Is that something introduced in a new patch? Secondly, I have now finished the tutorial, yet am not asked to modify my BO's appearance. How do I do that?
Lieutenant
# 6
02-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilski View Post
Since I can't make any threads on my own, I've to necro this.

I just started playing STO again after I gave it only a very quick look months ago. I played the tutorial and was awarded a Tactical BO, whose looks I would be able to customize after the tutorial.

Now here's the problem, I wanted to pick an Engi BO first, but actually had no choice even though the mission said "Pick your first BO". The Tactical BO was simply assigne to me. Is that something introduced in a new patch? Secondly, I have now finished the tutorial, yet am not asked to modify my BO's appearance. How do I do that?
To change the look of yourself or your officers you need to go to the talor, he is located on esd in the room after Club 47 (beam in, make left, 2nd room on left) the first change is useually free and the rest you need to pay for (in game money [Engenry Credits] erned threw doing missions / mission drops {selling them (right clik >>> sell item)}

As for the First Bo being Giving to u without you able to choose it, im sorry i dont have a anwser for this on, i havent done the tut mission in a long while

Also, bact to the OP

You can also pick officers up on the Exchange for dirt cheep, and good ones (color wise [Green = uncomon, Blue = Rare, Purple = Very Rare) I would stay away from the Purple ones as tehy will be very expencive, but the blues (last time i checked) are around 1000ec and thats easy to get if you sell mission drops

Now to anwser your question about what was my first choice
I chose Sci, and went to the Exchange and bought my other 3 and i got blues, and then i redid there skills (trained them to do different skills) i made my sci a full medic, engineer with the stuff i wanted, a tact, and i got another sci to back up the first)
My Boff Layout, My toon is VA so you will see others {2nd, 3rd and 4th skills, but you get the idea}
and i have NO trouble playing ground like everyone does lol, SPACE SUCKS THO so i didnt bother doing my boff for it
Ensign
# 7
02-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the help on the tailoring. Not being able to pick a BO in the tutorial remains weird though. They must have changed it since the game was first released.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7...020300001q.jpg
Lieutenant
# 8
02-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the help on the tailoring. Not being able to pick a BO in the tutorial remains weird though. They must have changed it since the game was first released.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7...020300001q.jpg
hmm, maybe they did change it then, also i see you found a workaround to the screenshot button (the one that doesnt take a shot of the userinterface), but there is a better one that will get the hud too, try /screenshot_ui (iirc) it will give you a screenshot of the whole screen with the user interface, or even hit print screen and open paint and press edit >>> paste

just as of curisty, did it let you talk to the other officers that were in that room?
cuz you talk to them then ask them to join (iirc) it looks like you only talked to the tact guy (first guy) and maybe didnt hit back or something, i would check this out but im at work atm, sorry
Ensign
# 9
02-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Lol, no workaround, just STEAM + F12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alax2011 View Post
just as of curisty, did it let you talk to the other officers that were in that room?
cuz you talk to them then ask them to join (iirc) it looks like you only talked to the tact guy (first guy) and maybe didnt hit back or something, i would check this out but im at work atm, sorry
I did talk to all of them and in fact made sure I talked to the Engi last, but it makes no difference.
Lieutenant
# 10
02-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Lol, no workaround, just STEAM + F12

I did talk to all of them and in fact made sure I talked to the Engi last, but it makes no difference.
hmm then yea, they must of changed it, sorry, your best bet is to try what i posted a couple of post above (buying blues or any u want from the exchange, that will be ur best bet)

Sorry cant help you any better than that