Ensign
# 121
02-04-2013, 04:25 AM
how about we build something that physics actually agrees with and not a ship from a movie. i mean i love star trek and it would be awesome but come on...real life people.
Captain
# 122
02-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilusa View Post
how about we build something that physics actually agrees with and not a ship from a movie. i mean i love star trek and it would be awesome but come on...real life people.
Well, obviously we can't build a proper starship with today's technology. So transporters, warp drives, phasers, and tractor beams are out of the question for the time being.

But why not an interplanetary vessel equipped with ion engines, a few shuttles, and a laser? It would have a ton of uses for missions around the solar system, and the Enterprise configuration isn't as restrictive as you'd think.
Captain
# 123
02-06-2013, 06:08 AM
Well we can build a proper starship just not as advanced as the ones seen in star trek. Also signed the petition for LENR . What about adding an atomic clock to the ship?

Last edited by raj011; 02-06-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Captain
# 124
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM
A just found this on propulsion technology. Looks interesting. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...nd-cold-fusion
Captain
# 125
02-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Anyone know how much it costs to make an ion thruster/engine? I have looked but I cant find any site.
Captain
# 126
02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't think that information is easily available, Ion propulsion is very much in the research and development stage and labs tend to not be very forthcoming on issues like actual costs to anyone but their board of directors.
I've been going out of my way to be the voice of reason in this discussion even though a huge part of me would love to see such a grand vision take shape. The problem here is that the most practical designs are not pretty, for instance a Bussard ramjet would be most effective for travel where fuel is a constant concern but a gigantic funnel shaped craft does not inspire the imagination. The physical limits that make a space elevator impossible using current technology is equally the limiting factor in building a ship of such massive proportions.
We could build a space station to that scale and with that kind of appearance and with something like that visible in the night sky it might serve the same purpose to inspire, but as a functional ship, we can't do that yet.
That said, advances in physical sciences are occurring on a daily basis, so just because something can't be done today doesn't mean it will be impossible 10/20 years from now.
But it has to be realized that it is very important that we make advances in research and exploration of sufficient intensity that there is a need for a large multipurpose craft cruising the solar system, today we can barely find motivation to return to our own moon let alone venture further.
Our leaders are not visionaries, their sole interest is their own political futures and there is no payoff for them in this venture. Military organizations etc. guard their finances jealously, they would not contribute to something like this unless it had military applications and a project on this scale built for military purposes has frightening ramifications, so basically what's left are commercial interests, if there is money to be made in space then there is reason to venture into it, reason to explore and exploit it. That basis needs to be long established before an interplanetary cruiser could be justifiable. There simply has to be a need for it and right now there isn't one.
All that aside this petition is simply for a feasibility study, it will be interesting if it gets beyond the "Don't call us we'll call you" stage.

Last edited by maxvitor; 02-08-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Captain
# 127
02-09-2013, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
I don't think that information is easily available, Ion propulsion is very much in the research and development stage and labs tend to not be very forthcoming on issues like actual costs to anyone but their board of directors.
I've been going out of my way to be the voice of reason in this discussion even though a huge part of me would love to see such a grand vision take shape. The problem here is that the most practical designs are not pretty, for instance a Bussard ramjet would be most effective for travel where fuel is a constant concern but a gigantic funnel shaped craft does not inspire the imagination. The physical limits that make a space elevator impossible using current technology is equally the limiting factor in building a ship of such massive proportions.
We could build a space station to that scale and with that kind of appearance and with something like that visible in the night sky it might serve the same purpose to inspire, but as a functional ship, we can't do that yet.
That said, advances in physical sciences are occurring on a daily basis, so just because something can't be done today doesn't mean it will be impossible 10/20 years from now.
But it has to be realized that it is very important that we make advances in research and exploration of sufficient intensity that there is a need for a large multipurpose craft cruising the solar system, today we can barely find motivation to return to our own moon let alone venture further.
Our leaders are not visionaries, their sole interest is their own political futures and there is no payoff for them in this venture. Military organizations etc. guard their finances jealously, they would not contribute to something like this unless it had military applications and a project on this scale built for military purposes has frightening ramifications, so basically what's left are commercial interests, if there is money to be made in space then there is reason to venture into it, reason to explore and exploit it. That basis needs to be long established before an interplanetary cruiser could be justifiable. There simply has to be a need for it and right now there isn't one.
All that aside this petition is simply for a feasibility study, it will be interesting if it gets beyond the "Don't call us we'll call you" stage.
I 100% agree with you on this. But still ion propulsion has been out for for over 10 years, I remember when deep space one was on the news and was in my first year of secondary school. So sure there must be a price some where on the net. I it does not cost that much I really want to build one of these! Plus there is electric plasma propulsion out now, e.g. Vasimr.
Captain
# 128
02-09-2013, 11:32 AM
One idea proposed on the site is to break the building of the Gen1 Enterprise into construction phases, where each phase gives a viable craft for some uses in its own right.

Phase 1: Build a simple gravity-less space station as a starting work base. We could even repurpose the ISS for this.

Phase 2: Build the Gravity Wheel as a Space Station to be used for experiments and scientific research in orbit.

Phase 3: Add the overall Enterprise hull structures.

Phase 4: Add the nuclear power system and electric propulsion engines.

The beauty of doing Phase 1 and Phase 2 before adding the hulls of the Enterprise is that you get a large and very useful space station with 1g artificial gravity much sooner and at much lower cost. This wheel could hold 1000 people, and therefore it would be a destination for space tourists. Thus perhaps building Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Enterprise could be done as a private venture. That is, perhaps this could be a profitable business venture. This would also give more time to develop better technology we can use in each stage of the ship.
Captain
# 129
02-09-2013, 11:57 AM
I dont know, maybe they should start out with building a smaller version of the BTE then go from there, will be cheaper and can perfect the methods etc in to the BTE. But have the BTE be built like the way you proposed. Would you know how much it costs to build an ion or plasma thruster? Found this on the net as well. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...for-spacecraft
Career Officer
# 130
02-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Does anyone else think that maybe human beings were never meant to leave earth in the first place? One of my favorite tv shows had a line in it that I always agreed with. Is the earth trying to tell us something? Pulling us back down like it does? Now, I'm all for building a space faring vessel that doesn't return to earths atmosphere, but I think we can wait. We currently know so little about our own planet that it seems logical to stay and explore it more before trying to travel to others. And if a ship is built, a design like the enterprise, or any star trek ship, isn't very realistic. Something closer to the galactica (2004) or even a star destroyer would be far more feasible, especially considering that the mass of the saucer section alone would put the neck under extreme stress when turning.