Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Closed Thread

Empire Veteran
# 51
02-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitzh View Post
We fight or we die. No more options. They want peace? They can surrender! The feds just don't realise how much the galaxy hates them and how many problems THEY cause. Federation needs renamed to the Terran Empire or even Borg Collective to really account for their actions.

It's ironic how the Federation and Borg could be considered interchangeable.
You do know that the galaxy hates klingons more right?
Captain
# 52
02-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
There is certainly a difference between peace beween the KDF & Fed, and KDF joining the Fed.
At this point, one wonders why do players insist on peace? Is it that most of them are Feds. and have that peacekeeping attitude under their skin? Because if peace and joining the Fed. are different things, then what would a player od STO gain if there is peace declared between the factions? What will be the benefit of that?
The only one beneffiting from that kind of development would be the devs., because they could make shared content for both without any excuses. It would save them time & work, but I don't believe they should loosen up that much, for the sake of STO.

So, what's the point in declaring peace really?
But that's the thing.

Point A - there's not peace. It allows for distinct content, but it shouldn't preclude shared content.
Point B - there's peace. It allows for shared content, but it shouldn't preclude distinct content.

At Point A, it's possible that the KDF and Feds could be doing "faction" related content regarding to the overall story. It's also possible that they could be undertaking the same mission.

At Point B, it's possible that the KDF and Feds could be undertaking the same content regarding the overall story. It's also possible that they could be undertaking "faction" related content.

Even if there is peace between the KDF and Feds, that should not exclude there being distinct content for each faction. The only reason even to consider such a thing would be if the KDF joined Starfleet. I mean, the Klingon Empire were completely absorbed into the United Federation of Planets.

Even with "peace" - it would be along the lines of...say vs. the Borg:

Fed only mission against the Borg.
KDF only mission against the Borg.
Fed and KDF shared mission against the Borg.

But that's not what it's like nor what it would likely be like. It's more like this:

Fed mission against the Borg.
Fed mission against the Borg that the KDF can also run.
Fed mission against the Borg where the KDF can tag along with the Feds.

That's the real issue, imho...not whether there's peace or not. It's the way peace has been handled (since there's already periods of peace) and how additional peace would likely be handled (based on how it's been handled so far).

Consider the May Update - let's say it's story and not faction (personally, I think it's story). It's likely to continue the Feds and KDF working together as we've seen with the Borg, Tholians, Romulans...but what's it going to be like?

This?

Fed only mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
KDF only mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
Fed and KDF shared mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.

Or this?

Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans that the KDF can also run.
Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans where the KDF can tag along with the Feds.

There's a big difference between those two, no? That difference has nothing to do with whether there's peace or not.
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Republic Veteran
# 53
02-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Why would there be peace between the feds and kdf. Its always been close to war even with the treaties. The Klingon empire was born out defeating and enemy trying enslave it so do expect klingons to surrender; its the feds that should. They are true enemy in the game like the borg.
Captain
# 54
02-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx211 View Post
You do know that the galaxy hates klingons more right?
I'd argue against that point. The number of civilizations the Federation has left to fester, rot, and die. The number of civilizations that they've dangled carrots in front of, offering them only if they make changes the Federation wants. The annihilation of individual cultures as they're infected by Federation presence. There's a reason that the Federation has so many enemies and why so many of those enemies tend to align themselves against the Federation.
Captain
# 55
02-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zev92 View Post
Why would there be peace between the feds and kdf. Its always been close to war even with the treaties. The Klingon empire was born out defeating and enemy trying enslave it so do expect klingons to surrender; its the feds that should. They are true enemy in the game like the borg.
We are Starfleet.
Lower your shields and let's talk.
We will add our biological and technological distinctiveness to your own.
Your culture will no longer exist.
You will join the Federation.
Resistance is futile.
Empire Veteran
# 56
02-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Don't you guys see this is the kind of argument that the undine want? At this rate they'll have no resistance when they invade and its cuz of us fighting each other.
Survivor of Romulus
# 57
02-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post

Consider the May Update - let's say it's story and not faction (personally, I think it's story). It's likely to continue the Feds and KDF working together as we've seen with the Borg, Tholians, Romulans...but what's it going to be like?

This?

Fed only mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
KDF only mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
Fed and KDF shared mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.

Or this?

Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans that the KDF can also run.
Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans where the KDF can tag along with the Feds.

There's a big difference between those two, no? That difference has nothing to do with whether there's peace or not.
You make a valid argument.
However, taking into consideration that even at war, the development of the game leaned towards your second quoted option there, it wouldn't give much hope to any KDF players about the level of development of the KDF they deserve if there was peace.
Im afraid that the "we can't" or "we don't have enough resources" would be instantly swapped with "we shouldn't" regarding KDF development. Which would be a pitty in a game with so much potential.

And on another note, even if having peace doesn't change that much in terms of the direction for further game development, maybe it's just me, but I don't see a proper MMO working with only one faction. Especially not a Star Trek one, because ST has so much potential and all of it would be wasted by this.
And PvP by having battle drills with the Feds.? You go into PvP and the general says, "Warriors, set your bathlets to stun, we'll be having drills" just doesn't sound right to me, nor very fun & amusing compared to an actual all out war PvP situation.

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Republic Veteran
# 58
02-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
No, peace will just be an acknowledgment for a copy-pasta job for the KDF. The faction will get Fed stuff but with red paint on the walls. Peace just means there will not be any KDF distinct content ever.

And anyway, most of the time, it's the Fed hardcore fanbase who is asking for peace. I just wish the KDF faction could tell them: no, leave us alone. If there's an official ceasefire or peace agreement it just means that the KDF is only a Fed subfaction for the devs.
Oh you mean with the many many content unique content the KDF has now with the WAR. We are at ar, and there is already copy and paste content.

Cryptic can still make KDF content that is only KDF with peace.....there is the Feklar, and anything they can do...why would there be no KDF content if there was peace... The galaxy is big, and with peace the Klingon can go fight other things in the galaxy besides the Federation, perhaps go to the Delta Quadrant and expand over their before The Romulans do.

The whole Federation Vs. Klingon has been done to death in Star Trek already That's why Gen Roddenberry decided for peace in TNG.

I'll jump on my 15 KDF characters and tell Cryptic I want peace. ..it's dishonorable to continue a war with The Federation who the Klingons have fought with side by side, they are allies and have earned the right to stay that way.

Captain
# 59
02-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
And on another note, even if having peace doesn't change that much in terms of the direction for further game development, maybe it's just me, but I don't see a proper MMO working with only one faction. Especially not a Star Trek one, because ST has so much potential and all of it would be wasted by this.
And PvP by having battle drills with the Feds.? You go into PvP and the general says, "Warriors, set your bathlets to stun, we'll be having drills" just doesn't sound right to me, nor very fun & amusing compared to an actual all out war PvP situation.
No doubt, no doubt at all. Though, to be honest, I'm not big on two faction or three faction games either. I prefer multiple NPCs factions as well as player factions. Heck, let's be honest - even within both Starfleet and the KDF...there are going to be multiple factions at war. Certain groups will want X, why other groups will want Y... they're not all happy campers within their own camps.

Consider the Romulans - there may be Starfleet groups that want to help them - there may be Starfleet groups that do not trust them - there may be KDF groups that see it as an opportunity to strike - there may be KDF groups that see it as an opportunity court an ally against the Federation...and all the other possible groups that may exist both within the KDF and Starfleet in regard to the Romulans.

Conflict. Drama. Action.

Should be happening within the various sides and would be happening between the various sides even in peace.

Personally, I'm fine with overall pretexts of peace against common foes...where that enemy of my enemy's not my friend, but also my enemy. That shouldn't remove all conflict between the sides. And to an extent, that's what we've got. Going for more than that - outright peace? Reducing the faction choice to being a case of choosing a race for your toon...? Where would the conflict, drama, and action come from? Farming NPCs that just sit there and wait for us to kill them?

Makes me think of that episode of King of the Hill where Hank takes Bobby to the hunting farm so he can kill a deer... even Bobby recognizes that it just isn't right.
Empire Veteran
# 60
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
The enemy of my enemy is my enemies enemy. any other relationship is subject to negociation.

Tactical, fire a photon with out next diplomatic inititive attached..
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Closed Thread