Career Officer
# 61
02-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanadanat View Post
So the mouse owning something means it is bad...

Of course. Did you think Pirates of _______ was a good series of films?? Where there were lethal sword fights, with absolutely no visible injuries or blood?
having something so unrealistic is what gives the wrong idea to kids and makes them think that they could climb on top of an air-conditioner and jump from 6 stories up thinking that they can fly.
Well that also has to do with a lot of stupid people walking around, stupid parents, et.c., but that's another story

I guess Avengers was the worst and the movies leading up to it were horrible... (remember Mouse owns Marvel)

Lucas showed with the prequels he truly didn't care or want to make the films. He was guilted/threatened into making them.

What?! no he wasn't!! He said himself, even YEARS ago, that he wanted to do the origin stories in a specific manner but didn't have the technological means to do it back then!!
Why be so harsh on Lucas?
If anything the constant bashing and insults that Lucas has received from the so called Warsies, is probably what drove him to depression, and in turn sell his baby (SW)!
I really don't think bashing [Lucas], who had this as his dream project, is fair, as if the deranged group of fans could have done better. And that's coming from a trekkie
If they thought their SW creations were better why didn't they present them to a studio? why didn't they come on to proper news stations to promote their 'work'? Why didn't they rant about Lucas publicly, instead of seeding their evil feces all over the internet just to poison the reputation of a man who just wanted to bring his very own idea to life?? I think the answer is extremely obvious.

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 02-05-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Ensign
# 62
02-05-2013, 11:35 PM
As a relatively new fan to the series, I am curious to hear what many of the long time fans of the Trek franchise dislike so much about JJ-Trek. And I mean honest, detailed complaints. I don't want broad "It was bad" I want to know specifics, because, honestly, I enjoyed JJ-Trek, in fact it is probably what got me interested in going back and getting into it, so I'm really curious to know what the older fans disliked about the film. Again, details, not generalizations.
Empire Veteran
# 63
02-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
I can't remember his name, it was super-something or other. He spammed threads about wanting to start a real Starfleet. Real. As in he had access to spaceships. Not even joking.
Wow! how was he going to fund the tactical displays, let alone the whole ship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
Well Armin Shimmerman said Ferengi are a parody of Jews.
I think that interview might have been on the Late Show with David Letterman...but it could have been on a morning show, I can't remember.
And Klingons for Muslims..and Dominion for Christians? They look pretty confused
Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

Career Officer
# 64
02-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapwefan View Post
Wow! how was he going to fund the tactical displays, let alone the whole ship?

And Klingons for Muslims..and Dominion for Christians? They look pretty confused
no oddly enough Klingons with their battle prowess are modelled after Greeks, specifically Spartans... i think... i could be wrong.
Dominion i have no idea... Romulans definitely modelled after Romans though
Commander
# 65
02-06-2013, 12:01 AM
What I really disliked was that googly-eyed med tech assisting Kirk Jr. into the world. Hate to base people on their looks but it just reeked of a stupid, stupid, stupid move whoever thought the movie needed googly-eyes.

Rest of the movie played out well enough that I finished watching it but that beginning almost made me stop and go do something else.

Oh and those stupid cadet hats. Who the **** thinks up uniforms for these movies? LadyGaga's bra designer?

One thing I noticed and not many have referenced was the use of the tiny Starfleet symbols on the uniforms. Made them almost scaley in appearance and could be interpreted as a nod to CADPAT and MARPAT. Both digital camo patterns are built around a symbol; Maple Leaf for CADPAT and the Eagle, Globe & Anchor for MARPAT.

[Edit: Added link to tiny Starfleet symbols. Added Eagle. Was thinking it but did not type it in the first time.]
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8

Last edited by user839020189287; 02-06-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 66
02-06-2013, 12:06 AM
I liked the new Trek...It was a bout thime the yrebooted Trek.

I remember watching First Contact commentary, and them talking about wanting to do a Crisis on infinite Earth kind of thing and reboot the franchise.

They had to reboot Trek to many Fans getting mad over canon inconsistencies, and raging over stuff, and the producers got tired of having to go look back and keep track of canon. Now they have a fresh start and can make new stuff instead of worrying about canon, that's why comics reboot every few years.

I like trek fan, I hate trek fans, they always ruin Trek for me....like people
Bill Shatner said it best when it came to fans.

Cryptic keeps making something signature worthy almost everyday now, I 'm taking a break

Last edited by neoakiraii; 02-06-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Commander
# 67
02-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
no oddly enough Klingons with their battle prowess are modelled after Greeks, specifically Spartans... i think... i could be wrong.
Dominion i have no idea... Romulans definitely modelled after Romans though
TOS Klingons were more like Eurasian aka Russian with the Cold War thing represented in UFP vs. KDF. Since then their culture seems to be more Japanese along the lines of Samurai and their adherence to Bushido. Throw in some Chinese references to weaponry, also.

Disagree they are Muslim as Klingons drink alot.

The helmet which is use in STO looks Greek, though. The ST website shows another version of that helmet which is on the cover of an upcoming ST comic.

Greeks, in western culture, were more considered to be Philosophers, Traders, Tutors. The Spartans exemplified the Warrior, of course but they were not the norm for Greek culture as a whole. They were the only Greeks to not have city walls as they considered their fighting men to be the best defense.

Maybe devs and canon checkers for the IP holders are jumping onto the popularity wagon which was been rolling since the movie 300 came out and made things Thlingon, Lacedaemon.

"This is... Qo'noS!"

Come to think of it, now I think they directly tried to reference that. Funny how the original Lacedaemons thought themselves to be philosophers first and warriors second. It was one of the best kept secrets and history remembers them best as brutes and rough people. Oh, the irony.

Laconic is a term that comes from their way of speech which was "to the point"... bet ya didn't see that coming. Their terse use of language also supports their being philosophers and explains why we in the KDf got our **** together.

The Ferengi strike me more to be akin to merchants from the former Paris of the Middle East.

The Dominion could be Armenian possibly? Kim Kardassian's mom looks Cardassian irl.

Captain Kirk seems to be the embodiment of Mom, Apple Pie aka America which is very Christian in origin.

Leonard Nimoy talks of his famous Vulcan Salute which comes from use in a Jewish blessing so I guess Vulcans got that covered.

Romulans and Remans are Roman. It supports Vulcans being Jewish as the first Christians appeared in Rome as a Jewish cult and later, influenced their empire, thus maintaining a connection. Messy to explain but an association inherent.

Theory-crafting, in cultural terms, makes me feel uncomfortable though and I apologize if anyone feels offended.

This would explain why Gene Roddenberry refrained from citing sources directly and on the record.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Career Officer
# 68
02-06-2013, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
Greeks, in western culture, were more considered to be Philosophers, Traders, Tutors. The Spartans exemplified the Warrior, of course but they were not the norm for Greek culture as a whole. They were the only Greeks to not have city walls as they considered their fighting men to be the best defense.

Maybe devs and canon checkers for the IP holders are jumping onto the popularity wagon which was been rolling since the movie 300 came out and made things Thlingon, Lacedaemon.

Actually on an unrelated note: Frank Miller's version of the 300 honor/personal guard of Leonidas, was suppose to be much more brutal. But he said he didn't want to scare people, so he toned it down lol

"This is... Qo'noS!"

Come to think of it, now I think they directly tried to reference that. Funny how the original Lacedaemons thought themselves to be philosophers first and warriors second. It was one of the best kept secrets and history remembers them best as brutes and rough people. Oh, the irony.

Well keeping some things to themselves usually worked to their benefit. But we were/are both.

Laconic is a term that comes from their way of speech which was "to the point"... bet ya didn't see that coming. Their terse use of language also supports their being philosophers and explains why we in the KDf got our **** together.

Yes. I know, I'm Hellenic. My mother is from Sparta...Laconia specifically. If you ever met my brethren in Laconia (close to Skala and Palaiochori) you'll immediately notice that

Romulans and Remans are Roman. It supports Vulcans being Jewish as the first Christians appeared in Rome as a Jewish cult and later, influenced their empire, thus maintaining a connection. Messy to explain but an association inherent.

Theory-crafting, in cultural terms, makes me feel uncomfortable though and I apologize if anyone feels offended.

No worries. There will always be someone who is knowledgeable to tell you if you are making mistakes there's always room to learn. Unless you come across somebody from a pseudo-culture that has known nothing but propaganda, in which case it is better to cross the street to avoid the headaches lol

This would explain why Gene Roddenberry refrained from citing sources directly and on the record.

Well he was never the aggressive type, as far as I know. So he would avoid a **** storm when he could. I could be wrong lol
Captain
# 69
02-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luridxdawn View Post
As a relatively new fan to the series, I am curious to hear what many of the long time fans of the Trek franchise dislike so much about JJ-Trek. And I mean honest, detailed complaints. I don't want broad "It was bad" I want to know specifics, because, honestly, I enjoyed JJ-Trek, in fact it is probably what got me interested in going back and getting into it, so I'm really curious to know what the older fans disliked about the film. Again, details, not generalizations.
Aside from science even a six year old (outside of the American south anyway) knew was bad, JJ Trek was pretty much on par with the old action oriented Trek movies. Just with more flash.

Trek fans hate everything introduced into Trek until they no longer have a chance to hate it. TNG was reviled when it started and only universally loved when it ended. Trekkies are the original Unpleasable Fanbase.
# 70
02-06-2013, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
What I really disliked was that googly-eyed med tech assisting Kirk Jr. into the world. Hate to base people on their looks but it just reeked of a stupid, stupid, stupid move whoever thought the movie needed googly-eyes.

googly-eyes oh come on, you didn't expect them ALL to be human...?! lol

Rest of the movie played out well enough that I finished watching it but that beginning almost made me stop and go do something else.

The thing that almost made me do the same thing was killing Kirk's father....But then they started killing Spock's mother, etc etc...almost made smash my 36 inch monitor

Oh and those stupid cadet hats. Who the **** thinks up uniforms for these movies? LadyGaga's bra designer?

cadet hats??? where? i don't remember those, any pics?

One thing I noticed and not many have referenced was the use of the tiny Starfleet symbols on the uniforms. Made them almost scaley in appearance and could be interpreted as a nod to CADPAT and MARPAT. Both digital camo patterns are built around a symbol; Maple Leaf for CADPAT and the Globe & Anchor for MARPAT.
yeah......those DID seem kind of weird. Especially when coupled with the red uniforms. But i couldn't place the familiarity...