Captain
# 21
02-06-2013, 03:39 PM
I'd like to see that when it's done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzenarimasen View Post
So you're so obsessed with anime that ou never leaves the house save for to buy food, pay bills,and go to work/school?
As opposed to what, sitting my fat butt in a klingon costume in my mothers basement raging because some button on an engineering panel in some episode of Star Trek is the wrong color?
No I'm not a shut in, I have a life, and with retirement a little more than a decade away I've long since past the point where I need to justify my tastes with anyone.
Sure a lot of anime is garbage, pantie shots and jiggly boob fan service making up for a lack of story, or shows that are nothing more than a marketing device to sell useless plastic crap to spoiled adolescents whose parents have more money than brains. That said there are quite a few anime that are very well done with a level of detail that can't be matched by western efforts and it is those that I'm a fan of.
As for how we got from talking about the uniform to anime, well for me when I see that costume I immediately thought of characters from Rozen Maiden or similar shows and judging from some of the replies I guess I'm not the only one to make an anime connection.
Career Officer
# 22
02-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacfe View Post
Moe isn't inherently bad.
Then why does most modern anime make me violently ill?

I miss when anime had standards of a sort, even if the art of dubbing from those days was severely underdeveloped. Akira, Ninja Scroll, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball/early Dragonball Z, early Gundam (take your pick, really), The Big O... you know, good anime. Crap like Naruto and whatever Haruhi Suzumia clone is popular these days just repulse me.

And I contest your assertion that " beach swimsuit episodes with jiggly breasts" are a bad thing. Used appropriately, fanservice is nothing but good for nearly any series. It was a welcome diversion in Witchblade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
or shows that are nothing more than a marketing device to sell useless plastic crap to spoiled adolescents whose parents have more money than brains.
I wish I could argue this but somewhere between Kuuga and Kiva, Kamen Rider just... tanked. Well, Double was pretty good, but basically everything else post-Decade just reeks of BUY THE TOY.

Last edited by jexsamx; 02-07-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Captain
# 23
02-07-2013, 01:49 AM
The original Kamen Rider comics by Ishinomori are available in English on Comixology. I highly recommend them.

I believe the above mentioned TNG manga isn't the first time Trek was done in that styl. I seem to recall one set in the TOS era back in the 90s
# 24
02-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
The original Kamen Rider comics by Ishinomori are available in English on Comixology. I highly recommend them.
*goes to look*

And Skullman and Kikaider and Cyborg 009 hnnnnngh

If only I had monies...
Ensign
# 25
02-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Sure a lot of anime is garbage, pantie shots and jiggly boob fan service making up for a lack of story, or shows that are nothing more than a marketing device to sell useless plastic crap to spoiled adolescents whose parents have more money than brains. That said there are quite a few anime that are very well done with a level of detail that can't be matched by western efforts and it is those that I'm a fan of.
Yup. There are terrible anime, then there are good anime, like how there are good Hollywood movies, and there are terrible ones. Or TV shows. Or books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Then why does most modern anime make me violently ill?
Because, as I continued explaining, most of the time, moe characters are there for the sake of being moe rather than contributing to anything. Because of poor characterisation. I can argue that mecha can easily ruin a series if not done right. Or pseudoscience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
This is my favorite part of those who claim cruisers do mad DPS.

They never share their build.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Anime would be great if done right. In the past, anime like the Gundam series and the Yomato series has managed to bring audience deep stories almost on the line of past Star Trek series.

First of all, there is no need to think of practical effects and make up. You can have the most epic of space battles and weirdest of aliens.
Since there are no real life people to compare, the special effects and CG doesn't have to be perfect, therefore, not expensive.

If Paramount want to make a new series but save money, than an anime is a good way to do so.

Also, while Star Trek is only mildly popular in Japan (not as popular as Star Wars), there is an audience for it. And anime is not exclusively broadcasted in Japan since many other Asian countries and regions import anime to air as well. That will also make more money.

Lastly, merchandising will be fantastic. Anime based collectables and toys are very detailed and well made compared to American toys of the same caliber. Look at these Bandai models:Enterprise-E!!!, NX-01, and Consitution Refit. Even the windows light up. They are freaking detailed!
Japanese action figures are also much more articulate than the usual American action figures. Here are some examples from Figma: Michael Jackson, Link, Samus, and Miku.

They can get Star Trek to regain a foot hold in Japan and start up a fan base in the continent. With how well the JJ Trek did, they can easily start a new fandom in the region. It just has to done right.

Last edited by archofwinter; 02-16-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Career Officer
# 27
02-16-2013, 01:21 AM
I wonder if Genndy Tartakovsky is a Star Trek fan...?

For the uninitiated, he's the evil mastermind behind such masterpieces as Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls (pre-suck), Sym-Bionic Titan, the good Clone Wars cartoon, and Samurai Jack.

The art style may be a touchy subject, but I have no doubt that this man could craft a Trek animated series worthy to bear the name.

Last edited by jexsamx; 02-16-2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: To add even more ridiculously off-topic content.