Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 11
02-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Um... ok...

First off, defiant only has 3 rear weapons. Sooo yeah. Here's a defiant build you might like (note: anything with an X/Y means it's users choice, I also will not post any mk levels or bonus modifiers, since that's users choice, and I have no idea what your means are/what you can afford or acquire):

Shields, Engine, Deflector: Borg Assimilated Set

Weapons (fore): 4x DCHs/3x DHCs, 1x Hyper Plasma Torpedo Launcher (don't diss it til you try it, it's ADDICTING, especially for PvE) OR Omega Torpedo Launcher (also addicting as hell for PvE, and actually very powerful)

Weapons (aft): 2x Turrets, 1x Borg Cutting Beam (VERY useful, especially in PvE)/3x Turrets

Note: Not going to tell you which energy type to use, that's your choice, since everyone has their own personal preferences on procs.

Tactical Consoles: 4x whatever energy type you're using booster console
Engineering Consoles: 2x Neutronium Alloy, 1x Monotanium Alloy
Science Consoles: Borg Assimilated Module, Zero Point Energy Conduit

Devices: Subspace Field Modulator, Deuterium Surplus/Shield Battery

BOff Layout:
Cmdr Tactical: TT1, CRF1, APB2, APO3
LtCmdr Tactical: TT1, CRF1, APO1
Ensign Tactical: THY1
Lt Engineering: EPtS1, Aux2SIF1/RSP1 (whichever you think will work better for you)
Lt Science: HE1, HE2/TSS2

DOffs: (Romulan Hyper Plasma Torp) Projectile Weapons Officer x3, Warp Core Engineer x1, Damage Control Engineer x1 OR Projectile Weapons Officer x3, Shield Distribution Officer x1, Damage Control Engineer x1

(Omega Torp) Damage Control Engineer x1, Warp Core Engineer x1, Shield Distribution Officer x1, 2 users choice

Basically with this build you end up with the Borg 3 piece set bonus, which gives you hull and shield regen, plus the assimilated tractor beam. You get your torp (romulan hyper plasma/omega torp), and you also get the turrets for added damage/cutting beam.

The Tactical consoles are pure energy, since tbh, torp consoles are a waste. You're much better off adding to the energy damage, since your cannons will always be firing more often than almost any torp in the game. The engineering consoles give you added survivability skewed towards kinetic resistance, since most of the damage from the borg comes from torps. The science consoles are all damage multipliers (assimilated module gives weapons power, added crit chance and crit severity, zero point energy conduit gives you SS power, and also adds to your crit chance).

As Devices go, the Subspace Field Modulator gives great survivability, and the Deuterium Surplus is for whenever you need to get a move on REAL quick (to run or pursue). On the flip side, the shield battery gives you an instant shield recharge, and also boosts your power level which makes your shields recharge faster, and take reduced damage.

The BOff layout is set up so you can have max uptime on APO (which gives you damage, crit, defense, and immunity to holds), and when both APOs are on CD, you get APB (resistance reduction), which continues to multiply your damage. The double TT is for constant cycling of that ability, and the double CRF, same thing. The THY is for a little added damage to your torp. The EPtS is for quick shield heal and resistance, and the Aux2SIF is for hull healing, however if you choose the RSP, that will give you insane shields for a short period of time (at the cost of a very long CD). The HE1 will give you burn removal (borg and their plasma, need more be said), in addition to a strong HoT. The HE2 will give you a second hull heal and burn removal. If you choose TSS, you will instead get a pretty good shield HoT and large shield damage resistance.

For DOffs, the Proj Weapons Officers are for ROMULAN HYPER PLASMA TORP ONLY. If you choose to use the Omega Torp, use the second set of DOffs. The 3x Proj weapons officers will give you the plasma congo line (aka massive stream of torps), the Damage control engineer is to make it possible to cycle your one copy of EPtS, and the SDO is for shield heal whenever you hit BFI. They are basically just for added survivability.

Try this build out, you might like it. If you have any questions, just ask away, I'll answer best I can.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
# 12
02-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barachielangel View Post
Forward Arc
3x Dual Phaser Cannons Mk XI (Purple)
1x Quantum Torpedo Launcher Mk XII (Purple)
Dual Heavy Cannons would be better, they wind up draining less energy and therefore having higher DPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barachielangel View Post
Rear Arc
3x Phaser Turret Mk XI (Purple)
1x Quantum Torpedo Launcher Mk XI (Purple)
It only has 3 aft slots, so go with the turrets, if you use the rear torp you're probably doing it wrong. And if you don't already have the phasers you might want to think about a different damage type. Phasers are really expensive right now thanks to the Vesta excitement, and they are the weakest damage type because their proc is so useless. Disruptor, Plasma, Antiproton, and Tetryon seem to be thought the best at the moment, in that order. Polaron will also debuff enemy damage output and make their shields somewhat more vulnerable, so it's ok too, although it won't produce the raw damage of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barachielangel View Post
Engineering Consoles
Universal Cloaking Device
RCS Accelerator Mark XI (Blue)
Neutronium Alloy Mark XI (Blue)
You won't need the RCS for PvE, that's just a PvP thing, and then mainly for fighting other escorts. The cloak is always debatable for PvE, it doesn't do much more than provide a small damage boost at the beginning of your first battle, and you're giving up a console slot for that. Your choice, but a lot of people will say not to bother, and my BoP experiences don't really contradict them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barachielangel View Post
Tactical Consoles
Prefire Chamber Mk XI (Blue)
Phaser Relay Mk XI (Blue)
Zero Point Quantum Chamber Mk XI (Blue)
Warhead Yield Chamber Mk XI (Purple)
This is definitely not what you want to be running here. You either want to fill these slots with consoles boosting your energy damage type, or possibly put in one for your torp type and fill in the rest with your energy type. The Zero Point is good, but you don't want it here, you could put it in an Eng slot instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barachielangel View Post
Skill Loadout

Cmdr. Tactical
Tactical Team I
Attack Pattern Delta I
Torpedo: High Yield III
Cannon: Rapid Fire III

Lt. Cmdr. Tactical
Tactical Team I
Cannon: Scatter Volley I
Attack Pattern Omega I

Ensign Tactical
Torpedo: Spread I

Lt. Engineering
Emergency Power to Shields I
Auxiliary Power to SIF I

Lt. Science
Science Team I
Transfer Shield Strength I
Don't use Attack Pattern Delta for PvE, except maybe on a good tank cruiser that always draws all the agro. On anything else it's inferior to Beta because it only affects enemies that shoot you, while APB affects anything you shoot, even targets not capable of shooting back. People will also usually say that it's better to have your attack patterns be higher quality and your weapon abilities lower, so consider that. I take it that you're planning to use the Damage Control Engineers with you Emergency Power to Shields, so that's ok, but the Science Team isn't. It's a nice ability to have, but it conflicts with your Tac Teams, and you want to have a Hazard Emitters anyway, because it's a great hull heal and the only way to stop Plasma DoTs or the Borg Shield Neutralizer.

And to return to something you said earlier, why the Ody instead of the Excelsior? Excel is a lot more mobile, which translates into more viable weapons choices and more time on target for them, and that translates into more DPS. That's especially true for the free Ody, which can't mount the Chevron Separation console.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 42
# 13
02-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Um... ok...

First off, defiant only has 3 rear weapons. Sooo yeah. Here's a defiant build you might like (note: anything with an X/Y means it's users choice, I also will not post any mk levels or bonus modifiers, since that's users choice, and I have no idea what your means are/what you can afford or acquire):

...
Yeah, another whoops. I fixed it. It's now 2x on the rear turrets.

I'm ashamed to say, I don't have the Borg gear yet. Grinding out a rep set is my next goal. Last time I played regularly, the group finder hadn't existed. So I've done exactly ONE STF.

The point on the Tactical Consoles have been made, and will be heeded, once I get off work and can go round up some new consoles. As far as energy type goes, I'm only going with Phaser because that's what I happened to have. My odyssey is decked out in Phased Polaron beam arrays due to some VERY good lockbox drops (no idea what console would even go with those; probably Polaron). My two friends swear by Antiproton and Tetryon respectively. Honestly, I'm not sure what to go with on that front.

Last edited by barachielangel; 02-03-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 42
# 14
02-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
Dual Heavy Cannons would be better, they wind up draining less energy and therefore having higher DPS.



It only has 3 aft slots, so go with the turrets, if you use the rear torp you're probably doing it wrong. And if you don't already have the phasers you might want to think about a different damage type. Phasers are really expensive right now thanks to the Vesta excitement, and they are the weakest damage type because their proc is so useless. Disruptor, Plasma, Antiproton, and Tetryon seem to be thought the best at the moment, in that order. Polaron will also debuff enemy damage output and make their shields somewhat more vulnerable, so it's ok too, although it won't produce the raw damage of the others.
Yeah, i fixed that gaff already. I'll consider dropping the rear torpoedo. As for my gear choices, I'm basing it off what I currently own, not an ideal build I'll spend months grinding out. That's my later goal. Right now, I'm just trying to ease back into things, and figure out my playstyle.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
You won't need the RCS for PvE, that's just a PvP thing, and then mainly for fighting other escorts. The cloak is always debatable for PvE, it doesn't do much more than provide a small damage boost at the beginning of your first battle, and you're giving up a console slot for that. Your choice, but a lot of people will say not to bother, and my BoP experiences don't really contradict them.
Duly noted on the RCS. I know the Cloak isn't the most useful, but as long as I'm doing non-STF PVE stuff I'll probably keep it, just because I'm a huge Defiant nerd, and needs me a cloaking device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
This is definitely not what you want to be running here. You either want to fill these slots with consoles boosting your energy damage type, or possibly put in one for your torp type and fill in the rest with your energy type. The Zero Point is good, but you don't want it here, you could put it in an Eng slot instead.
Several others have made this point, and I will be heeding it, once I get home and can do a little exchange shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
Don't use Attack Pattern Delta for PvE, except maybe on a good tank cruiser that always draws all the agro. On anything else it's inferior to Beta because it only affects enemies that shoot you, while APB affects anything you shoot, even targets not capable of shooting back. People will also usually say that it's better to have your attack patterns be higher quality and your weapon abilities lower, so consider that. I take it that you're planning to use the Damage Control Engineers with you Emergency Power to Shields, so that's ok, but the Science Team isn't. It's a nice ability to have, but it conflicts with your Tac Teams, and you want to have a Hazard Emitters anyway, because it's a great hull heal and the only way to stop Plasma DoTs or the Borg Shield Neutralizer.
*nods* Yeah I meant to swap out Delta for Beta and forgot to do so. Another oversight I'll be fixing when I get off work. Hazard Emitteres over Science Team has also been mentioned. *makes another note*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
And to return to something you said earlier, why the Ody instead of the Excelsior? Excel is a lot more mobile, which translates into more viable weapons choices and more time on target for them, and that translates into more DPS. That's especially true for the free Ody, which can't mount the Chevron Separation console.
Odyssey is an odd RP choice for me. If I were to have a cruiser, it would be that one. Though the old fanboy in me loves my Excelsior. So maybe you're right. How would you rate the Tactical Odyssey in comparison? I've been sorely tempted to drop the 5000 points on the 3 pack, just so i can get the bridge, the better tactical slots, and consoles.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 15
02-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barachielangel View Post
Yeah, another whoops. I fixed it. It's now 2x on the rear turrets.

I'm ashamed to say, I don't have the Borg gear yet. Grinding out a rep set is my next goal. Last time I played regularly, the group finder hadn't existed. So I've done exactly ONE STF.

The point on the Tactical Consoles have been made, and will be heeded, once I get off work and can go round up some new consoles. As far as energy type goes, I'm only going with Phaser because that's what I happened to have. My odyssey is decked out in Phased Polaron beam arrays due to some VERY good lockbox drops (no idea what console would even go with those; probably Polaron). My two friends swear by Antiproton and Tetryon respectively. Honestly, I'm not sure what to go with on that front.
Alright. Since you don't have the assimilated set, I would recommend a resilient shield array (bleedthrough is especially nasty on a escort due to lower hull), a positron deflector array (the added tankiness is always good), and the Prototype Gravitic Modulation Impulse Engines (great engines, since they are equivalent to a [turn] [full] [spd] set of bonuses.

Since you don't have the rep system up, instead of the assimilated module and the zero point energy conduit, I would recommend an emitter array and power insulator console. However once you pick up those items, replace the insulators first, then the emitter second.

As for weapon types, I personally prefer phasers and polaron (separate, phased polaron is just silly to me). Disruptor is also nice, since disruptor breaches are quite nasty. But if you don't like it, that's your thing. Good luck!
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 42
# 16
02-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Alright. Since you don't have the assimilated set, I would recommend a resilient shield array (bleedthrough is especially nasty on a escort due to lower hull), a positron deflector array (the added tankiness is always good), and the Prototype Gravitic Modulation Impulse Engines (great engines, since they are equivalent to a [turn] [full] [spd] set of bonuses.

Since you don't have the rep system up, instead of the assimilated module and the zero point energy conduit, I would recommend an emitter array and power insulator console. However once you pick up those items, replace the insulators first, then the emitter second.

As for weapon types, I personally prefer phasers and polaron (separate, phased polaron is just silly to me). Disruptor is also nice, since disruptor breaches are quite nasty. But if you don't like it, that's your thing. Good luck!
*nods* Duly noted on the gear. Was that Engine part of the "Reman set"? I could have sworn I had that set, but I've looked everywhere for it. I must have discharged the ship carrying it by accident. Ah, well, time to replay.

EDIT: Actually, it's in my bank.

Okay so this begs the question.

I have the Aegis set, the Breen set, and the Reman set. Which one is best to tide me over while i grind out the Assimilated Technology set?

Last edited by barachielangel; 02-03-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 955
# 17
02-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barachielangel View Post
I know the Cloak isn't the most useful, but as long as I'm doing non-STF PVE stuff I'll probably keep it, just because I'm a huge Defiant nerd, and needs me a cloaking device.
The cloak is the primary reason I want many Universal Consoles turned into Devices (and device slots increased to 3 or 4 for all ships). I LOVE having the cloak, but as it is it's not worth slotting during PVE; I usually run with a Subspace Jump console in its place, which has proved VERY useful for battlefield mobility and threat reduction.

I keep my cloaking device in my inventory though, so I can swap it on the fly if I decide to do some PVP.

As far as weapon energy choice goes, you can check those out here:
http://www.stowiki.org/Ship_Weapon

The reason a lot of people prefer Antiproton weapons is because of their 20% increased crit damage, which actually turns into a net DPS gain over other energy types. This also makes it incredibly expensive to acquire those weapons and consoles...
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
# 18
02-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barachielangel View Post
Odyssey is an odd RP choice for me. If I were to have a cruiser, it would be that one. Though the old fanboy in me loves my Excelsior. So maybe you're right. How would you rate the Tactical Odyssey in comparison? I've been sorely tempted to drop the 5000 points on the 3 pack, just so i can get the bridge, the better tactical slots, and consoles.
Well, if you want the Ody you'll definitely want to get the full pack so you can get Chevron Separation. When that's active you get pretty decent agility out of it, although it does have a 5 minute CD, so if you die or deactivate it accidentally it'll be a pain, plus you lose a fair bit of health with it. Ultimately, that's the difference that really counts between the free and C-store Odys, the rest is pretty minor in comparison. The Aquarius is also an ok DPS boost from what I can tell, and of course an extra console slot is always nice to have, but it's the separation that really counts.

On the question of sets, I'm always a fan of a Resilient shield, so I'd tend toward the Breen. Of course, that's also partly because I seldom run things other than sci ships, which have next to no hull and so really need the low bleedthrough. Of course, that also means I think the Jem is the best of the non-STF sets, with its shield's 10% resistance to everything.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 42
# 19
02-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
Well, if you want the Ody you'll definitely want to get the full pack so you can get Chevron Separation. When that's active you get pretty decent agility out of it, although it does have a 5 minute CD, so if you die or deactivate it accidentally it'll be a pain, plus you lose a fair bit of health with it. Ultimately, that's the difference that really counts between the free and C-store Odys, the rest is pretty minor in comparison. The Aquarius is also an ok DPS boost from what I can tell, and of course an extra console slot is always nice to have, but it's the separation that really counts.

On the question of sets, I'm always a fan of a Resilient shield, so I'd tend toward the Breen. Of course, that's also partly because I seldom run things other than sci ships, which have next to no hull and so really need the low bleedthrough. Of course, that also means I think the Jem is the best of the non-STF sets, with its shield's 10% resistance to everything.
Actually, I've got the Galaxy-X with the Venture-class skin, and that thing is DEAD sexy. I'd cruise around in that for my cruiser, but I've read a lot of hate for the Galaxy-X dreadnaught in it being underpowered for its level, so I've been avoiding dragging it out again.

EDIT: Still doing research. is Scatter Shot better than Rapid Volley?

Crap all this talk of ship builds, and I haven't asked about my skills. My character build is probably crappy too.

Last edited by barachielangel; 02-03-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 20
02-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barachielangel View Post
I have the Aegis set, the Breen set, and the Reman set. Which one is best to tide me over while i grind out the Assimilated Technology set?
Hm...

Tbh none of those sets are really suited to escorts. The Aegis set is a tanking set, the Breen and Reman are more science/CC oriented sets. That's why when I was levelling my tac toon, I ran (and still do run) with a custom build. What I currently run on my Defiant-R (waiting on my fleet to get a tier 3 shipyard/waiting for a fleet to offer usage of their shipyard for something that won't leave my bankrupt, or I would have a fleet defiant):

Shield: Resilient Shield Array mk XII [cap] [reg] [pla]
Engines: Prototype Gravitic Modulation Impulse Engines mk XI
Deflector: Positron Deflector Array [SIF] [SSTL] [EM] (roughly translated: stronger Structural Integrity Bonus and stronger Shield System bonus)

I also run a similar build on my Breen Chel'Gret, only it's a Resilient Shield Array mk XII [cap]x3, a different deflector, and slightly different engines, but it's the same general idea. I am using them to sub for the Borg set, since I don't have it on my alt.

My recommendation:

Find out what works for you, and then run a custom set that will suit your needs until you get your borg set. By finding out what works for you, I mean find out what fits your playstyle. That engine is a must, since it's arguably one of, if not the best free engine you'll ever get. But as for shields? You have access to 4 different types. Resilient has a lower capacity, lower regen, but it's got a massive bleedthrough reduction. Covariant has a much greater capacity at the cost of regeneration. And Regenerative has a massive regeneration rate at the cost of capacity. And then you have your standard Shield array, which is in the middle for both.

Then you have deflectors. Positron is for increased durability, tachyon and graviton are sciency, and neutrino is balanced/escorty. As I said, find what fits your playstyle, make a custom setup, then switch it out as you go.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 PM.