Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Closed Thread

Empire Veteran
# 71
02-05-2013, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilrada View Post
Additionally, I am to the belief that allowing each player to make a choice and allowing klingon to choose, would be better in the long run.
This is really what i want to see, the ability, at some point, for klingon character players (real KDF players, not alts you play twice a month), to choose if they are at peace with the feds or not. I mean, i don't mind if warmongers are a minority, as long as KDF players and not devs make the call. At some point, i really think players should make some decisions instead of being babisitted by devs with episodes. It's supposed to be a game we can play, not a TV show we can watch, and games where players are completely passive listeners aren't fun at all.

Even in point and click or RPG games, which are the best examples of story telling, you can make basic decisions influencing the rest of your experience. In STO you can't, you have cutscenes, your faction is ruled by NPCs taking all interesting decisions for you, and all you can do is sit and watch the said cutscenes. Who would like to play a brainless dictatorship ruled by NPCs? Because that's what this game is, currently, and IMO this part of the game isn't fun at all.

Of course fed players could have the ability to take the same decision too, but i bet their naivety will lead them to sue for peace at any cost.

Maybe it's my experience as faction leader in another MMO which leads me to say that, but i really think player made decisions are far more compelling than a stupid NPC ruling your game.

Last edited by diogene0; 02-05-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Captain
# 72
02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
Some questions...

Why would Warriors from a Warrior-based culture ever want to make peace?

Where is the honor in dying in one's bed like some drooling, decrepit tooth-less terran grandmother?

What Klingon songs of glory ever start with "I fell and cannot get up"?

War is everything.

Peace is truly for cowards.

Qapla'
You'll have plenty of honor fighting against the Iconians. But your best chance for success against those honorless petaQs is if you join forces with the Feds. We won the Dominion War together, didn't we?

"Ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat".
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 73
02-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
You'll have plenty of honor fighting against the Iconians. But your best chance for success against those honorless petaQs is if you join forces with the Feds. We won the Dominion War together, didn't we?

"Ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat".
Problem being, the Federation's still compromised by the Iconian's puppets-aka the Undine. (I know, there's ostensibly some magazine story somewhere that resolves that-but I don't have the magazine, and there's nothing in the Undine mission set that, frankly, works to explain that the Feds are NOT still under the sway of the Undine)

-in fact, the last mission where we see the Iconian gateway would lead a direct conclusion that the Undine are working WITH the Iconians to compromise the Alpha Quadrant. Allying with a puppet of the enemy is one of the fastest ways to lose a war known to exist-you can't plan or keep secrets under those conditions, and the enemy can both know your intentions, and 'guide' your actions to a defeat...

This makes the FEds the indirect puppets of the enemy, hence not someone you ally with when fighting said enemy.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Career Officer
# 74
02-05-2013, 11:23 AM
I've got a question about this thread in genreral:

On what level are we discussing this?
As players or as some kind of pseudo-RPing folks who actually think they are characters in the Star Trek universe?
Captain
# 75
02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
I've got a question about this thread in genreral:

On what level are we discussing this?
As players or as some kind of pseudo-RPing folks who actually think they are characters in the Star Trek universe?
Players, but some of us DO play "In character" and want the story we're playing to have, at minimum, decent internal consistency.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Lt. Commander
# 76
02-05-2013, 11:39 AM
NO.

I want the Federation and the Klingons to be more aggressive towards one another. I don't want to just pass by some Klink in sector space, I want to feel the feeling of "Oh S***" when I see a Klingon in sector space.
Career Officer
# 77
02-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
Players, but some of us DO play "In character" and want the story we're playing to have, at minimum, decent internal consistency.
Thanks, but I've gotta say this makes it a helluva difficult to read the whole thread because I'm not always sure who's doing it in character and who isn't.
Commander
# 78
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erocker View Post
NO.

I want the Federation and the Klingons to be more aggressive towards one another. I don't want to just pass by some Klink in sector space, I want to feel the feeling of "Oh S***" when I see a Klingon in sector space.
+1

Being the "bad guy" in MMOs, for me, has been pretty satisfying up until now.

Quote:
Thanks, but I've gotta say this makes it a helluva difficult to read the whole thread because I'm not always sure who's doing it in character and who isn't.
Does it matter?

*shoots some random feddie in the face with their own phaser*

Whether one is RPing or not, their opinion is just as meaningful and valid.

I have to RP conflict because this game really fails at times with delivering it.

Am one of the many players who choose to play KDF solely because they were billed as "The PVP Faction" by cryptic.

We in turn handed the feddies their collective ass many times over to the point, they asked for FvF so to deny us the means to XP up. I remember those days and it was said on the forums as to why. Short memories around here *cough*

Sure, there were some really good PVPers on the feddie side but only a few. Most were too busy playing it up in Candyland and when they came to PVP, only ended up here on the forums crying for nerfs and access to KDF equipment.

Even if the feddies had the exact same gear as us, they still lose. Remember the cry for carriers? I remember the day they got them and they still cried after getting slaughtered in the queues.

Actually, it is no wonder there is such a cry of peace. Some are still vengeful for the past pew-pew, some want the devs to be able to focus more on the only ST faction in their eyes and some just want to play Candyland Online.

I been role-playing AND PVPing in games such as Anarchy Online, EVE, Star Wars Galaxies, Shadowbane, Ultima Online. Mass, open FFA slaughtering, running, crying, all-out PVP.

Shout out to Shadowclan.

Now I spend my time on the forums, wondering where the fun went and why?

Fighting "together" with enemies to address a so-called "greater" threat is just more proof that the feddies are trying to co-opt us out of fighting them proper.

Let's have a war.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8

Last edited by user839020189287; 02-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Career Officer
# 79
02-06-2013, 01:42 AM
Quote:
+1

Being the "bad guy" in MMOs, for me, has been pretty satisfying up until now.

Quote:
Does it matter?

Because of stuff like this.
A Klingon would not consider himself a "bad guy", so you just jumped from out-of-character to in-character.

Quote:
Whether one is RPing or not, their opinion is just as meaningful and valid.
And where did I say anything about "less valid"?
I said it's difficult to read.
Especially when people are, like you just did, jumping between the two.
It's all I meant by it, don't put words into my mouth.
Commander
# 80
02-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Because of stuff like this.

A Klingon would not consider himself a "bad guy", so you just jumped from out-of-character to in-character.

And where did I say anything about "less valid"?
I said it's difficult to read.
Especially when people are, like you just did, jumping between the two.
It's all I meant by it, don't put words into my mouth.
That first quote, I was explaining something to a specific poster other than yourself.

OOC is not enforceable or mandatory on forums, just so you know.

Did you check out the Shadowclan link, btw? Here's another one to the "About Shadowclan" page.

It states we play "bad guys" ingame. We always consider ourselves to be the good guys but we like to frame things for those we kill so they understand us better and appreciate our intent at being high-quality opposition.

*sips some unnamed beverage then decides to slip into something more comfortable*

The "Does it matter?" part was meant for you.

Since your avatar is KDF, I figured you would not consider yourself a random feddie and take the RP as a discontinuation in discussion.

The rest of my post was directed at all the others who have brought up this very subject of RPers RPing while in discussions of peace talks. Not the first time this popped up. Old forums had that going on.

As for being confused... let's correct that, shall we?

Quote:
As a member of the KDF, I always try to keep my words consistent with my thoughts and deeds as a Warrior, whether in-game, on the forums or in-character.

Was not ever my intent to put words in your mouth. I hate it when others do that to me.

Qapla'
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Closed Thread