Lt. Commander
I have noticed a specific pattern with Cryptic regarding new ships that I find somewhat disturbing.

Whenever a new ship is released via lockbox or the Z Store, the stats of that vessel are horrifically overpowered in order to make the vessel desirable. However a couple of months later, Cryptic preform a stealth nerf of the class which is rarely included in the patch notes and is only noticed by the player flying the ship, a few examples spring to mind...

- Atrox Carrier
- Akira Carrier
- Galaxy Retrofit...

What I have to ask is, why does Cryptic do this? I am sure that its "buyer's beware" in the US but in the UK, there are trade laws that prevent false advertising and misleading products. So why have Cryptic been allowed to get away with this for so long, especially if it involves the use of a real money to obtain zen?

I honestly thought, this kind of false advertising is illegal in most countries.

This is not a flame... just a question? Doesn't this leave Cryptic liable to be sued on grounds of false advertising. I know it does under EU trade laws, even if they are an American based company.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-05-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Captain
# 2
02-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Whenever a new ship is released via lockbox or the Z Store, the stats of that vessel are horrifically overpowered in order to make the vessel desirable. However a couple of months later, Cryptic preform a stealth nurf of the class which is rarely included in the patch notes and is only noticed by the player flying the ship
Well first off I'd say they're protected by the whole "Cryptic has the right to change anything at any time" part of the ToS.

It's not really false advertising either. You got exactly what they said you were going to get when you bought it. Even if the stats change it's still the same ship, being sold for the same price.

I doubt that they're nerfing them for any nefarious purpose. They simply have nothing to gain by doing so. It's not like they nerf the Atrox and then offer a upgrade kit for it that costs Zen to buy.

Last edited by cptvanor; 02-05-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
Well first off I'd say they're protected by the whole "Cryptic has the right to change anything at any time" part of the ToS.

I doubt that they're nerfing them for any nefarious purpose. They simply have nothing to gain by doing so. It's not like they nerf the Atrox and then offer a upgrade kit for it that costs Zen to buy.
No but one could argue that they are nerfing ships when they stop generating maximum income for Cryptic, once most people have bought the ship, they won't be generating maximum income from that ship anymore so they reduce it down again. Its rather underhanded, I think.

Plus if they have nothing to hide, why "stealth nerfs" and not including them in the patch notes?
Ensign
# 4
02-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Well most of the gaming world knows that Cryptic and PWE are kinda shady when it comes to Microtransactions.

I have always been buyer beware with stuff they sell, and everyone else should be too.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee9569 View Post
Well most of the gaming world knows that Cryptic and PWE are kinda shady when it comes to Microtransactions.

I have always been buyer beware with stuff they sell, and everyone else should be too.
True but I doubt their TOS allows them to get away with out and out fraud which this is kinda close to, to be honest. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with these actions in the first place.
Captain
# 6
02-05-2013, 08:05 AM
1) Laws regarding digital goods, especially ones in video games, are hideously vague, and there is next to zero precedent in regards to how said laws should be applied, if there is even standing for a person/group to bring legal action (which is again another grey area).

2) So long as Cryptic changes the descriptors in their marketplace to coincide with any changes made to a physical product, it's not false advertising.

3) EULA more than likely contains a "subject to change" clause.

4) They don't want things to challenge Lobi and Lockbox items so a few stupid people will expend absurd amounts of money to get their hands on "the bestest stuffs".
Captain
# 7
02-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Quote:
they won't be generating maximum income from that ship anymore so they reduce it down again.
And what exactly do you think they gain by doing so? If you believe this is some sort of underhanded deal, then they must be gaining something out of it. So what exactly are they getting out of the deal?

Nerfing the ships isn't going to increase or decrease their profits. So what exactly is it you think they gain by doing so?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
1) Laws regarding digital goods, especially ones in video games, are hideously vague, and there is next to zero precedent in regards to how said laws should be applied, if there is even standing for a person/group to bring legal action (which is again another grey area).

2) So long as Cryptic changes the descriptors in their marketplace to coincide with any changes made to a physical product, it's not false advertising.

3) EULA more than likely contains a "subject to change" clause.

4) They don't want things to challenge Lobi and Lockbox items so a few stupid people will expend absurd amounts of money to get their hands on "the bestest stuffs".
That may be true but its still technically fraud and its not ethically sound business practices either. They gain income from present ships as more powerful then they intend them to be in the future and then put the ship stats down when that ship isn't as popular anymore. So they are using that to gain profit.

Does nobody else see a problem with this level of exploitation?

Last edited by warbird001; 02-05-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Captain
# 9
02-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Quote:
That may be true but its still technically fraud and its not ethically sound business practices either. They gain income from present ships as more powerful then they intend them to be in the future and then put the ship stats down when that ship isn't as popular anymore. So they are using that to gain profit.
You're making the quaint mistake that logic has anything to do with legal definitions.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
You're making the quaint mistake that logic has anything to do with legal definitions.
That may be true however it is still incredibly shady and underhanded and really shows that Cryptic in a really bad light. Just because a piece of paper says they can exploit their customers doesn't make it right..