Rihannsu
# 11
02-04-2013, 07:03 PM
1: This is unclear. It was originally banned due to a general trade ban between the UFP and RSE. This stopped during the dominion war. BUT, one of the TNG movies established that it was illegal even after the trade ban was lifted. Why? Um, we don't know. Also, we don't know what is in it. It's apparently not fatal to humans or Klingons, but it seems to affect klingons more strongly than other forms of alcohol.

2: probably. it has something to do with the way klingons smell. Romulans most likely smell more like vulcans than klingons.

3: I don't think it's that big of an issue. besides the feds can probably make uniforms with miniature air conditioners if they want to.

4: Again, we don't know... maybe Targ. It possible the name has more to do with the color anyways.

5: yeah, especially after seeing all of what happened in TNG with it.... It is useful though.

6: actually... yes. The Feds have done that a LOT.

7: it's the downside of a group mind. You can't focus seperately, you're constantly distracted by what everyone else is doing.

8: Risa is basically a garden on a planetary scale. they manipulate the weather to be exactly the way they want it to be. and yeah.... it apparently needs better security.

9: there probably is some sort of standard time used

10: Romulan

11: Rank and Position are two different things. Technically, Tom and B'Elanna are civilians too. Janeway gave the jobs that require them to tell others what to do. Thus the crew follows their orders because Janeway said so.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 12
02-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diotw View Post
Here's a Voyager question. I've been watching the series all the way through for the first time (just starting season 7 now), and I'm wondering, does Seven of Nine actually hold some sort of Starfleet rank once she's made part of the crew? I mean, they give her a badge, but they also gave one to Neelix and Kes. She also seems to order around a lot of the other characters, and if she's a civilian passenger, you'd think a few more of them would have a problem with that.
Catsuit Wearer, First Class

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 13
02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
well that's what the Holosuites on DS9 were primarily used for...
Career Officer
# 14
02-04-2013, 07:15 PM
8. Could be worse. The Edo lived on a garden planet and the got the death penalty for sneezing too loudly.

Porthos is not amused.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
Here is a Trek question: If someone from our time was teleported into the time of TNG would they not use the holodeck for anything other than.. (rhymes with Gorn)
I'm going to go with "they'd GORN themselves to death". Its one of the problems I've hadf with Trek since the TNG era. I don't have a problem looking at the futuristic tech of holosuites and replicators...its the whole "and its all FREE BECAUSE WE DON'T NEED MONEY" thing that really turns me off.

Because if I I could basically have all of that and not have to pay for it I'd spend all of my time in a holosuite drinking replicated romulan ale and having "GORN" fests.

and so would you. and you. and you.

...and I'll never believe anyone that says they deny it, so don't bother.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
02-04-2013, 08:48 PM
I always assumed Bloodwine was made by fermenting Targ blood. It just seemed logical, since the Klingons eat Targs, and also eat disgusting things like Gagh. I wouldn't think they would be bothered by it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Heres another question:

What is the reason for the Romulans hatred of the Federation? (I mean before the destruction of Romulus). I can accept that they're the "bad guys" but I never found out exactly whay they seem to hate everyone. The Klingons, I get it....they were originally meant to symbolize the cold wars powers or something in the 60s, and eventually became the lovable lobsterhead warrior race we all know. They're culture already puts them at odd with the Feds. The Cardassians are like super space fascist galactic nazis, so yeah, got that....but the romulans? Is it just xenophobia? Is it just because they're genetically predisposed to be ***holes?
Rihannsu
# 18
02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
They're elitists who want to rule the universe. Their attempts to conquer the Feds have failed so far. Aside from their disliek of their Vulcan cousins they don't really hate the feds... They don't like them either, so they're kinda indifferent.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 19
02-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
What is the reason for the Romulans hatred of the Federation? (I mean before the destruction of Romulus). I can accept that they're the "bad guys" but I never found out exactly whay they seem to hate everyone. The Klingons, I get it....they were originally meant to symbolize the cold wars powers or something in the 60s, and eventually became the lovable lobsterhead warrior race we all know. They're culture already puts them at odd with the Feds. The Cardassians are like super space fascist galactic nazis, so yeah, got that....but the romulans? Is it just xenophobia? Is it just because they're genetically predisposed to be ***holes?
This is partially explained in ENT "Babel One", "United", and "The Aenar". If you haven't seen those episodes and don't want spoiler, skip the following paragraph.

In 2154, the Andorians and Tellarite were trying to create a peace treaty. The Romulans, fearing this could lead to a full alliance between the two powers (which would then be a threat to the Romulans), attempted to disrupt the peace talks by holographically disguising a warbird as various alien vessels and stirring up chaos around the region. Captain Archer and the Enterprise managed to talk the Andorians and Tellarites into working together (also with Earth and Vulcan vessels) to track down and eliminate the threat. So the Romulans' plan backfired -- instead of destabilizing the region, they ended up bringing the four races closer together.

Now the Romulans were afraid of the humans, and their ability to bring people together. So two years later they declared war on Earth and tried to conquer all human territories. Not only did the Romulans lose the war, but the humans continued to make alliances and ultimately created the Federation.

So that's why the Romulans hate the Federation: because they excel at making alliances, and such alliances can pose significant threats to the Star Empire.

Last edited by psycoticvulcan; 02-05-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Captain
# 20
02-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
Heres another question:

I believe Romulans were originally meant as an allegory of China.
All cloaks should be canon.