Career Officer
Absolutely Nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWmlRNfLck

People accomplish more by working together than by allowing hate and assumptions about each other to prevent intelligent, thoughtful discussion.

On both sides of this argument, many people have made assumptions about each others motives. No one, is willing to actually talk, only argue and accuse.

There are some truly misguided, hate filled individuals on both sides of this argument. BOTH sides. Who are simply unwilling to let the argument go, accept that we have all acted like children at some point during all this, and remember what community is all about.

In another thread someone asked what I meant by community (of course followed by snarky assumptions and words of only caring for the foundry elite). THIS is what I mean by community.

I mean ALL of us having a productive and constructive conversation where we let go of assumptions about people. A conversation where what we are talking about is solutions. Where people let go of their egos , and their damned need to be right and just have a conversation with the intent of solving the myriad of issues that exist.

I'm GUILTY !

And so are you.

And you.

and you.

Great , now blame has been laid.
We're all guilty. Of arguing like children, when we could have been acting as a community to assist in solving an issue rather than creating new ones.

There needs to be a group working toward a productive solution.
I refuse to take part in any "war".

We should all be ashamed for allowing it to get to the point of anyone calling it a war.

This thread is for constructive discussion from people willing to put aside our differences, and work together toward a solution.

I have been accused of being too sensitive to trying to keep hate and name calling out of such topics. Understood. I will make no comment on any post from any side that "feels" like it is trying to derail the spirit of cooperation.

I will simply report them all directly to Brandon, and allow him to moderate them.

I would also ask that Mods keep an eye on this, as people on both sides of the debate have shown an inability to not bring what i describe to every thread they post in.

In short, I reject the very idea of War.
I'm going to have a discussion over here.

Let's try and start by talking about what seems to be the recurring theme of how UI improvements could improve the situation.

The simple separation of Combat/Story, would go a long way to making the sorts of content each of us is looking for easier to find. I think the biggest hurdle here is how tagging of missions would work.

Having read the many suggestions I have seen, I would add mine to the mix here for discussion.

Authors cannot publish a mission until they have chosen either "Combat" or "Story".
The mission is initially listed in the Tab.

For a player to leave a rating, they must choose whether they considered it "combat" or "Story" , on an extra button on the final rating screen.

Every 10 or 25 or 100 or however many ratings, the system automatically calculates the players votes, and reassigns the missions to the appropriate tab.

That's the bare bones of what I am thinking.

Other ideas ?

Last edited by hippiejon; 02-04-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Captain
# 2
02-04-2013, 05:16 AM
I respect you a great deal, Hippiejon. But "both sides" my ass. There is no middle ground for us to find here, 99% of the problem is on ONE SIDE and they have violated the rules of the game by launching a mass griefing attack on people's mission lists. I want something to be done about it. If a Foundry author has participated in this behavior then, by all means, boot them out with the rest.

Last edited by ajstoner; 02-04-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Rihannsu
# 3
02-04-2013, 05:24 AM
I have said in another thread I dont even consider it a war. the word does not help anyone really.

i enjoy a good debate (not that this has been a good debate in some time) but if someone disagrees with my opinion i will argue the point with them. if someone attacks me, ill defend myself.

you are not going to create a consensus here because I've never seen it done yet on a forum yet, but all we can try to be more civil in our feedback and then cryptic can make the changes as they see fit and let the pieces fall where they may.

ive said my piece on the subject, people know how i feel, cryptic have probably read my solution, so there is not much more to add.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Empire Veteran
# 4
02-04-2013, 05:29 AM
So many "War" threads... a bunch of tit-for-tat arguments over the foundry. How about people go outside, take a deep breath and realise that if people want to play grind on the foundry, they can search for it, if people want a story, they can search for it.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Captain
# 5
02-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defalus View Post
So many "War" threads... a bunch of tit-for-tat arguments over the foundry. How about people go outside, take a deep breath and realise that if people want to play grind on the foundry, they can search for it, if people want a story, they can search for it.
The problem is that those grinders (posting in these forums at any rate) are claiming that we want to prevent them from playing those missions when no one has suggested any such thing. If they want to be petulant children then fine, I couldn't care less.

They have actively attacked the missions of anyone who says anything they don't like however and THAT I will not abide, excuse, tolerate, or lie down for.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
02-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Well.. it makes quite a few good movies...

battle of britain, we were soldiers, a bridge to far etc
Career Officer
# 7
02-04-2013, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
Well.. it makes quite a few good movies...

battle of britain, we were soldiers, a bridge to far etc
Don't make me stick my tongue out at you.
Captain
# 8
02-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Hippiejon, I agree with your UI suggestion, it would help alleviate some of the conflict between those grinders (myself) and players looking for a good story (also myself).

The Foundry UI in general needs to be refurbished. I already posted my suggestions for improving the editor itself (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ardestroyer001), but there are a LOT of other aspects that need to be improved to ease Foundry author headaches and the clashing of swords - I mean, Bat'leths - with other people in this game.

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
IMO: Season 9 was the best season, Devs were right to focus on bugfixing. Roll back Delta Rising to that.
Captain
# 9
02-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
I respect you a great deal, Hippiejon. But "both sides" my ass. There is no middle ground for us to find here, 99% of the problem is on ONE SIDE...
If we were allowed to discuss the topic, I'd say it's very much like a political situation in a certain powerful nation.
# 10
02-04-2013, 07:57 AM
I agree, if we want the other side to stop attacking, maybe we should be the first to lower the phaser.

And yeah in the other thread, I was enlightened by eventually the rating bombings will end because people will tire of it. So let's not perpetuate it.

Changing the search functionality and adding searchable tags doesn't affect grinders, farmers or stories negatively. I hope that as long as we give the players choice, a middle ground can be found.

After all, a community doesn't depend on us agreeing on every word, but it does rely on us to come together and move forward, together.

We, the players of the Foundry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Closed Thread