Lieutenant
# 11
02-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
I'm going to be that guy.....I would like to point out in that episode they were firing proximity phaser bursts
Roddenberry was interviewed in his later years and that particular episode was brought up. He wanted the dialogue to say torpedoes after some research, but by the time he got to the special effects the dialogue was already filmed and he couldn't change it.
Republic Veteran
# 12
02-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoldt View Post
Roddenberry was interviewed in his later years and that particular episode was brought up. He wanted the dialogue to say torpedoes after some research, but by the time he got to the special effects the dialogue was already filmed and he couldn't change it.
still does not change that they are Phaser bursts
Captain
# 13
02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Kirk meant to say Torpedoes away.

Still look more like Torpedoes vs Phasers, unless they had Phaser cannons on the Enterprise, and didn't tell anyone. HAHA
Empire Veteran
# 14
02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
You know, in the original early TOS episodes they did get the photons torpedoes right in how their explosions look. Sadly that was abandoned later and especially in TNG where they turned into firecrackers instead.

A nuke and M/AM explosion in space is one bright flash of light, there's where the name photon torpedo comes form, then fading rapidly away. Unless close to hull then you have a ton of radiation hitting the hull and rapidly heating it up.

-= ISE: 12:19 -=- CSE 12:41 -=- KASE 11:59 -=- HSe 8:06 total =-
-= KAGE 5:43 =-
[7:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Disruptor Banks - Overload II deals 123086 (41096) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
All good points, BUT..............You still need a targeted eneny to use those right? Just asking. If so then it's not the AOE I am looking for. I want the space shaking BOOM of torpedoes exploding in empty space, and if a cloak ship is there then it will do some damage to them.
Um [Console - Universal - Ionized Gas Sensor] as I said track down cloaked ships, the modified torpedo does not need a target. Thats why I said the console + tricobalt torpedo would make you the big target of all cloaked ships in the area, especially when you're in a fast ship with good sensor rating.
Captain
# 16
02-06-2013, 04:53 PM
alexhurlbut yes I will try that in game, but I am just saying it would be cool to get the torpedo spread with AOE. Just aim in an area and fire a few rounds. But like someone else said, it would need a cool down timer to keep it from being over used.
Career Officer
# 17
02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
still does not change that they are Phaser bursts
Ideed and they kept it as such when they officially remastered it, meaning CBS considers proximity blast phasers a 23rd century piece of tech in canon:

http://youtu.be/IYWl-b6AdjM

My inkling is that this would be a TOS blue colored phaser cannon that does DHC-type damage but at a lower speed and is equippable on all ships.

And equipping it gives you a bonus ability that launches AoE proximity bursts while triggering the weapon cooldown.

In game mechanics terms, the AoE bursts would be like deploying an anomaly.)

The novel thing here is that it would be a weapon that gives you a power console-style power.
Captain
# 18
02-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhurlbut View Post
First. High yield Plasma Torpedo and tricobalt (modified or not) have splash damage.
Second. [Console - Universal - Nadeon Detonator] and *maybe* [Console - Universal - Ionized Gas Sensor] allow one torpedo to do splash damage.
Third. Torpedo Spread bridge officer ability is literately your torpedoes exploding *AROUND* (not impacting *ON*) one or more ships.

I should point out the Ionized Gas Sensor is intended for use against cloak ships (it just love to track one of them down). Combining it with a tricobalt torpedo will make cloaked ships hate you very much.
^^^ This. Kind of crazy that it took 7 posts in to point this stuff out, but hey, there it is.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
So what you really want of to be able fo fire for effect? I.E. Pick some space and start pummeling it with explosives.

I could see this...

Fire for effect

Fires a torpedo barage in your current viewing direction

Cone AOE weapon (causing detonations between you and out to say 5k)
No target required (more effective with a target)
Deals kinetic damage (based on equipped torpedo)

Could be useful, maybe even downright effective with tric's
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Captain
# 20
02-07-2013, 12:37 AM
I actually posted this phaser idea a couple of times in the pvp section. It would be awesome looking, and could be done in many ways. It could be a more focused faw, or a phaser version of torp spread, like a limited angle aoe or burst shot. If they wanted they could give it better singular target damage than beam overload and slot it a place higher on the boff ability ranking scale.

Balance of terror was the first space battle and romulan episode at the same time. This at the very least needs to be a console ability. (MAYBE FOR THAT TIER 5 CONNIE C-STORE RETROFIT EHHHHHH CRYPTIC?)
The Somraw, K'tinga, D'Kyr, D7, Kumari, and T'Varo are all older than the Constitution Refit and yet they are tier 5. The rule needs to change.