Captain
# 51
02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Has it been confirmed that JJ is not doing more Star Trek films? I know that he was going to do Star Wars and he could do both. As far as his Star Trek movies go, I don't have a problem with them except for the whole alternate timeline thing. It seems like he didn't like the history of Star Trek and decided to start it from the beginning. It seems like he has a problem with Vulcans since the comic book prologue of the movie has the destruction of Romulus and he destroys Vulcan in his movie. This leads me to the conclusion that he is conceited and a egomaniac where he can't work on another person's project without completely changing it.
Considering there's a good twenty years worth of Star Trek to go over, I'm surprised JJ got as much right as he did.

He will be involved with the third one, though probably not as a director. I wonder who will direct it in his place.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Lieutenant
# 52
02-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Granted I've been skimming this thread but some things have just jumped out at me...

So the mouse owning something means it is bad...

I guess Avengers was the worst and the movies leading up to it were horrible... (remember Mouse owns Marvel)
Lucas showed with the prequels he truly didn't care or want to make the films. He was guilted/threatened into making them.

Personally I loved the 2009 movie, I looked at it like the reboot the franchise needed to attract new fans. Not as some blasphemous horror others have called.

JJ will be around both universes for a long time to come I think.
Lieutenant
# 53
02-05-2013, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't mind if JJ made more trek films. The next one looks like it has the potential to be really good. At first I hated the new film, but I gave it a second chance and watched it again and now I really like it, partially because it was the first trek film (aside from the wrath of khan) that didn't feel like a really long TV episode. I also like the fact that the film made stuff like engineering look much more functional and industrial--yeah, it may be like star wars, but it feels a bit more realistic so I don't mind.

The biggest thing I disliked about the latest film was lens flares in every single shot. It was pretty for the first 5 minutes of the film and then it got really old. And there was too many points where the action sequences felt like filler--however, the quality of the action sequences were much higher than previous trek productions in general; most of the combat in the shows seems stiff and choreographed in my opinion (although DS9 had some great space battles).

That, and Delta Vega is nowhere near Vulcan in *any* version of the star charts that I am aware of. And even if it was, you couldn't see Vulcan with the naked eye unless it were like a moon or something.

As far as star wars goes, JJ would probably be an improvement even if he adds lots of lens flares. Frankly George Lucas was a bad director. He was a great idea person but all of the movies he directed in the series were the weaker ones.

Darius (TAC VA) USS Gahreesen (Chel Grett Cruiser), Shomat (SCI VA) ISS Selentic (Mirror DSSV), Napoleon (ENG Capt.) USS Fists of Latinum (Exploration Cruiser), Gothmog (Tac Capt.) IKS Nazgul (Hegh'ta Heavy BoP), Aaesia (Reman Sci Capt) RRW Arien III (Ha'Nom Guardian)
Commander
# 54
02-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiswordz View Post
Also this rumour in that Spock will die in the new film. I think in a bizarre twist not yet revealed its old Spock not new Spock who will die (again)
Spock dies.

We can has Zombie Spock?

Quote:
This leads me to the conclusion that he is conceited and a egomaniac where he can't work on another person's project without completely changing it.
Even directors answer to higher-ups aka Studio folk and IP holders. Am sure JJ does what he is told versus what he wants aka has parameters to work with-in as much as artistic license allows for with regards to the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Considering there's a good twenty years worth of Star Trek to go over, I'm surprised JJ got as much right as he did.

He will be involved with the third one, though probably not as a director. I wonder who will direct it in his place.
This just in from imaginerynews.com:

"Sources close to the studio are not saying much at the moment.

JJ's personal rep declined to answer any and all questions regarding his not working on the next installment of the Star Trek franchise.

Though, JJ's hairstyle did confirm rumors going around Hollywood that it and JJ did part ways earlier. It was still standing stiff with "No comment" on the subject of working on a secret project for Paramount Pictures, at this time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanadanat View Post
JJ will be around both universes for a long time to come I think.
Looks that way to me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiewooster View Post
As far as star wars goes, JJ would probably be an improvement even if he adds lots of lens flares. Frankly George Lucas was a bad director. He was a great idea person but all of the movies he directed in the series were the weaker ones.
True.

Lucas can only rip-off some much originality.

He was also the master micro-management with his real-time rubber-stamping of everything SW related. Saw it on the extra features of "Attack of the Clowns".

I can see the Mouse taking the SW franchise to a much better place. Like the earlier versions were so adult-orientated... not. Might even see some goodies for the adults as well as the young ones.

Go, JJ, go!
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8

Last edited by user839020189287; 02-05-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Captain
# 55
02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Has it been confirmed that JJ is not doing more Star Trek films? I know that he was going to do Star Wars and he could do both. As far as his Star Trek movies go, I don't have a problem with them except for the whole alternate timeline thing. It seems like he didn't like the history of Star Trek and decided to start it from the beginning. It seems like he has a problem with Vulcans since the comic book prologue of the movie has the destruction of Romulus and he destroys Vulcan in his movie. This leads me to the conclusion that he is conceited and a egomaniac where he can't work on another person's project without completely changing it.

I was thinking much the same thing, JJ must really hate the pointy ears, because both the Romulans and the Klingons had a number done on them. I have heard some point out that this is an laternate continuity, and that the original timeline still exists, but they seem to be missing that he blew up Romulus in the original timeline. So many plot threads from the show cut short without heed. No reunification, no sela, no more saber ratling between them and the federation. The romulans were one of the last interesting antagonists left in the TNG/DS9/VOY era since the Borg got beaten by Janeway, and the Dominion war ended (leaving Cardassia a wreck). To add insult to injury, now that romulans in that era have been wiped out, our last glimpse of them is Nero-who looks nothing like a romulan, and pilots a ship that looks nothing like a romulan ship. So the last romulans we see from that era aren't even romulans, and in fact seem to be based more off of the Remans from Nemesis instead of the Romulans (and their ship too).

I think JJ Abrams was trying to leave his mark on the ST universe by blowing up Vulcan (probably the alien planet in ST most outsiders would be familiar with) Ditto with Romulus. I don't think he really cared about the ramifications or how important those two planets were to ST fans, he just wanted to throw his weight around as the guy in charge of ST. Romulus and Vulcan had the misfortune to be jsut recognizable enough by their audience to get a emotional response while still playing it safe (as oppsoed to blowing up, say Earth first, and then having the heroes rush to save vulcan).

Unfortunately it has now left its mark on the canon of the franchise, so any and all material post-JJ trek has to take his silver screen dross into consideration and work it into the narrative, which is why we have a romulan empire in STO that is quite frankly, pathetic compared to its series counterpart.
Career Officer
# 56
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiswordz View Post
I like the new JJ Trek myself just not as much as the others. Some bits were very cool, some were just plain stupid. (I'm looking at Scotty's mascot, it needs to die. All silly mascots in sci fi films needs to die, blarp, ewoks, jar jar, now this scotty... thing)

mascot? I do really understand your distaste with certain characters - the film couldn't ONLY have humans and vulcans. But really,did you expect him to be on an inhospitable alien world, albeit, Federation world, alone?? that's kind of harsh don't you think? In JJ's version Scotty was sent to another planet to be punished. So sending another human there to share his punishment doesn't seem fair.

Also this rumor in that Spock will die in the new film. I think in a bizarre twist not yet revealed its old Spock not new Spock who will die (again)
they should just kill off all the alternate universe characters, since their deaths, anyway, won't count as part of the prime universe, and bring them back as ghosts who are running around their adrift ship. Only none of them can see each other. Or they get exposed to metegenic radiation that decays their bodies but doesn't kill them... >.>
Yes I'm being serious in an angry sort of way, and partly facetious.

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 02-05-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Commander
# 57
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Consider how Cryptic has a short-leash with what it can add to the game or not... that has to be factored in with this discussion.

Do you really think a director for a movie does not have the same controls in place to contend with?

Scripts have to be approved before they can be developed and am more than sure that issues regarding canon are not left to the director's discretion.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Career Officer
# 58
02-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
I was thinking much the same thing, JJ must really hate the pointy ears, because both the Romulans and the Klingons had a number done on them. I have heard some point out that this is an laternate continuity, and that the original timeline still exists, but they seem to be missing that he blew up Romulus in the original timeline. So many plot threads from the show cut short without heed. No reunification, no sela, no more saber ratling between them and the federation. The romulans were one of the last interesting antagonists left in the TNG/DS9/VOY era since the Borg got beaten by Janeway, and the Dominion war ended (leaving Cardassia a wreck). To add insult to injury, now that romulans in that era have been wiped out, our last glimpse of them is Nero-who looks nothing like a romulan, and pilots a ship that looks nothing like a romulan ship. So the last romulans we see from that era aren't even romulans, and in fact seem to be based more off of the Remans from Nemesis instead of the Romulans (and their ship too).

I think JJ Abrams was trying to leave his mark on the ST universe by blowing up Vulcan (probably the alien planet in ST most outsiders would be familiar with) Ditto with Romulus. I don't think he really cared about the ramifications or how important those two planets were to ST fans, he just wanted to throw his weight around as the guy in charge of ST. Romulus and Vulcan had the misfortune to be jsut recognizable enough by their audience to get a emotional response while still playing it safe (as oppsoed to blowing up, say Earth first, and then having the heroes rush to save vulcan).

I think you hit the nail on the head, with your second paragraph. This is almost identical to what happened with Tim Burton and the first Batman film. Everybody was all excited etc etc, and then when he was asked later about the character and the film, he quite frankly said, "I never really gave a **** about Batman". And it seems JJ has this attitude as well. Only this attitude has manifested in a passive aggressive manner with this umm 'film'.

Unfortunately it has now left its mark on the canon of the franchise, so any and all material post-JJ trek has to take his silver screen dross into consideration and work it into the narrative, which is why we have a romulan empire in STO that is quite frankly, pathetic compared to its series counterpart.

He already mentioned in several interviews as did CBS execitives that this doesn't affect the past Star Trek projects. I seriously don't think they are that callous and stupid to lose the majority of their science-fiction and Trekkie audience. But then again they ARE a corporation - and when was the last time a corporation thought of anything besides greed?
So yeah. I mean this film is akin to the Batman films, or to the two latest Superman films. They don't count as part of what has been established in the comic books. And they know that, which is why they are letting their greed drive to create reboots, and remakes....and so on and so forth. And disregarding quality all together.
Career Officer
# 59
02-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
Consider how Cryptic has a short-leash with what it can add to the game or not... that has to be factored in with this discussion.

Do you really think a director for a movie does not have the same controls in place to contend with?

Scripts have to be approved before they can be developed and am more than sure that issues regarding canon are not left to the director's discretion.
well it is true that they are on a specific leash length. Which is why studios sometimes tend to replace directors or even writers(!) on films and then just release some stupid statement about it being a time constraint issue, or what have you.....
Career Officer
# 60
02-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
Spock dies. We can has Zombie Spock?

*facepalm* yeah and then it can be known as a [mirror] universe of the dead and decaying.

I can see the Mouse taking the SW franchise to a much better place. Like the earlier versions were so adult-orientated... not. Might even see some goodies for the adults as well as the young ones.
Yes, more mature content - here's hoping for blood and guts....not. At least not with the rodent over-seeing things.