Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,321
# 11
02-06-2013, 09:22 AM
From what I've picked up on the forums is that stacking armor is much less effective than stacking tac consoles. For what it's worth, my build is used mostly for ESTFs.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 02-06-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,190
# 12
02-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellimie View Post
Now I'm back and I kind of missed out on all the Borg tech that was apparently easier to get than it is now.
It was easier to get in the sense that it's easier to win 10k from a slot machine than it is to get 10k from work. Well, other than the Assimilated Module, which was a mission reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellimie View Post
So should I move the DTS to engineer and go with 2 alloys and add an extra relay or a Quantom Torpedo console? Should I run Monotanium instead?
Never dedicate more than 2 Eng slots to armor. If just 1, then Neutronium. If 2, then Neutronium + Electro-Ceramic if you're getting melted through your shields from Borg Plasma DoTs, Neutronium + Monotanium if you're getting blasted through your shields from torp spreads, or 2 Neutronium for general protection.

Get an extra relay. You're not a torpedo boat, 5/7 of your weapons will benefit from the Phaser Relay and they're used at all times against both shields and hull, while torps are only good against hull.

I don't support your weapon layout though.

If you're going beams, get 6 beam arrays and a Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher so you can have all your weapons firing at your target from your broadsides as you circle your victim. If you're pointing forward, get 3 DHCs and 3 Turrets with a Quantum Torp Launcher so you can fire all your weapons at your victim while you park 3 km away.

There's no real appropriate use for DBBs here that won't be wasting something somewhere. You're either using your DBBs and not your rear arrays, or you're using all your arrays and not your DBB. If you're pointing forward for your DBBs, you're missing out on using DHCs instead.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,190
# 13
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
From what I've picked up on the forums is that stacking armor is much less effective than stacking tac consoles. For what it's worth, my build is used mostly for ESTFs.
That's because there's no diminishing returns from Tac Consoles, while you get diminishing returns from each additional unit of Damage Resistance Magnitude.

Two consoles that give +20% damage will result in +40% damage.
Two consoles that give +20 DRM will result in +40 DRM, but 40 DRM does not give double the Damage Resistance of 20 DRM.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 14
02-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Quick note: Common misconception is that the Borg kill you with energy weapons. Those are the least of your worries. Their major damage dealers are their torps. So even though triple neutronium looks good on paper, you're actually far better off running only two neutroniums and a monotanium. That will take the edge off their initial hit, and you can clear the plasma burn with a HE. In fact, something else to do: if you see a torp incoming, even a regular torp, hit BFI and HE. That way you'll nullify most of the damage and sotp the burn from happening in the first place.

Also avoid HY torps at all costs (kind of a no DUH, but you'd be surprised how often I see people getting hit by those, myself included ). If you can't kill it before it reaches you, you have two choices. 1) Hit EM and get the hell out of dodge, or 2) Charge straight at the cube/tac cube/whatever shot it at you and take the hit and let the splash do the talking for you.

Also another note to both Chimera pilots: if you're doing PvE, there is no reason why you shouldn't be using DHCs and turrets. They're the most efficient way of dealing damage, and most NPCs don't move fast enough/in the right way to get out of your firing arc. As for PvP? We have another sub-forum for that lol.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
# 15
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
All great stuff!

Another question, If I switch to a DHC setup should I still stack the relays or switch to prefire chambers?

The only reason I did beams was so that I could utilize the relay boost with both the beams and the lotus.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
# 16
02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
That's because there's no diminishing returns from Tac Consoles, while you get diminishing returns from each additional unit of Damage Resistance Magnitude.

Two consoles that give +20% damage will result in +40% damage.
Two consoles that give +20 DRM will result in +40 DRM, but 40 DRM does not give double the Damage Resistance of 20 DRM.
Remember that I am building this strictly for fighting Borg. I tend to get killed by the Tractor Beam then Torpedo/Cutting beam raping which is all Kinetic from what I understand.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 17
02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellimie View Post
All great stuff!

Another question, If I switch to a DHC setup should I still stack the relays or switch to prefire chambers?

The only reason I did beams was so that I could utilize the relay boost with both the beams and the lotus.
...
NEVER... under ANY... circumstances... use prefire chambers... if you can avoid it.

As long as all your DHCs and turrets are of the same energy type, just use that energy boosting console. ONLY. As far as you're concerned, prefire chambers DO NOT EXIST.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
# 18
02-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
...
NEVER... under ANY... circumstances... use prefire chambers... if you can avoid it.

As long as all your DHCs and turrets are of the same energy type, just use that energy boosting console. ONLY. As far as you're concerned, prefire chambers DO NOT EXIST.
Haha cool, ok....last question.....mayyyyybeeee

So right now I have

Fore:
1 x QT Mk XI [CrtD]x2 [Dmg]
2 x Phaser DHC Mk XI [CrtD] [Dmg]x2
1 x Phaser Quad HC [Dmg]x4

Aft:
1 x QT Mk XI [CrtD]x2 [Dmg]
2 x Phaser Turret Mk XI [Acc] [Crtd] [Dmg]

Should I dump the aft torpedo and get another turret?

I am running 4 x Phaser Relay Mk XI
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
# 19
02-06-2013, 02:07 PM
then of course leads me into retraining my bridge officers.....i dont' have any configured for cannons......

sooooo, what would you have for a comander tac, and a unverisal ensign and lt cmd to get with the lt engineer and lt sci
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 20
02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellimie View Post
Haha cool, ok....last question.....mayyyyybeeee

So right now I have

Fore:
1 x QT Mk XI [CrtD]x2 [Dmg]
2 x Phaser DHC Mk XI [CrtD] [Dmg]x2
1 x Phaser Quad HC [Dmg]x4

Aft:
1 x QT Mk XI [CrtD]x2 [Dmg]
2 x Phaser Turret Mk XI [Acc] [Crtd] [Dmg]

Should I dump the aft torpedo and get another turret?

I am running 4 x Phaser Relay Mk XI
Depends. How often is your rear pointed at your target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellimie View Post
then of course leads me into retraining my bridge officers.....i dont' have any configured for cannons......

sooooo, what would you have for a comander tac, and a unverisal ensign and lt cmd to get with the lt engineer and lt sci
Just a word of warning, I do not fly a Chimera. However, if you want a BOff layout I would use for that ship I can give you that.

Cmdr Tactical: TT1, CRF1, APB2, APO3
LtCmdr Universal: TT1, CRF1, APO1
Lt Engineering: EPtS1, Aux2SIF1
Lt Science: HE1, TSS2
Ensign Universal: HE1

This will give you a heavily offensively oriented Chimera. You'll sacrifice survivability, but gain damage. For a tankier Chimera though:

Cmdr Tactical: TT1, CRF1, CSV2, APO3
LtCmdr Universal: ET1, Aux2SIF1, EPtS3 (if you can get your hands on it, if not, RSP2)
Lt Engineering: EPtS1, Aux2SIF1
Lt Science: HE1, TSS2
Ensign Universal: TT1

This will increase your survivability at the cost of damage. However you gain another hull heal and a very powerful shield heal/recharge. For a utility Chimera though:

Cmdr Tactical: TT1, CRF1, APB2, APO3
LtCmdr Universal: HE1, ES1, ES2
Lt Engineering: EPtS1, Aux2SIF1
Lt Science: HE1, TSS2
Ensign Universal: TT1

This build will give you an annoying energy siphon to drain your targets and also increase your power levels. However, again you sacrifice damage.

Personally I would just go with the first BOff layout and tear faces off.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 PM.