Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,148
# 81
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
For my 2 cents. I think JJ jumping ship for Star Wars is probably a better fit. Besides Star Wars has become a bit of a joke. Prequels were just badly written and badly acted for the most part, tv specials, Clone wars, Ewok series, Droid series...

I would see a JJ Star Wars depending on what it was about. The 2 spin offs however I think is the same thing depends on what they choose to do.

Star Trek Into Darkness I will see as I like how this villain is turning out. I was not much of a fan of the 09 film. I would rather see a jump back to the Prime universe after the trilogy is complete.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 224
# 82
02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Don't spread rumors. Facts. All we want are the facts.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 793
# 83
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisedallen89 View Post
For my 2 cents. I think JJ jumping ship for Star Wars is probably a better fit. Besides Star Wars has become a bit of a joke. Prequels were just badly written and badly acted for the most part, tv specials, Clone wars, Ewok series, Droid series...

I would see a JJ Star Wars depending on what it was about. The 2 spin offs however I think is the same thing depends on what they choose to do.

Star Trek Into Darkness I will see as I like how this villain is turning out. I was not much of a fan of the 09 film. I would rather see a jump back to the Prime universe after the trilogy is complete.
wanting to expand his project to a wider audience isn't a bad thing. And bashing him for it isn't fair.
If the Mouse had it from the beginning they would have done the same thing. Only THEIR VERSION would have been completely 'washed' and distilled to the point where even their coreography would have seemed ridiculous.
In all seriousness, if they HAD done that long ago they would have been bashed continually for their tacky and campy attempts at expanding a fantasy world like Star Wars.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 793
# 84
02-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
Starfleet Cadet Hat

Looks Imperial Japanese circa WWII.

Kinda out of place since I never seen Starfleet personnel with headgear before until JJTrek made it sewn.
ah! thank you (I also saw you other post with the stripes. Yeah it does look oddly Japanese. Even colonial (like what the people who would subsequently become know as americans wore, during the civil war - except THOSE hats were even higher and more 'floppy' for lack of a better description).
As for the stripes, I have no idea why they would chose to do something like that. I guess they made these odd changes to further reinforce how this is a stand alone Star Trek film. Because these things would never be used in the prime universe.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 123
# 85
02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I am as big a Trek fan as anyone here. I can name an episode of any of the series within 5 seconds of seeing it run at any point of the show. I am a big backer of canon.

I am not a STO player, however, who wanted to simulate life as an ensign, I do not care to have my character have "relationships" with NPCs or holograms.

I think the 2009 Star Trek is a worthy part of the franchise... as a matter of fact, anything that gets newer, younger blood into Trek is a good thing... and I look forward to JJ's latest and the remaining one after that... even if it merges Star Trek and Star Wars into a single universe

For those die-hard Star Trek fans who, ironically as Star Trek philosophically promotes diversity and open-mindedness (IDIC), can't stomach the JJ films... here is something for you!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,267
# 86
02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillee View Post
I look forward to JJ's latest and the remaining one after that... even if it merges Star Trek and Star Wars into a single universe
I don't think I'd go quite that far ...
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,148
# 87
02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
wanting to expand his project to a wider audience isn't a bad thing. And bashing him for it isn't fair.
If the Mouse had it from the beginning they would have done the same thing. Only THEIR VERSION would have been completely 'washed' and distilled to the point where even their coreography would have seemed ridiculous.
In all seriousness, if they HAD done that long ago they would have been bashed continually for their tacky and campy attempts at expanding a fantasy world like Star Wars.
Not saying that but there is a problem with George Lucas. He wanted to distinguish himself away from Hollywood back in the day. He did succeed but there is something to what he lost he became that thing he was fighting a corporate entity one that thought to expand it not necessarily for the good of the franchise but to earn money. I have been a fan of Star Wars since I was a small kid, but even the Blu Ray release of the older movies changed things for the worse for artistic means. Such as the climax of Vader's story in Return of the Jedi. I could take only so many changes but changing that climax by inserting a crappy line is what ruined the intensity of the film.

Jar Jar Binks?

Ewoks? Originally it was Wookies but changed for children.

Ewok TV special and series if I recall.

Droid series which I can recall on TV (sci fi channel back in the nineties in the early morning)

The thing is for creativity you need people who do tell you no that does not sound like a good idea. George did not have that for the prequels.

Your point about Disney screwing it up if they had it is moot. We have no idea what they are going to do with it. Right now their Marvel works are doing quite well for the most part. With Abrams the screen writer from Toy Story 3 and other pretty good films penning the script. I also read a report that Abrams wanted to do it right and do right to the fans. Which is not a bad thing at all unless it is too much (Looking at you anime industry). Also a bit of new news was that they wanted to make the Star Wars universe more expansive with 2 SPIN OFF Films. Not a rumor but confirmed.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 793
# 88
02-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisedallen89 View Post
Not saying that but there is a problem with George Lucas. He wanted to distinguish himself away from Hollywood back in the day. He did succeed but there is something to what he lost he became that thing he was fighting a corporate entity one that thought to expand it not necessarily for the good of the franchise but to earn money. I have been a fan of Star Wars since I was a small kid, but even the Blu Ray release of the older movies changed things for the worse for artistic means. Such as the climax of Vader's story in Return of the Jedi. I could take only so many changes but changing that climax by inserting a crappy line is what ruined the intensity of the film.

Jar Jar Binks?

Ewoks? Originally it was Wookies but changed for children.

Ewok TV special and series if I recall.

Droid series which I can recall on TV (sci fi channel back in the nineties in the early morning)

The thing is for creativity you need people who do tell you no that does not sound like a good idea. George did not have that for the prequels.
*sigh*.... well without Jar Jar there was absolutely no humor in the films. There's only so many inside jokes that you can make about a Wookie. They needed SOMETHING for comedic relieve. Every project does, because it'll reach a breaking point without that kind of relief.

he didn't? i seriously doubt there was NOBODY that gave him advice...
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 352
# 89
02-06-2013, 08:14 PM
*shrug* I'm fine with JJ's Star Trek movies and I'm happy he's going to make the Star Wars movies.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 289
# 90
02-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
Even colonial (like what the people who would subsequently become know as americans wore, during the civil war - except THOSE hats were even higher and more 'floppy' for lack of a better description).
Was thinking that at one point but the Japanese look was too prominent.

Yeah, the civil war hat was known as the Kepi which originated in the French military.

It is still in use today but is a bit more modern in style and is known as the Battle Dress Uniform, Cap aka Patrol Cap. First time I put one on, I thought it reminded me of the civil war.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09 PM.