Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
02-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
03. Wesley Crusher dies.
Say what? When did that happen? I missed it?

I hope it was more meaningless than Tasha Yar's death.

Seriously, though, I thought he just got spirited away by space Indians (not sure if that's the politically correct term to use, but "space native americans" just sounded silly).
Captain
# 32
02-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
Say what? When did that happen? I missed it?

I hope it was more meaningless than Tasha Yar's death.

Seriously, though, I thought he just got spirited away by space Indians (not sure if that's the politically correct term to use, but "space native americans" just sounded silly).
During Q's game against the musket-wielding pig-faced aliens. Sadly it wasn't permanent.
All cloaks should be canon.
Captain
# 33
02-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Not as far as I heard, he came back for Troi and Riker's wedding and went on to be an engineer on the Titan.
Career Officer
# 34
02-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
They both have their place. Star Trek for hard sci-fi, Star Wars for soft sci-fi and epic sagas.

Now can someone please fix my lightsaber bat'tleh so I can hack Borg drones in glorious neon colored light?
HAHAHAHAHZHAHZHZHZHAHAHA

trek hard sci-fi? Trek is like i dunnonew play doh wkwkwkw...that said Wars is practically liquid water lol

Im a huge trek fan, but cmonman...its not even plastic hard.
Career Officer
# 35
02-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerashari View Post
HAHAHAHAHZHAHZHZHZHAHAHA

trek hard sci-fi? Trek is like i dunnonew play doh wkwkwkw...that said Wars is practically liquid water lol

Im a huge trek fan, but cmonman...its not even plastic hard.
Well Kirk and Spock used flip phones and TNG and DS9 used Ipads. Yes there were some crazy made up things but most of the things were at least plausible given enough advancement. No, it wasn't Issac Asimov style diamond hard sci-fi, but most things were at least partially based in reality.

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 36
02-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
I prefer Star Trek for the most part because it is more scientically accurate or plausible, anyway. My loyalties switched to Star Wars for a while while the prequels were coming out, though.

They both have their place. Star Trek for hard sci-fi, Star Wars for soft sci-fi and epic sagas.

Now can someone please fix my lightsaber bat'tleh so I can hack Borg drones in glorious neon colored light?
What he said, they both have advantages and disadvantages. Remember they are both science fiction but star trek is tailored more to science of the real world and hypothetical theories which could be true or false and technical speak.

Star Wars more of drama and fantasy. I love both of them.

Last edited by raj011; 02-07-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Captain
# 37
02-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
01. The Enterprise doesn't have that Governor Tarkin smell.

I'll give you that one.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Captain
# 38
02-07-2013, 12:06 PM
I like both, but here are my reasons why I lean toward Star Trek (in my own humble opinion)

10) Aesthetics

I just like the design and style of ST more than I do SW, given the choice I'd choose a BoP over the Millennium Falcon or the Enterprise over a Star Destroyer any day of the week. Same for uniforms and ground level styles.

9) Plot variety

ST has episodic content that features first contacts, discovery, exploration or even just day to day events on a starship. SW only seems to revolve around the whole Jedi vs Sith/Empire vs Rebellion thing.

8) Not black and white

SW is pretty much bad guys VS good guys. In ST however it isn't always as clear cut, most times it is a grey area with no clear right answers or course of action.

7) Technology

As well as liking the look of ST, I also prefer the way it functions. Transporters, Warp-drives and viewing screens are more appealing to me even if they aren't as powerful as SW equivalents. I also like that it is inspired by current technology and scientific understandings (even if the rules are bent, broken or laughed at)

6) Realism

I like that it is in our universe and potentially a good portrayal of our own future rather than in some magical land far, far away. I also like that they avoid magic and laser swords, though one could argue that psychic abilities are as good as.

5) Better re-make(s)

Controversial one here, but based on it's own merits I really did enjoy JJ's Star Trek far more than I did the first 2 SW prequels. I'm not that convinced with the new JJ film based on what I have seen, but I can?t really compare it to Episode 3 until I see it (which is the best prequel of the bunch).

4) Respect for IP

Another questionable opinion I grant you, but to my knowlege the worst thing to happen to ST is a series or a film that didn't quite match the expectations of some particular fans but it is still somewhat ST. Meanwhile Lucas has been all too happy to abuse SW to earn an extra buck.

3) Iconic characters

On the one hand we have Darth Vader, Yoda, Han Solo, Chewie and countless others. On the other we have Spock, Kirk, Bones, Picard, Q, Sisko, Quark and many more. Sorry Yoda, I have to go with Spock on this one.

2) Villains

I love so many of the villains in ST. Captain Kruge, General Chang, KHAN!!!

But the Borg are my most favourite sci-fi villains. They learn, they adapt and they assimilate. I'm sorry but they would wipe the floor with anything SW could cook up as resistance.

1) No irritating characters

Can you tell me, here and now, that Wesley Crusher is more annoying than Jar Jar Binks or C3PO? Crusher is bad, but he doesn't lead me to claw my own eyes out.

Last edited by coupaholic; 02-07-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Commander
# 39
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Star Trek?

Star Wars?

Space:1999
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Captain
# 40
02-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post
But the Borg are my most favourite sci-fi villains. They learn, they adapt and they assimilate. I'm sorry but they would wipe the floor with anything SW could cook up as resistance.
Death Star.
It kinda invalidates any arguments about the Borg.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.