Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,254
# 21
02-05-2013, 03:18 PM
I thought ST2009 was a good popcorn film and I'm glad it was successful in reviving the franchise, but I do hope the next official series and/or movies will be more like what we saw in DS9 and ENT. They had great formulas that would work for modern audiences today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
the fact that JJ inserted droids from Star Wars into the film blows all that out of the water.
The Millenium Falcon was present during the Battle of Sector 001 in First Contact. (pic)

Darth Vader's grave was seen in "Sub Rosa". (pic)

Just because he put an Easter Egg in the movie doesn't de-canonize it.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q

Last edited by psycoticvulcan; 02-05-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 793
# 22
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
You know what Easter Eggs are, right?

well yes. Duh. But those driods didn't belong there.


As an exercise in the art of the compromise, I will agree that it was odd to see that droid. Was really not expecting that.

That's putting it lightly

Perhaps artists need to stick to inserting genitalia into their work instead of cross-referencing other pop culture icons? Blame them imo.

Agreed. At least the genetalia will be from THIS universe

JJTrek brought me back to the IP. I was at a remote location at the time and had a copy to entertain me. Was one of the reasons I pre-ordered STO, tbh. Got some crappy point defense console instead of the red matter one... grrrr... but I digress.

wait what?! oh. Right the red matter console was given during pre-order. I thought everybody who pre-ordered got it?!

The new movie looks to be recycling more of the first and appears to be not too original. Ooo, Earth is threatened again by a certain individual and this time it's different! LOL

Well the first one was very well written. It go the heart of Picard's emotions (something which we've never seen, including Deanna who once said that he "always has this wall up...."

Funny how Star trek has turned into a license to print money instead of promoting better sci-fi and intelligent entertainment for thinking people.

well THAT started with JJ. He wanted to create that was separate from the proper ST universe, and every body was on the OMG-SO-SUPER-EPIC-I'M-HAVING-A-NON-TREKKIE-FILMS-GROW-ON-TREES orgasm!! >.>


Will wait for the pirate copy. Arrggh. Argggh. *slaps a cabin boy just for fun*
shhhh!!! *looks around for men in black*
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 240
# 23
02-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan78 View Post
I thought that I saw a statement from Paramount that JJ was still under contract for at least one more movie that has not changed. So don't get you hopes up too much.

PS: I personally liked the new Star Trek.
I was thinking on this myself. It seemed the OP was making the assumption that just because Abrams has been tapped to helm Episode 7, this somehow means he can't make any more Star Trek films.

Which is a wholly fan-centric view of how movies are made.

Abrams will make Star Wars Episode 7 and is still under contract for Star Trek, and I'm okay with that. On a personal note: I grew up with Prime Trek, TMP onward. I'm in STO because I love and cherish Prime Trek. I also was able to enjoy Abrams Trek when I saw it and I bought the DVD and watch it from time to time. Abrams Trek isn't threatening my beloved Prime Trek, not if the books and other media still released on Prime has anything to suggest about it. Oh, and there's that silly little game called Star Trek Online which is 99.9% Prime Trek and has established the idea that Abrams Trek is one of the many alternate realities from Prime Trek.

Methinks the bigger quandary is the animosity towards Abrams I see but don't understand. Maybe it's because I wasn't familiar with Abrams' material prior to Abrams Trek? I didn't get to see how he apparently butchered Lost or other television shows, thus coloring his name in fecal chocolate for all eternity with others?

To the OP: Let's try'n be a bit more inclusive about our idea for what Star Trek can be. Abrams has his vision, that's fine. Especially when more people than you think are in STO and learning about Prime Trek because of Abrams. And for the future survival and relevance of all things Star Trek, I find that good.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 793
# 24
02-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I thought ST2009 was a good popcorn film and I'm glad it was successful in reviving the franchise, but I do hope the next official series and/or movies will be more like what we saw in DS9 and ENT. They had great formulas that would work for modern audiences today.



The Millenium Falcon was present during the Battle of Sector 001 in First Contact. (pic)

Darth Vader's grave was seen in "Sub Rosa". (pic)

Just because he put an Easter Egg in the movie doesn't de-canonize it.
you DO know some films use barely visible stock photage because of time and budget constraints right?

that's a far cry from putting in a stupid DROID


This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 02-05-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 793
# 25
02-05-2013, 03:56 PM
wrong post....sorry...

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 02-05-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,254
# 26
02-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
you DO know some films use barely visible stock photage because of time and budget constraints right?
If it were a time or budget constraint there were plenty of models they could have used, including ones designed specifically for that movie (Akira, Norway, Steamrunner, etc). They chose to use the Millenium Falcon as a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
that's a far cry from putting in a stupid DROID
If it were clearly visible and easy to notice on-screen I might agree. But the way it is, it's really no different than the aforementioned Millenium Falcon and Vader's grave. I personally never noticed it until it was pointed out on Memory Alpha.


This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-05-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 793
# 27
02-05-2013, 04:26 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-05-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,254
# 28
02-05-2013, 04:40 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-05-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,509
# 29
02-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes


you DO know some films use barely visible stock photage because of time and budget constraints right?

that's a far cry from putting in a stupid DROID
You really think those were stock footage? No. The scene with the MFalcon was new work done by ILM for the movie. Vader's grave was a prop created specifically for that episode.

Seriously.... NO ONE agrees with your stance that the 2009 trek movie isn't canon. Give it a rest, or provide proof.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-05-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 808
# 30
02-05-2013, 05:22 PM
I love lone fans who claim to represent the majority or even all Trekkies.

I've known several of them.

And based on the fact that STO is still here, that Trek '09 did very well and going by the amount of buzz Everything Blows Up I MEAN INTO DARKNESS is generating...

...they are wrong.

To those special snowflakes: You are not some Trek-ical Messiah with legions of fans behind you, nor are people flocking to your view daily. You are loud, you are obnoxious and you are wrong.

Sadly forums like this, and others allow them to preach into an empty oil-drum while the rest of us judge the new stuff based on it's own merits... not based on some near-autistic self-centered personal canon that can't be reasoned with.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:12 AM.