Captain
# 11
02-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
That would work fine in a single player game.

In an MMO, where you're expected to work with fellow player captains of equal or greater ability, it breaks immersion.
Still having 5 or 20 Vice Admirals is far better than having thousands of Vice Admirals running around.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan5000 View Post
actually the US Navy is allowed 215 four star Admirals at all times...thats doesn't count the 3, 2, and 1 stars nor the flag ranks of the other branches. Now if we only have 215 for a planet how many does that give us for several planets and quadrants?

also attaining Admiral's rank is lore also. Kirk did it, Bones did it (he's refered to as an Admiral in the pilot of TNG), Janeway
this,is not correct, they are allowed 215 flag officers TOTAL and they're percentage based. Current total 4 star admirals, 9.

Source.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_4...mands_are_they
Career Officer
# 13
02-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Support this harddddd

Admirals should be special! Not a dime a dosen, make every one just captains...

As far as potential "admiral" gameplay, fleet captains exist in lore. Captains in charge of more junior captains and their ships
Captain
# 14
02-07-2013, 05:50 AM
*raises hand in agreement; to lazy & to tired of going into details for the 1000th time*
Rihannsu
# 15
02-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
That would work fine in a single player game.

In an MMO, where you're expected to work with fellow player captains of equal or greater ability, it breaks immersion.
The entirety of the story line in STO is written from the point of view of ONLY ONE CHOSEN PLAYER CHARACTER at any given moment. As far as the story is concerned, no other player character exists. There is only ONE Vice Admiral (or LG or whatever rank) saving the galaxy at any given time.

I sincerely wish that forum posters would finally and firmly grasp this simple easy concept.

You can call STO whatever sort of "game" type that you can wrap your brain around.

But nothing will change the simple fact that STO has massive amounts of multiple players all online together role playing this game.
Captain
# 16
02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
And no matter how often the "nay-sayers" are against the idea of making all players, rightfully CAPTAINS!!!

i'll continue to bring it up in every Ask Cryptic, every Q & A and from time to time, in various threads, until it's finally implemented.
Commander
# 17
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan5000 View Post
<snip>
also attaining Admiral's rank is lore also. Kirk did it, Bones did it (he's refered to as an Admiral in the pilot of TNG), Janeway
And all of those positions were a sort of semi-retirement status for those involved.

Even Kirk, in the first movie (his first showing as an Admiral) is pulled from a desk job to deal with the situation.... and while commanding the Enterprise...sports Captain's stripes - busting Captain Decker to Commander Decker temporarily.

In the following films he is somewhat forced into command or is rogue, and at the end of all of them....is honored by being 'busted' back to the rank of....you guessed it, Captain.
Commander
# 18
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
The entirety of the story line in STO is written from the point of view of ONLY ONE CHOSEN PLAYER CHARACTER at any given moment. As far as the story is concerned, no other player character exists. There is only ONE Vice Admiral (or LG or whatever rank) saving the galaxy at any given time.

I sincerely wish that forum posters would finally and firmly grasp this simple easy concept.

You can call STO whatever sort of "game" type that you can wrap your brain around.

But nothing will change the simple fact that STO has massive amounts of multiple players all online together role playing this game.
The highlighted section is counter to everything you said above it.

You are playing alongside hundreds of other players - you interact with them, you fight along side them, you trade with them, you chat with them, you build starbases together - they exist in the game. To put blinders on and go, "lalalala, I can't hear that you are a Vice Admiral too, because I'm the only Vice Admiral in the game" is ludicrous.

I sincerely wish that forum posters would finally and firmly grasp this simple easy concept....
Captain
# 19
02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newplayerguy7 View Post
The highlighted section is counter to everything you said above it.

You are playing alongside hundreds of other players - you interact with them, you fight along side them, you trade with them, you chat with them, you build starbases together - they exist in the game. To put blinders on and go, "lalalala, I can't hear that you are a Vice Admiral too, because I'm the only Vice Admiral in the game" is ludicrous.

I sincerely wish that forum posters would finally and firmly grasp this simple easy concept....
If everyone does the same mission content, then having thousands of Vice Admirals does not make sense. Actually any rank doesn't make sense since rank is based on accomplishment. There is no meaning to accomplishment if everyone does the same content. In order to have any sense in this game, then each person would have to do unique mission content and unique tutorials to go up the ranks. So what is more likely, someone does a mission like rescuing the Azura and a second later it sends its distress signal so it keeps on being attacked and rescued for all eternity or one person rescues the Azura? Also, how do you know that all the people you team up with are Vice Admirals? They could all be Captains as far as your character is concerned and you are commanding them on a dangerous mission.

In simplest terms, the main character is the 25th Century version of Kirk. We get command of a ship in a scenario where all the senior personnel of the ship are killed. Everything interesting happens to us. It seems impossible for us to die. No matter what situation we get into, we survive. There can only be one chosen one.

As far as my main character is concerned, she is the only Vice Admiral that goes around saving the galaxy since she is the best person at the job. Being stuck behind a desk is a huge waste of her talents and being stuck as Captain wouldn't allow her to make orders that best reflect the current situation. While it is currently accepted in the 21st Century that Admirals stay behind the desk, not all races follow that logic and even some great military leaders commanded their troops from the front not behind.

If people want to stay a Captain, then all that is needed is a rank indicator so npcs will recognize them as Captains not Vice Admirals. However, getting rid of the current rank system or having the max rank at Captain takes something away from the game and it will make some players mad since my character worked to get to Vice Admiral.
Captain
# 20
02-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuui13 View Post
this,is not correct, they are allowed 215 flag officers TOTAL and they're percentage based. Current total 4 star admirals, 9.

Source.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_4...mands_are_they
so one branch of military in one country on one planet has 215 flag officers...how many do you think a planet would have if the militaries joined up....or a galaxy...or a quadrant?