Captain
# 1 Multiple storyline options
02-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know how to create multiple choices for a player? I am working on a mission where the player is presented with three choices via dialogue. My plan is for the choice to affect the final outcome of the mission. Now I see for advanced dialogue I can set it up forked dialogue with different dialogue outcomes. However, if I want to give the player a choice on where to warp next I would need to use the story tab, which doesn't appear to have the forking options like the dialogue. It also appears that the final outcome of the dialogue has no effect on the total story events outside of that one dialogue tree.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
02-04-2013, 02:33 PM
It is possible. But it's difficult.

The way the Foundry is set up, the maps have to be done in a linear order. Map A -> Map B -> Map C etc

However, within that map there are some options, but they essentially have to be done outside the story tab. On the map tab you can click and drag a pop-up dialogue onto the map. (use the states tab to determine when it will pop up). With this kind of dialogue it opens up a new trigger. You can set objects or NPCs to spawn and despawn based on what dialogue choices people make. Say you want a group of enemies to spawn if the player makes a certain dialogue choice. Put those enemies on the map, go to the states tab and set them to go from invisible to visible on "dialogue prompt reached" then you can select what dialogue window you want to trigger their appearance. It only works with map dialogue, can't do it with any dialogue in the story tab.

So you can change the map around, change what enemies pop up, what npcs there are to talk to, all based on what dialogue options they pick. But it all has to be outside the actual "objectives"

I'll give you an example. In my mission "Over There" I give the player the choice to activate a console or not (it's actually a moral choice). The console isn't tied to an objective though. Once you get to that point in the story, all there is is a reach marker at the end of the map with an objective that says "Make your choice and get to the end." If you activate the console, it spawns enemies and some more pop up dialogue. If you don't, you have clear sailing to the end of the map.

You can even extend the consequences of that choice over multiple maps, you just have to, in map dialogue, ask the player to state again what choice they made, and trigger things to spawn or despawn off that choice.

Hope that helps.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 3
02-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks, that does give me some ideas. Though I do think it would be nice to have a direct way to fork the story tree at the map level, but this should do the trick for now.
Captain
# 4
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Stay tuned for the next episode of Primetime UGC. I cover this in a tutorial.

You might also find parts 5 through 8 of Triggers tutorials useful.

There are tricks, but you have to really understand triggers.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noo...torials-guide/
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
snip
That is easy. Granted you want to go from space to space and not from ground to space.
- Select the custom space map.
- Set up the map elements.
- Set up a "Warp out" point (invisible object).
- Set up a map dialog with the choices.
- You make the decision and fly to the warp out point.
Eg: Helm, set course for system B. Aye sir, course laid in, warp engines coming online.
- You assign a map dialog (eg: Warp drive engaged, sir!) to the interaction with the warp out point. The warp out point interact can be part of the storyboard) Also set the animation to warp out for immersion.

Here comes the trick:
You create system A, B and C on the same map! All the object start with "Hidden" state, but they are all there.
For system A, the Hidden -> Visible triggers are: Dialog prompt reached "Go to system A..." and dialog prompt reached "Warp drive engaged, sir!".

For system B, the Hidden -> Visible triggers are: Dialog prompt reached "Go to system B..." and dialog prompt reached "Warp drive engaged, sir!".

For system C, the Hidden -> Visible triggers are: Dialog prompt reached "Go to system C..." and dialog prompt reached "Warp drive engaged, sir!".

Basically your choice spawns up a different system on the same map.

You will still need to hide the "origin" system, so set every object there triggered visible -> hidden with the dialog prompt reached "Warp drive engaged, sir!"

The whole thing is very seamless.

Now you will need to do exactly the same thing on each "different" system if you want use the storyboard.

For example you may set up 3 invisible objects as "Point Of Interest" interacts. On the storyboard, you can add something like "Explore the system!"

For each interacts, assign 1 map dialog.
Say in system A, POI1 is a derelict ship to survey. In system B it is an energy signature to scan. In system C it is an asteroid to mine.

You fly near and interact by say "Request report". Science comes up and states, "Starting process...". Now based on the earlier decision, the "Continue" button may bring up one of 3 different dialog branches.

If dialog prompt "Go to system A..." reached then the officer may follow like: "Extensive antiproton damage on the hull, no survivors. Captain, enemy ships approaching..." Ships arrive right on top of you. You have no choice but to kill them, but they are otherwise not part of the storyboard.

If dialog prompt "Go to system B..." reached then the officer may follow like: "Class 2 barion distortion, we should say clear..."

If dialog prompt "Go to system C..." reached then the officer may follow like: "Reading high concentration of uridion inside the asteroid. Shall we engage mining beam?..."

Same goes for POI2 and POI3. So storyboard wise, you did the same thing (3 interacts) but the player experienced something different.

If you are desperate, you can do a planetfall where one single ground map can act like 3 different ground maps, but that is really, really tricky to pull off. Once I had a mission, where you either landed on a barren moon OR on a lush tropical planet based on your decision, so it can be done if you want to.

Last edited by pendra3780; 02-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.