Captain
# 41
02-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganni View Post
You know, if you want to actually influence people to your point of view, implicitly calling your opponents children might *not* be such a great idea.
I'm not trying to influence them to my point of view. I'm pointing out that they're acting like children. They are already beyond my influence and any effort to cuddle them into sensibility is wasted.
# 42
02-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Now who said those were the people I was talking about influencing?
Commander
# 43
02-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
In reality, the "story children" are looking for very different rewards than the "grinder children". The former creates story missions because they enjoy doing so;
If that were honestly true, and I wish it was, then what other people do would be a non-issue - creation it self would be the reward of thecreator. Yet there are pages and pages in thsi echo chamber where everything good in the world will be destroyed if we allow "those people" to "ruin everything."
Leave nerfing to the professionals.
Ensign
# 44
02-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
If that were honestly true, and I wish it was, then what other people do would be a non-issue - creation it self would be the reward of thecreator.
This isn't really a realistic expectation though. Everyone likes getting appreciation for things they've worked hard on. (Even grinder authors!)

There does seem to be a perception that the prevalence of grinders reduces the number of people who will play story-focused missions, thus reducing the amount of appreciation to go around... I don't find the idea all that credible though.

-Morgan.
Career Officer
When you create any project in a game like this, you will have to expect there to be negative comments.

Why people choose to write a negative comment should be left to the viewer or person who wants to write the comment.

For me, I usually ignore any comment and just play the Foundry story on its own merits. I usually grade the production on style, technical skill, and writing proficiency.

1. STYLE - Is the producer trying to create their own style or staying with tried and true methods common to Star Trek.

2. TECHNICAL SKILL - Did the producer have a firm graps of the Foundry capabilities to accomplish what he or she hoped to accomplish.

3. WRITING PROFICIENCY - Did the producer have a good grasp of writing skills.

I have found that sometimes producers are creative in idea, but lacking in the ability to execute using the Foundry. So to avoid any bias on my part. I will look up the author or producer and play other missions he or she may have produced. This gives me a sense of where the producer is on a technical level of using the Foundry.

I take into account what type of audience the project is intended to be reached for the show. For example, is it intended to be a complex story or a simple story.

I would not even worry about greifers. When people leave these type of comments, it really reflects more on the person leaving the comment. I think that most adult-minded people and not child-minded people will not leave a rude comment even if they hated the story you produced. To leave rude comment really comes across as "petty" and "childish" to most people that I know.

I make it a point to look at the person leaving a rude comment and see what project they have produced. When I review the mission they produced, if it is garbage, I will make it a point never to play a story produced by them again.

However, with 2 million captains in the game, I would not even worry about a negative review or comment. If you liked the story you produced and your friends liked the story you produced, that is all that should matter.

Thank you.
Commander
# 46
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klytemnestra1 View Post
When you create any project in a game like this, you will have to expect there to be negative comments.
This is true of anything on the internet. You could post "kitten playing withball of string" on youtube and it would get 10 instant thumbsdown.
Captain
# 47
02-04-2013, 09:24 AM
I don't use such detailed methods of evaluating a Foundry mission, but I have found that simply assessing the enjoyment of the mission according to its profile type is fair enough.

(By profile type, I mean grinding missions or story-based missions)

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Rihannsu
# 48
02-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak
However, the point remains, if we're going to start losing features because they can be abused for gain, it would be better to remove the motivation (excessive rewards) rather than reverting the Foundry back to its initial release.
I didn't want to say it earlier but that thought did occur to me. I'm not saying the TYPE of rewards needs to change, just the quantity. Reducing the rewards for a 15-min mission to 1/4 what they are would leave the Foundry with a tangible reward, but not something worth grinding.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 49
02-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I didn't want to say it earlier but that thought did occur to me. I'm not saying the TYPE of rewards needs to change, just the quantity. Reducing the rewards for a 15-min mission to 1/4 what they are would leave the Foundry with a tangible reward, but not something worth grinding.
If nerfed like that would not be worth doing in the first place.

Let us not forget that current reward is not "excessive" it's already nerfed 500-ish dil from where it used to be.
Rihannsu
# 50
02-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
If nerfed like that would not be worth doing in the first place.

Let us not forget that current reward is not "excessive" it's already nerfed 500-ish dil from where it used to be.
That is my point exactly. This mess got started when the repeatedble version of IOR was debuted. But it's rewards are probably too high for something you can do once every 20 mins or so....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Closed Thread