# 41
02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
This guy seems a bit like a troll.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
*in the voice of the President's advisor from Independence Day*...that's not ENTIRELY accurate sir....

Going to look for a mythical planet, and having some artificial(?) intelligence telling you its God isn't the same thing.
It was a spiritual journey for all of them. Well to be fair, it was the quest of a Vulcan, Spock's brother, to find this place; to search for more enlightenment.
...and a sucky movie.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
Whenever I worry that I might be taking my fandom too far, I can always find some thread to assure me that, no, there's real crazy out there and I'm not it.
You think thats crazy? When the game launched there was a guy that was downright obsessed-nutso-crazy about trek. I can't remember his name, it was super-something or other. He spammed threads about wanting to start a real Starfleet. Real. As in he had access to spaceships. Not even joking.

I will admit that engaging him in the forums was a bit of a laugh, but in the end I started to really feel sorry for him. It was sort of obvious that outside of Star Trek and science fiction he didn't have a life. I actually exchanged a few PMs with him before I stopped my old sub...he wasn't that bad of a guy, but he did need some help, mental health wise.
Captain
# 44
02-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
Whenever I worry that I might be taking my fandom too far, I can always find some thread to assure me that, no, there's real crazy out there and I'm not it.
Never discount the power of malice.

Last edited by twg042370; 02-05-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Commander
# 45
02-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Considering the Mouse has its paws on the franchise now, I smell a conflict of interest clause coming out where JJ is concerned.
Or maybe we will just see Mouse-based Easter Eggs everywhere?

Am sure all the legalities were quite well-hammered out prior, though. The new films were announced with the change of IP ownership so that ball was in play for a good while prior.

Pretty solid players, IP-wise, on both sides so if there was a perceived conflict of interest on JJ's part, he would not have been named is what I am thinking.

Am truly surprised there was no ST:TV show alumni to direct the newer movies which could imply that the earlier nepotism which was, is no more. Take that, Wesley Crusher!

In an industry where trilogies are more golden than sequels, maintaining a consistency of vision as well as the artistic and cinematic feel could be considered important. Also,since we are looking at re-branding, am sure there is also a want by the IP-holders to "stay the course" more so than not.

IE: Using same director on a project until he/she works their way out of said position. There are possible risks which come with the act of throwing a new jockey onto the franchise-horse while hoping for the best... but the IP-holders really don't strike me as the gambling type. If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Career Officer
# 46
02-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
Or maybe we will just see Mouse-based Easter Eggs everywhere?

lol please don't encourage them

Am sure all the legalities were quite well-hammered out prior, though. The new films were announced with the change of IP ownership so that ball was in play for a good while prior.

Pretty solid players, IP-wise, on both sides so if there was a perceived conflict of interest on JJ's part, he would not have been named is what I am thinking.

Well in my industry, publicity stunts happen all the time. Sometimes they are conveniently dissolved just to get people riled up. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Am truly surprised there was no ST:TV show alumni to direct the newer movies which could imply that the earlier nepotism which was, is no more. Take that, Wesley Crusher!

Several of [actors] HAVE directed some major projects and episodes of various series. I'm hoping they would ask one of them to do a proper film project.....

In an industry where trilogies are more golden than sequels, maintaining a consistency of vision as well as the artistic and cinematic feel could be considered important. Also,since we are looking at re-branding, am sure there is also a want by the IP-holders to "stay the course" more so than not.

That first part is certainly true. But the latter part is usually because they are on the money making band-wagon. They want to favor quantity as opposed to quality. Seriously though, considering Christopher Nolan's quality work, he should direct a proper St film. He certainly does his research. So I think he would be a sure bet.

IE: Using same director on a project until he/she works their way out of said position. There are possible risks which come with the act of throwing a new jockey onto the franchise-horse while hoping for the best... but the IP-holders really don't strike me as the gambling type. If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense.
yeah...quantity over quality. No wonder people in Hollywood, including my former musical publicist, go absolutely NUTS when people want to make a film WITHOUT Hollywood help, and do everything to stop them. Kind of like a Ferengi with an over-exaggerated sense of greed.

EDIT: for example like how Hollywood wents nuts when Mario van Peebles father wanted to make a film outside of Hollywood..

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 02-05-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Captain
# 47
02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
yeah...quantity over quality. No wonder people in Hollywood, including my former musical publicist, go absolutely NUTS when people want to make a film WITHOUT Hollywood help, and do everything to stop them. Kind of like a Ferengi with an over-exaggerated sense of greed.
What do you think the Ferengi were based off of?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 48
02-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
What do you think the Ferengi were based off of?
Well Armin Shimmerman said Ferengi are a parody of Jews.
I think that interview might have been on the Late Show with David Letterman...but it could have been on a morning show, I can't remember.
Captain
# 49
02-05-2013, 08:30 PM
I like the new JJ Trek myself just not as much as the others. Some bits were very cool, some were just plain stupid. (I'm looking at Scotty's mascot, it needs to die. All silly mascots in sci fi films needs to die, blarp, ewoks, jar jar, now this scotty... thing)

Best way to look at JJ Trek is literally what its says it is: an alternate reality, that's why I like STO its dealing with the fall out of the Hobus nova and its aftermath, best thing JJ Trek gave us.

Also this rumour in that Spock will die in the new film. I think in a bizarre twist not yet revealed its old Spock not new Spock who will die (again)
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Captain
# 50
02-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Has it been confirmed that JJ is not doing more Star Trek films? I know that he was going to do Star Wars and he could do both. As far as his Star Trek movies go, I don't have a problem with them except for the whole alternate timeline thing. It seems like he didn't like the history of Star Trek and decided to start it from the beginning. It seems like he has a problem with Vulcans since the comic book prologue of the movie has the destruction of Romulus and he destroys Vulcan in his movie. This leads me to the conclusion that he is conceited and a egomaniac where he can't work on another person's project without completely changing it.