Empire Veteran
I am thinking to give it a try, and I was wondering if they are worth for a shot? Currently, I am using plasma cannons with Mk XII very rare consoles
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Captain
# 2
01-29-2013, 03:55 AM
From what I've seen they're not worth the money you spend on them.
Ensign
# 3
01-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Typically more useful in PVP as your opponents have shields. Plenty of targets in STFs are unshielded and when it does proc, its kinda weak.

Your Plasma can stack even more with consoles from the embassy and other setups.
Commander
# 4
01-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardie47 View Post
Typically more useful in PVP as your opponents have shields. Plenty of targets in STFs are unshielded and when it does proc, its kinda weak.

Your Plasma can stack even more with consoles from the embassy and other setups.
Pretty much this, although theoretically you could create an ideal setup for PvE missions like STFs if you run a Science Vessel. Dedicate your BoFF powers and skillls to shield and energy drains, then you don't need as many energy weapons. You can run 2 polarized Tetryon beams for a 20% chance to drain enemy shields every time you fire, and then load powerful torpedoes into the other slots.
More anything?
"MORE EVERYTHING!"
-Jerry Seinfeld on Star Trek Online Content

Foundry Works: Uncharted
Empire Veteran
# 5
01-29-2013, 06:38 AM
ok, thx guys
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Captain
# 6
02-05-2013, 03:15 PM
I like my tetryon weapons, they do knock down shields a little faster than other weapon types and are a good alternative to the anti-proton weapons which you cant get outside of a fleet now for a heap of dil. I also prefer them to anti protons on an aesthetic level, they look and sound better than anti-p's.

Its all down to you personal preference, get some cheap ones and do some comparing, best thing to do.
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Career Officer
# 7
02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiswordz View Post
I like my tetryon weapons, they do knock down shields a little faster than other weapon types and are a good alternative to the anti-proton weapons which you cant get outside of a fleet now for a heap of dil. I also prefer them to anti protons on an aesthetic level, they look and sound better than anti-p's.

Its all down to you personal preference, get some cheap ones and do some comparing, best thing to do.
Agreed. Having both sets I don't see too much of a difference between them to be honest. That being said both of my sets are off the exchange and are NOT fleet weapons. The latter packs an extra punch because of the rarity and expense involved.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Captain
# 8
02-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardie47 View Post

Don't the Borg show up in a lot of STFs? Don't the Borg naturally resist plasma?
Captain
# 9
02-05-2013, 08:04 PM
To further my own answer and the question above.

Yes the bug which prevented the Borg in the game from adapting to plasma fire has been fixed in a recent patch so the fire isn't as effective anymore.

Also tetryons are common drops in matches like SB24 and Gorn/ fed minefield as well as fleet mark events.

Another good tetryon to look out for are Phased Tetryons from the old Tholian lock box. my sci toon's Nebula Retro has them and give good punch to the ship.
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Captain
# 10
02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I've found them useful if you have a torpedo heavy cruiser. (I'm doing 4 beams/ 4 torps. The trick is getting pointed in the right direction in time for the shield drop) But if all you care about is the effect, and/ or keeping up with the STF Joneses, there are better options.

And if you're doing PvP you should go the premades route and use whatever is this patch's fave.