Go Back   Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
Login

Closed Thread

Rihannsu
# 21
02-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
I have no ferengi nor a tuffli. But yes I could shave about 15% total by going to the right traders in space.

I do try to keep an eye out for them and buy in bulk the dump into my account bank and pull out as needed. And I do this for my klingons since they have no other access to the materials at all (except the exorbitant replicator price).

But hell some days I just need 10 more of something so I replicate it and pay almost double.

I wish commodities stacked to 999 and consumables too =) Then I could buy enough for the whole t1-t5 run in a single lump and fit it into my bank.

I've seriously given consideration to making a 1-man fleet so I can have access to 8 enormous bank slots then just filling it with everything I need for my doff missions and reputation for all characters.
you can usually get commods for around 80% of their list price on the exchange if you search based on unit price. The replicator is 150% of list price.

BTW, fleet banks cost millions of EC....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 22
02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
There are several items in STO you can craft for no UnReps. If all you want is leveling craft schematics and sell the extras on exchange.
Yes, and nothing in what I said implies there isn't. =) I think you missed the forest for the trees in my statement. Probably because I'm wayyy too verbose for anyone's good.

To attempt a TL/DR version: There is no value in leveling crafting in STO unless you need to craft higher level items. All items over mark 8 or 9 (I forget) and many below there cost the 1000 dil unreps. As I said, it is the FOCUS here, (I didn't mean to imply an exclusive requirement).

A little more verbose:
If there were end-game items worth equipping that cost only a medium number of 10 dil unreps, and a LOT of particle traces (30-50 instead of like the 1 to 5 they currently cost) and zero 1000 dil unreps, then I think more low-end players could/would sell moderate amounts of these on the market and high end players could craft without drowning in the dilithium costs even if the net dilithium cost per crafted item was still 90% of where it is now.

Basically, everything I know about marketing and sales says that the reason lock boxes work is that people will spend $200 in $1 increments but don't want to spend even $20 all at once. same concept but with dilithium. I bet that 500 people will each sell 20 of the 10dil unreps way faster than 50 people will sell 10 of the 1000 dil unreps.

And the particle traces you get from playing literally all content but those missions that have no anomalies at all (like STFs etc). So that's a pure win for the casual players to supply/support the high end player
Rihannsu
# 23
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Well, that kinda defeats the purpose of having 1k unreps... the BEST stuff costs more of them than the not quite as good stuff. You can make blues insted of purples for a lower cost. (and less xp)
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 24
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
you can usually get commods for around 80% of their list price on the exchange if you search based on unit price. The replicator is 150% of list price.

BTW, fleet banks cost millions of EC....
Thanks I'll have to look again. The two times I did check (being too lazy to go back to dock and just used the sector summons) the ones I needed (stem bolts, and energy cells) were both close to 50% over replicator rate for cheapest per unit. So I assumed it was the price gouging as with the regenerators/hypos etc.

I know about the cost for the fleet banks, but I HAVE millions of EC (Saving up for a tholian carrier) and it would get used for other things, like event items, crafting materials, decent drops that might go on my second or third ship for a given captain, etc. All of whch I pretty much am running out of space for now. Maybe after I get my ship haha.

Quote:
Well, that kinda defeats the purpose of having 1k unreps... the BEST stuff costs more of them than the not quite as good stuff. You can make blues insted of purples for a lower cost. (and less xp)
Honestly, I do think they are too expensive for their own good. But, you'll also note that I didn't say "all top end gear" I simply said some and that it be worth using not "that is better than flee or the aegis set gear". There's always a place at the top, for the expensive stuff.

But I predict it would show the same pattern: C-store ships do get bought, but more people are willing to spend $1 than $20. I guarantee more people are willing to buy 10dil unreps than 1000dil unreps even if the actual amount of dil is exactly the same. Sometimes, we are not very logical us hyoo-mons.

Of course, having craftable items worth slotting is also an issue. Shame there aren't more cooler craftable items. There are some, but more would be good.
Captain
# 25
02-03-2013, 10:29 PM
The crafting system flops because of one very simple reason: Practically everything in there is worthless garbage, and you expect me to pay dil for the privilege of crafting this trash? I see not a single item in there worth a damn, just Mk XI garbage. The ONLY thing in there worth anything at all is the kits. Everything else is absolute trash.

Only two things can salvage the system, either of which would work:
1. The stuff in there has to actually be worth it. If I'm going to pay actual resources for this, it better be top-end.
2. The stuff in there should be free: Then I won't care if it's trash, since it doesn't cost me anything valuable to make.
Rihannsu
# 26
02-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
The crafting system flops because of one very simple reason: Practically everything in there is worthless garbage, and you expect me to pay dil for the privilege of crafting this trash? I see not a single item in there worth a damn, just Mk XI garbage. The ONLY thing in there worth anything at all is the kits. Everything else is absolute trash.

Only two things can salvage the system, either of which would work:
1. The stuff in there has to actually be worth it. If I'm going to pay actual resources for this, it better be top-end.
2. The stuff in there should be free: Then I won't care if it's trash, since it doesn't cost me anything valuable to make.
Part of this issue is that crafting was added to the game BEFORE MK12 items were. Most of the craftables are the same ones from before then....

EDIT: Let's please continue the discussion in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=537351 -- I'd like to keep everything in one place so that feedback on this subject is easy to find for those that I pass it along to. Thanks for understanding. -Brandon
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-04-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Closed Thread