Starfleet Veteran
# 41
02-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Concerning the legality of Romulan Ale in the Federation, consider it much like the way Cuban cigars are illegal in the US. It is (or was) essentially a trade embargo against the Romulan Star Empire, and Romulan Ale is probably considered one of the best things they make... which in turn, makes it all the more exotic to the Federation because they're not supposed to import it.

Raptr profile
Captain
# 42
02-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
Here is a Trek question: If someone from our time was teleported into the time of TNG would they not use the holodeck for anything other than.. (rhymes with Gorn)
Someone from our time? Heck, Reg Barclay was a 24th Century Boy, and he probably should've been signing the sex offenders register, not serving on the Federation flagship, for what he got up to on the holodeck
Empire Veteran
# 43
02-05-2013, 04:09 PM
I like how the enterprise shows up and sees a percieved wrong in a civilization (being controlled by a computer, mind control or whatnot), thinks that it is wrong, and stops it (Blows up the computer), then says basically "Well, good luck trying to feed yourself" and warps out of there.
Rihannsu
# 44
02-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
It also irks me that nearly anytime they visit a city, on a planet, that city is named the same as the planet.

Think of how many cities we have on Earth. None of them are "Earth City." And even if there were one city named "Earth City" there would be dozens or hundreds of others that were not.
How funny, there is actually an Earth City, Mo. Not too far from where I live.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samir Bennal, Captain of the Onyxhammer
Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
Career Officer
# 45
02-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpen View Post
I like how the enterprise shows up and sees a percieved wrong in a civilization (being controlled by a computer, mind control or whatnot), thinks that it is wrong, and stops it (Blows up the computer), then says basically "Well, good luck trying to feed yourself" and warps out of there.
That's what we in the Anthropology world call "Ethnocentric Thinking"
Captain
# 46
02-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Why didn't we see any evidence of the Eugenics Wars in VOY "Future's End"? Or in the timestream in "Storm Front (part 2)"?
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Rihannsu
# 47
02-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
1) Why is every species except humanity named after their planet (or vice versa)? Romulans come from Romulus. Vulcans come from Vulcan. Andorians come from Andoria (or, occasionally, Andor - w00t inconsistancies!). The Tellarites come from Tellar. Denobulans come from - you guessed it - Denobula! Presumably, the Borg originated on Borgulus Prime or something. As a courtesy to our future alien neighbours, I propose we rename our planet Humania. Or maybe Humania III, for extra clarity.
Well Humans tend to be called Terrians or Earthers by Klingons.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 48
02-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamstrike View Post
Well Humans tend to be called Terrians or Earthers by Klingons.
And in the mirror universe as well.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawgenigma View Post
How funny, there is actually an Earth City, Mo. Not too far from where I live.
Really? I saw once online there was (or is rather) a town named "Hell" somewhere in the US. I'll have to look it up. It makes me chuckle to think of driving around and seeing a sign saying "Welcome to Hell".

I grew up in northern Delaware...there a town in Pennsylvania (I lived practically on the border) named "Intercourse". Heck, I went there once with a bunch of college buddies.....half of our group was female. (or is it morg or imorg?).

Sadly, we didn't indulge in the towns name.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-05-2013, 08:41 PM
TEETH!

The klingons are a proud warrior race, right? And they have their hands on some fairly impressive technology. Heck, they have a claoking device that can confound the sensors of the mighty federation!

So why are their teeth so horrible. Didn't they ever invent toothpaste, or even dental care at all? I'm retiring at the moment (its a lengthy process) from the US Army after 23 years and ya know what...I have always been required to have a dental exam EVERY YEAR. Because my general health..and that of any "warrior"....is important to a fighting force. How much fighting do you think you'd wanna do when your teeth are rotting? Don't give me the "Klingons don't put a lot of faith in medicine" stuff. we're not talking about coplex surgery, we're talking about simple dental care. For a race that seems to really like to eat wierd grub lik gagh and targ, they sure got some nasty choppers. I'm betting they never invented listerine, either.