Starfleet Veteran
# 71
02-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
I've been wondering why MACO uniforms look like they've been worn while painting bulkheads. Do the fashion police not exist in the 22nd century? Or are the MACOs just trying to beat out the Romulans in the "Ugliest Uniform of the Year" awards?

Ref pic (with Orion slave girl for good measure): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...oslavegirl.jpg
All clothes look ugly when positioned next to a scantily-clad Orion hottie.

Also, clearly the MACO camo is designed for blending in with the styrofoam rocks in TOS. They're thinking ahead!

Raptr profile
Career Officer
# 72
02-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
When viewed from space, Qo'nos is entirely green. Green continents, green oceans, no apparent bare spots, or polar caps.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...remastered.jpg

However, there is a distinct lack of foliage (green) in any of the shots of the ground of Qo'nos that I have ever seen.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...urface2151.jpg

http://www.klingonmusic.net/wp-conte...2/04/QonoS.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...nos_brennt.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Unexpected.jpg

It's the atmosphere that gives the planet its color (The Klingons really went green a milennia ago.)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Rihannsu
# 73
02-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
Heres one that has bugged me for awhile. Seriously, even as a kid in the 70's it bugged me on the Original series....

I believe the episode was the "Squire of Gothos" but I could be wrong about that....but I do know that at the end Captain Kirk was talking about the pranks kids play to Spock. He mentioned things that he did as a kid and I suppose assumed SPock might have done like "Dipping little girls pigtails in inkwells".

Ummmm...ok, Kirk lives in the 23rd century right? Its 2013 right now...when was the last time you saw a freakin' inkwell? I was born in 1964 and I didn't see an inkwell ONCE in my own childhood. As a matter of fact I've only met a handful of people that know what a dip pen looks like and they (like myself) only know because we use them for pen and ink cartooning.

Even as a kid I was like "How the heck would Kirk know anything about a prank that was probably popular by children before my grandfather's time?"
Maybe it's used for art in Kirk's time and not writing? Art classes still use stuff like that.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 74
02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Maybe it's used for art in Kirk's time and not writing? Art classes still use stuff like that.
I always considered pop culture references, in any body of work, to be a sign of weak writing.

Like audiences need that *wink* *wink* archaic tongue in cheek referencing.

Kirk: " She's built like a brick-**** house, Spock!"

Spock: " WTF, Jim? Derp."
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Lt. Commander
# 75
02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
I always considered pop culture references, in any body of work, to be a sign of weak writing.

Like audiences need that *wink* *wink* archaic tongue in cheek referencing.

Kirk: " She's built like a brick-**** house, Spock!"

Spock: " WTF, Jim? Derp."
I've done it with shows and movies that I like, but I've found it a bit of weak writing or ill thought out dialogue/plots if you, the audience have to come up with a long shot reason for something that doesn't make sense.

I'm not picking on you markhawkman, just pointing out that the particular line, while I find it amusing, really doesn't make a lot of sense in the shows context. Sure, perhaps Kirk took some art classes as kid, but the real reason the line was there is because of when the show was wrtten. The writer probably went to grammar school...when they still called it grammar school....30 or 4o years prior.

I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way. I grew up watching Trek, I only mention these things because of the years of enjoyment its given me. Besides, despite the way the line doesn't fit well in show's context, I've always loved the banter between Kirk and Spock.
Ensign
# 76
02-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
Heres one that has bugged me for awhile. Seriously, even as a kid in the 70's it bugged me on the Original series....

I believe the episode was the "Squire of Gothos" but I could be wrong about that....but I do know that at the end Captain Kirk was talking about the pranks kids play to Spock. He mentioned things that he did as a kid and I suppose assumed SPock might have done like "Dipping little girls pigtails in inkwells".

Ummmm...ok, Kirk lives in the 23rd century right? Its 2013 right now...when was the last time you saw a freakin' inkwell? I was born in 1964 and I didn't see an inkwell ONCE in my own childhood. As a matter of fact I've only met a handful of people that know what a dip pen looks like and they (like myself) only know because we use them for pen and ink cartooning.

Even as a kid I was like "How the heck would Kirk know anything about a prank that was probably popular by children before my grandfather's time?"
They (eventually) established that he was quite the antiquarian. Archaic phrases fit that part of his character.
Captain
# 77
02-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Quote:
They're elitists who want to rule the universe. Their attempts to conquer the Feds have failed so far. Aside from their disliek of their Vulcan cousins they don't really hate the feds... They don't like them either, so they're kinda indifferent.
Yeah my understanding is they are/ were garden variety fascists.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 78
02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
I guess they were always threatening the engineers on DS9 with waste extraction duty.

Speaking of waste "extraction"... OUCH!!
Then there was an episode of Enterprise where they trudge through a sewer and complain that sewage takes on a whole new meaning when it comes from many different species...
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Ensign
# 79
02-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Not embarrassing questions so much as quibbles (they look like tribbles, but their purring is slightly off-key, so it's irritating rather than soothing):

When I beam up from an away mission, why does the rest of my away team touch their badges, too? Shouldn't they be using the passive transport animation?

Why does it ask us if we want to orbit K7 in Sector Space, then ask us if we want to dock at K7 when we're in the system? Is this the only starbase that would use that different phrasing, and thus not worth the effort?

When I beam up from Starfleet Academy, I have the choice of going to Earthdock, Sol Sector, or the Orion Quadrant. Why don't I have the same choice when I'm leaving Earthdock? Can't the same menu be patched into the Earthdock code?
Lt. Commander
# 80
02-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
This kind of stretches to planets as well.

Humans - Earth yet;

Cardassians - Cardassia
Vulcans - Vulcan
Romulan - Romulus
Bajorans - Bajor
Trills - Trill

The list goes on.

The only one that really breaks the mold is Qo'nos and even then they were originally going to name it Kling, but felt it sounded stupid.
In Trek Humans are Terrans from Terra