Career Officer
# 1 AI salution
02-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I've thought about this for some time now.

This game has always focused on more DPS and HP for more difficult NPCs. The newer enemies are better ( they have more moves), but they are still dumb.

Solution: player made bots.

I know. Bots have become a bad word for good reasons. However, if the game was set up to where players could turn in a "if this happens, than do this" list of actions that the game could use then the AI will improve drastically. Here's a better example of what I'm talking about:

Let's say I'm in a Klingon Bird of Prey and I want to send Cryptic a bot for that ship.

Disruptors are the traditional weapon of the KDF, so that wouldn't change.

* I would tell the bot (if I could) to use dual heavy cannons in the front.

* I would tell it to use an attack buff.

* After a given number of hits, I would tell the bot to cloak for 4 to 6 seconds and then de-cloak.

* If jamming was used, then use science team

* If one shield facing is low, then rotate shields or use tactical team

* If the hull is at 50%, use evasive maneuvers

* Maybe I'd like this bot to hold the enemy, so I'll tell it to use tractor beam

etc.

In order to prevent overpowering players, the number of actions per ship or avatar would be limited and slowed.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Perhaps competitions could be held for the best performing bot for each faction's ship type. Cryptic could then use the top ten.

Last edited by barimanforums; 02-07-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Dragon age 1 had a similar system for your lackeys.

If they ever let us bring starship lackeys along this could be used as well..

A simple If, and, then engine.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Captain
# 3
02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Coming Soon from the STO wiki

Season 9, slated as Late 2013

Ability to command a task force of other starships captained by your bridge officers
Constant exposure to the same opinions leads to continual reinforcement of ideas until eventually, any challenge, no matter what form it takes, is going to be met with a disproportionate sense of outrage. Room for reasoned discussion can no longer occur.

Rihannsu
# 4
02-09-2013, 10:41 AM
I would hope having your boffs in your other ships would give you an "FFXII Gambit"-style system to code your own AI. If they do this, and let us get used to it, then hell yes let's apply some player-made gambits to endgame AIs.
Captain
# 5
02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes we can hold events where our pre-programmed bots battle it out to decide which is better. Oh and maybe we could attach circular saws and stuff, we can even call it bot wars!!

On a less silly note the system in Dragon Age: Origins wasn't ferpect but it did work very nice for filling most roles and required little human intervention when set up right. We would however could do with a place for testing the AI to work out any kinks in our rules.