Starfleet Veteran
# 41
02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
I am looking forward May when we have a playable Romulan species as part of the Klingon faction
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Commander
# 42
02-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
I am looking forward May when we have a playable Romulan species as part of the Klingon faction
Yeah, a sub-sub faction.

That would be some evil yet epic trolling on cryptic's part if they did that. Hehe.

Make it... so-so.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Career Officer
# 43
02-04-2013, 06:13 PM
This post sums it up:

The big problem is Cryptic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks3052 View Post
The big problem is Cryptic didn't know what big IP they bought when they took pver STO in the first place. The end result we are playing today. Cryptic was and will never be the right company for a Star Trek MMO. It would have been better if CBS would have approached one big company with decent ressources.

Cryptics hope was to make a decent Fed experience and add the KDF with the failed 45th day patch. That promise was never fullfilled, every time they had one excuse or another.
Cryptic's promise of a full Klingon factionHawks: "The big problem is Cryptic didn't know what big IP they bought when they took over STO in the first place. The end result we are playing today. Cryptic was and will never be the right company for a Star Trek MMO."Death of a Fleet
Empire Veteran
# 44
02-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
As much as I look forward to a waking colon exam. The KDF need to be completed without a doubr but the RSE (imo) also deserves a faction.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Rihannsu
# 45
02-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoav160 View Post
This post sums it up:

The big problem is Cryptic...
The only problem was they did a couple of things that in hindsight they shouldnt have done.

First, It was allowing the existence of a versus faction, this have pretty much all been abandoned by MMO since its doubling their work effort for no real tangible reward, might work on PvP oriented games but on PvE its pretty what I said, double the work.

Second, it was picking the Klingon faction that does not really make much sense besides the fact it was the most popular choice at the time, basically you people walked in by yourselves and now are complaining the house does not have a roof.

Star Trek always been about the Federation, never about the Klingons or the Romulans ... something some people stubborn continue to claim, it was the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, the voyagers of Yovager and the genocidal adventures of Janeway and also the occasional voyages of the Starship Defiant, when Runabouts were not available (shields not included) ... and some Quantum Leap crossover? Not of Captain Kark of the Battlecruiser n'TrPrse or Centurion K'rk of the Warbird Ent'rpris

The model they picked was wrong, better had dropped the whole "versus" before going Live but that is water under the bridge, I do say this ... few other companies would make such a mistake and STO apparently is trying to move towards unifying content since that is the best they can do and it would be what everyone else would be doing as well.

Your dreams of Klingons:Online are just that, dreams.

Also for the record, I am not trying to be mean ... what I do want is proper Klingon experience and that means NO GORN ON MY B'REL! as some of you are diluting the Klingon Empire with things that in my opinion do not belong there, as much damage Cryptic have done it would not nearly enough of the damage some of you would inflict as the entire thing would became "Birds-of-Prey:Online", Featuring General T'ts, the Orion female .... slave dancer.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 02-04-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 46
02-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Riigggghttttt!!! Because they've done a bang up job of representing the federation so fracking well.
I dont buy that "It should have a fed world only" crap. Klingons have been a vibrant fanbase in the IP for decades and the KDF where mentioned on stage by the owner of Cryptics in 2008.
The KDF may have been half-assed badly for reasons both legit and s**t but they are never been just the fluke you making them out to be.
Thats an injustice.
That would be like someone saying the IP exists today becuase in the 60's a bunch of semi-hippieish, socially wierd geeks whined to CBS or who ever until they got thier way and never stopped since instead of fanbase that strove hard for something they wanted because of an idea they loved.

So how are we Klingons fans so vastly different again? How are we less important again for pushing for what we love ?

Yeah, I dont buy the KDF is a fluke crap.

One thing I do agree with is that they certainly could have done the KDF better.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.

Last edited by bitemepwe; 02-04-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 47
02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
The only problem was they did a couple of things that in hindsight they shouldnt have done.

First, It was allowing the existence of a versus faction, this have pretty much all been abandoned by MMO since its doubling their work effort for no real tangible reward, might work on PvP oriented games but on PvE its pretty what I said, double the work.

Second, it was picking the Klingon faction that does not really make much sense besides the fact it was the most popular choice at the time, basically you people walked in by yourselves and now are complaining the house does not have a roof.

Star Trek always been about the Federation, never about the Klingons or the Romulans ... something some people stubborn continue to claim, it was the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, the voyagers of Yovager and the genocidal adventures of Janeway and also the occasional voyages of the Starship Defiant, when Runabouts were not available (shields not included) ... and some Quantum Leap crossover? Not of Captain Kark of the Battlecruiser n'TrPrse or Centurion K'rk of the Warbird Ent'rpris

The model they picked was wrong, better had dropped the whole "versus" before going Live but that is water under the bridge, I do say this ... few other companies would make such a mistake and STO apparently is trying to move towards unifying content since that is the best they can do and it would be what everyone else would be doing as well.

Your dreams of Klingons:Online are just that, dreams.

Also for the record, I am not trying to be mean ... what I do want is proper Klingon experience and that means NO GORN ON MY B'REL! as some of you are diluting the Klingon Empire with things that in my opinion do not belong there, as much damage Cryptic have done it would not nearly enough of the damage some of you would inflict as the entire thing would became "Birds-of-Prey:Online", Featuring General T'ts, the Orion female .... slave dancer.
...I don't think you got the point: we want more for the KDF if possible, not for STO to be centered around it

That's just plain unrealistic
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Rihannsu
# 48
02-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Riigggghttttt!!! Because they've done a bang up job of representing the federation so fracking well.
I have a KDF character, Klingon since its the only race the KDF actually have, everyone acts like a Klingon regardless of their actual species and this annoys the crap out of me.

Also I am working on that character rep projects, of all my characters the only one I finished was my first character because I had more experience with STFs and I grind the hell out of STFs before Season 7 to get the sets, managed to get one ground and one space set as the others were simply lagging behind so much that I am still working on them.

I am not representing the Federation, I am representing myself and I rather had a game with no silly "versus" gameplay that only does exist to justify PvP, like Klingons ever needed much of a reason to attack Federation ships.

Quote:
I dont buy that "It should have a fed world only" crap. Klingons have been a vibrant fanbase in the IP for decades and the KDF where mentioned on stage by the owner of Cryptics in 2008.
First I never said "fed world only", I want Star Trek and that means some missions only available for KDF, some missions only available to Federation and some missions only available to the Romulan Navy.

Yes, there are Klingon fans and that is why I said "you people walked right in".

Quote:
The KDF may have been half-assed badly for reasons both legit and s**t but they are never been just the fluke you making them out to be.
Really?

Klingons certainly existed in TNG but how many times they come to blows with the Federation? After TOS the Klingon Empire and the Federation co-existed, the Organians mentioned the Federation and the Klingons would became fast friends.

I never said they were a fluke, I say the current state of the KDF is a fluke and you keep trying to add more, including races that as far we know are either members of the Federation or live within the Federation sectors.

Heck I seen people asking to add the New Way into the KDF ... Cardassians as Klingon Defense Force Flag Officers?

Quote:
Thats an injustice.
In my opinion the model they based was WRONG, the fact most MMOs ditched at this point and new ones rarely have then it says a lot.

Quote:
That would be like someone saying the IP exists today becuase a bunch of semi-hippieish, socially wierd geeks whined to CBS or who ever until they got thier way and never stopped since instead of fanbase that strove hard for something they wanted because of an idea they loved.
No, the show many a lot of problems to get off ... TOS only lasted 3 seasons, I could link to the TOS history.

Quote:
So how are we Klingons fans so vastly different again? How are we less important again for pushing for what we love ?
What you love ...

So when did exactly Klingons became green colored, started to wear revealing outfits and call then "Orions" or for that matter, when did the Klingons became lizards, left Klingon Space and because the Gorn Hegemony?

I say again, I want a Klingon experience and that means I dont want to hear some damned Nausicaan talking about honor.

This is were I drawn the line and this is why I dont usually play my KDF character, its because everyone is a Klingon regardless of race, there are Vampire Catpeople for God sake and because Feds had Caitians.

Quote:
Yeah, I dont buy the KDF is a fluke crap.
Current state, yes ... model does not work and cannot be made to work, you can complain and ***** to high heavens about it but its not going to change and further any other company would likely adapt a "fractionless" model because you really ARE asking them to double their work effort.

Unless you are saying the current model with Vampire Catpeople, Slave Girls, walking Lizards, crabface and other oddities (down to "I am clearly NOT human" Aliens) that parade around and act as Klingons ... did the Servent Races were ever shown serving in the same capacity as Klingons down to the point they became Flag Officers ever shown on the series?

And this is the difference of what I want (The Klingon Empire) and what some of you want (A version of the Federation), also for the record I dont like when my Vulcan BO act emotional either but a lot of things get a easier pass in the Federation due to its structure, now the KDF ... I dont think we ever seen a non-Klingon Captain or heck a non-Klingon Officer serving about a Klingon ship.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
I never said they were a fluke, I say the current state of the KDF is a fluke and you keep trying to add more, including races that as far we know are either members of the Federation or live within the Federation sectors.
You're trying to confuse the issue. First you argue that the Klingons never should have been a faction in STO and that Star Trek was never about Klingons anyway, now you're arguing the Klingon Empire should not include other races. Something no-one in this thread has disagreed with or even brought up.

I rarely play my Klingon characters (for a variety of reasons), but I still feel a Star Trek MMO would not be complete without a Klingon faction. Of all the races in Trek (other than humans) Klingons are the most fleshed out and bring a uniqueness to the table that can only be experienced by having them be faction seperate from the Federation. While imo the inclusion of other races in the KDF somewhat dillutes that uniqueness, it's not the biggest mistake Cryptic has made regarding the Klingon faction.
Starfleet Veteran
# 50
02-05-2013, 05:56 AM
1. No one but they know exactly how the Romulans will be implemented.

For all we know the Rommies could be a race unlock + exclusive missions and new ships added to both existing factions. My prediction was you'd found a romulan character that starts at a similar (or likely higher) level to current Klink toons and complete a set of storyline missions that, by the end, see you join the endgame as either Fed or KDF.

If this is what happens, then technically Dstahl didn't lie about "new factions" being added to the game before they fix KDF (whatever that means).

2. Would handing STO to a big company have been any better? This is just my impression, but Star Trek doesn't have nearly the brand power to sustain a major, triple-A MMO. Hell, Star Wars, which I figure has orders of magnitude more brand power, couldn't sustain itself as a triple-A subscription-exclusive MMO.

And what design form would a theoretical triple-A STO take? Pretty much every "big company" MMO was a WoW derivative with emphasis on ground combat. IMO for all its unbalanced emphasis on combat, I find the basic structure of STO, especially now that the "Patrol" missions have been de-emphasized in favor of story missions, is a lot like what I want out of a "Trek" RPG. It's very episodic. One mission you're doing this, another you're doing that, with self-contained plots operating beneath an overarching narrative.

In conclusion, I'm going to keep the faith until they do a more substantial unveil. All things considered, I'll probably keep the faith even after, because so far I like STO and most of what Cryptic's done, considering the circumstances and limitations in mind. STO isn't perfect, but it's good enough for me.