Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
# 1 Server upgrade system ??
02-03-2013, 07:49 PM
dear cryptic/perfect world tech team;

hi im a technician who tests games out and the hardware for them, and have extensive knowledge in computer hardware upgrade/assembly and some basic coding experience but was wondering if you guys might try testing a system similar to the specs below as a possible server for startrek online [ i realize that this may cost a bit but will be worth the effort in the long run!]

all prices are from pccasegear.com

Asus p9x79 motherboard $239
Intel i7 3930k $589 [6 core cpu]
Kingston kvr133D3N9/8gb $45 x8 [= 64gb ram]
corsair hydro h60 SE cooler $89 [water cool closed loop for cpu]
Western Digital RE 4tb wd4000fyyz $499 each [ this is the raid edition designed drives]
thermaltake toughpower 1000w psu $245
Fractal design define xl titanium or black $195 [ this case allows for 10 hdds]
and bieng a server based pc any cheap gfx card will do

i realize that as a customer who plays on your servers my opinions may not weigh that much but this may help in boosting your server capabilities, as i have no idea of what your server specs are i couldn't tell you by how much.

my resume is linked below in case you doubt my qualifications :

https://www.seek.com.au/MyAccount/Vi...me?id=11077192
Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
# 2
02-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3sm View Post
my resume is linked below in case you doubt my qualifications :

https://www.seek.com.au/MyAccount/Vi...me?id=11077192
"Sorry, we can't find the page you're looking for.

Could be a typo? If not, try some of the links below.
Or, use the form to let us know more about what happened."

because you linked the one you can see from My Accounts


I'm only a [hospital] scientist, not an IT guy, but I'm fairly sure you are underestimating the complexity of an MMO server. By a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
This is my favorite part of those who claim cruisers do mad DPS.

They never share their build.

Last edited by bacfe; 02-03-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: italics and bolding because it's funny
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
# 3
02-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacfe View Post
"Sorry, we can't find the page you're looking for.

Could be a typo? If not, try some of the links below.
Or, use the form to let us know more about what happened."

because you linked the one you can see from My Accounts
this is weird as the link is to download the pdf and works on several computers here anyways here is another link

http://au.linkedin.com/pub/james-mikhail/65/1b1/a7a/
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 199
# 4
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Why are you suggesting home PC enthusiast parts for a company's server build?
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
# 5
02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
well for a start 2011 socket is being focused by intel as server based tech and is not really a home system tho you can use it for that purpose, plus the re wd hdd are hdd designed for raid and servers , if you notice even xeon cpu are being slowly converted to 2011 socket as well

so technology wise its more feasible to use a 6 core cpu with a mobo that supports upto 64gb of ram and also combination of re hdds turns this system into a server and not a home pc

home pc enthusiast shouldn't really be looking into 2011 unless its a show off factor or they intend to turn there systems into servers as well

1155 socket pcs are more than enough for any pc enthusiasts

the closed loop water cooler is just to keep stability and coolness so the system can run longer

this is just the rant of a hardware consultant anyways
Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
# 6
02-05-2013, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3sm View Post
this is weird as the link is to download the pdf and works on several computers here anyways here is another link

http://au.linkedin.com/pub/james-mikhail/65/1b1/a7a/
That's because when I try to look at yours, because your URL specifies the resume in My Account, it tries to look for my resume in My Accounts.

I'm also sorry if I refuse to take a TAFE student with no practical experience in actual network infrastructure seriously in this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3sm View Post
well for a start 2011 socket is being focused by intel as server based tech and is not really a home system tho you can use it for that purpose, plus the re wd hdd are hdd designed for raid and servers , if you notice even xeon cpu are being slowly converted to 2011 socket as well

so technology wise its more feasible to use a 6 core cpu with a mobo that supports upto 64gb of ram and also combination of re hdds turns this system into a server and not a home pc

home pc enthusiast shouldn't really be looking into 2011 unless its a show off factor or they intend to turn there systems into servers as well

1155 socket pcs are more than enough for any pc enthusiasts

the closed loop water cooler is just to keep stability and coolness so the system can run longer

this is just the rant of a hardware consultant anyways
Your lack of knowledge and research in how actual, real, big-boys servers are maintained is disturbing, and does not do you any credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
This is my favorite part of those who claim cruisers do mad DPS.

They never share their build.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
# 7
02-05-2013, 02:00 AM
for the most part, their servers are fine. it's their network infrastructure that's lacking. you can have the best hardware out there, but if you don't have the bandwidth -- you're going no where. the fact of the matter is that they have two major pipelines servicing the entire world. pipeline 1 or the u.s. proxy is serviced by a company called cogent communications. pipeline 2 or the e.u. and subsequent non-us proxy is serviced by a company called internap network services corporation. cogent's traffic is routed through boston, while internap's is routed new york city. with all that's happened with hurricane sandy in these two cities, i can almost guarantee that their networks are not running at 100% capacity.

combine that with the fact that they're using the same servers and bandwidth to host the live (holodeck) servers and the test servers (tribble and red shirt) all the while maintaining a seperate server for voice and in game chat and email communication and you can see the issues presented.

rubberbanding? server not responding? frequent disconnects? has very little to do with their actual servers. it's really on their internet providers and how they've structured their server farm.

it's amazing the amount of information you can find on the interwebs.
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
# 8
02-05-2013, 05:36 AM
xsharpex thanx for clearing that up like i said i didnt know what they used for servers so i was ignorant to there bandwidth
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 AM.