Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 11
02-06-2013, 05:44 PM
It's also worth mentioning that if you have general game design or game design philosophy questions, GoatShark would love to answer them too

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Empire Veteran
# 12
02-06-2013, 07:17 PM
All I got to suggest is I would like to see the game changed from instead of you pressing F or some button over and over and over again in between little segments of actual game play that to get the immersion out of the Star Trek feeling which lured most of us here to exist when we play this game.

As far as things I could fathom seeing in the game but do not is one I would like to see the content of iconic ships like the intrepid class(10 second armor ), multi vector (The binding of the elmers glue detaches 2 pieces of paper to be burned to a crisp), defiant (I'm a strong advocate of the KDF having their uniqueness but the way cloaking devices work and the immersion of the franchise this ship is deserving of a battle cloak maybe with more strings attached but it needs more love in its canon aspect), and b'rel (I cannot find photons anywhere that can do what changs were doing) function more like we knew them to be even if they only appeared in the series for 10 seconds or more.

Another aspect on the way missions are designed, written, or portray events... I see many elements of the Federation and Klingon Empire but usually its a small element of the federation and then copied and pasted with KDF sticker slapped to the side of it. To me its not just fed or kdf its all about how an event can unfold and the role the character takes in it. So as a new captain in the federation, a section 31 agent, possibly a new maquis, a klingon general, a renegade of the KDF, etc. My suggestion on that is give players options on how it unfolds in retrospect tho the conclusions to them would be near the same imo but it would make for a more like Star Trek game than what we have been getting.

I hope I didn't offend anyone on that I just wanted to see what if anything I don't know can be told and try to get some suggestions thrown out there to try to make this a better game for everyone... Well almost everyone
Ensign
# 13
02-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
My question for GoatShark is: why did you go with GoatShark and not SharkGoat? I think a goat with a shark head, fin, etc. would be EPIC!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
LOL Brandon ...

but to everyone else some really great questions, keep it up!
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-06-2013, 08:17 PM
What I'd like to know is:

What are the technical limitations Cryptic writers have to take into account when writing and designing new content? For example, players using the Foundry need to keep in mind the number of elements (NPCs, objects, etc) on their maps, and that dialogue options can ultimately only lead to mission success or mission failure, preventing us from making multi-pathed missions. Obviously, official missions are not constrained in the same way, but some game mechanics must still be taken into consideration. What are they, and how do they impact your stories?
Empire Veteran
# 15
02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Any plans on truely challenging content? Currently the only difficult instance is the no-win scenario. Do you plan to introduce similar missions in the future? I would love a ground version of the no win scenario.
Captain
# 16
02-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
What I'd like to know is:

What are the technical limitations Cryptic writers have to take into account when writing and designing new content? For example, players using the Foundry need to keep in mind the number of elements (NPCs, objects, etc) on their maps, and that dialogue options can ultimately only lead to mission success or mission failure, preventing us from making multi-pathed missions. Obviously, official missions are not constrained in the same way, but some game mechanics must still be taken into consideration. What are they, and how do they impact your stories?
This is a fascinating question. I, too, would love to hear an answer on this one, and any tips that Cryptic's writers might have for Foundry authors given the limitations that the Foundry has.
Captain
# 17
02-08-2013, 01:34 AM
- There have been many requests for "functionality" in Starbase Upgrade Project's -- which I believe translates to player interaction with an upgrade (kicking Tribbles for example) .
What is Cryptic's response to this request ?
Also , are you taking requests as far as Starbase upgrades go , or is it a done deal ?

- Is it possible to add a personalized "off" switch (like we have for the "winter hologram") to the "historical uniforms/mannequin's" that some feel gave our starbases main hall the look of a shopping mall ?
(also , can the effects of these switches be made permanent ?)

- "Hazard's" and "strange objects" were always a part of the Star Trek myhos -- and in STO it is fun to navigate around hazards -- but there are much too few in game (I can count two space hazards at the moment , and they are the same hazard -- explosive gas) .
Are there plans to make missions that feature more dynamic environment's (space and ground) ?
The Gekli Feeding Grounds map or example featured a terrific fun & challenging space map to navigate .

- Where is the PVP revamp standing as of now ?
Still in the conceptual stages ? Is there a rough working model ? Where is it heading to ? What are the concepts Cryptic is entertaining in regards to a future PVP revamp ?

- Do un-edited Master Files of the original STF's exist ?
Can they be put in-game , in addition to the existing STF's ?
(I'm not looking for a grand prize , just for a chance to spend more than 10-15 minutes in a complicated , changing and challenging environment with friends)

- While there has been new gameplay added through out Seasons 6-7 , the majority of it has been a repetitive game play that was designed to feed "the grind" .
Two seasons back-to-back of such game play have taken a toll , and some feel that this is all that's STO has left to offer ... with the occasional episode being thrown out once or twice a year .
What can you tell us to reassure us that the grind will be just a part of the endgame STO experience , instead of the vast majority of it ?

- STO AI has always been a hit and miss , but has seen improvement . Where and how do you see it improving more ?

- DStahl mentioned that once you raise the level cap , there is an interest in allowing the players to make use of their existing Starships that they own .
This is a departure from what we know as STO today and I was wondering how do you see such an idea being implemented ?
Are you thinking of having those ships as "combat pets" in space ? Are you thinking of sending them "off screen" to do missions like the Doff system ? Something else perhaps ?

- Speaking of the Doff system , that system has seen little upgrade since it's introduction .
Some claim that it's simply been co-opted for the Starbase/embassy/reputation systems instead .
Are there any future plans for the Doff system that actually involve Doffs ?
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .

Last edited by aelfwin1; 02-08-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Lieutenant
# 18
02-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Awesome questions so far. Keep them coming in. 2 days left to submit.
Captain
# 19
02-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Some of these are probably going to stray outside GoatShark's pervue, so apologies in advance. In no particular order...

1) Carrier Pets: when are they going to get their brains back?

2) Weapon drain mechanics: It's become fairly clear that most of the weapons in-game (with the notable exception of DHCs) suffer from being incredibly power inefficient, to the point that they drastically underperform. Multiple avenues have been suggested to potentially deal with this issue, are any of them being considered and/or implemented?

3+4) Starbases (two parter): With so much being locked behind high-tier starbase projects, players who are not members of mega-fleets are effectively locked out from quite a lot in terms of equipment. What, if anything, is being done to either re-shape the starbase grind into something that small fleets have a chance of completing this decade, or to make the ships and items locked behind T4 and T5 projects accessible to outside individuals (such as with some sort of dedicated Fleet Vendor that players outside of a given fleet can make use of, perhaps even allowing for fleets to create a secure, legitimate marketplace to sell items from their Starbases to non-members)

5) Story Content: Seasons 6 and 7 were incredibly sparse in terms of story content. New Romulus was a step in the right direction, but gating the entirety of the planet's story arc behind the romulan reputation grind has prevented many players from experiencing the entire arc. Do you plan on making that storyline fully accessable to players who have not managed, for whatever reasons, to complete the reputation grind? Will you be locking future storylines away behind other resource sink grinds?
Captain
# 20
02-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
New Romulus was a step in the right direction, but gating the entirety of the planet's story arc behind the romulan reputation grind has prevented many players from experiencing the entire arc. Do you plan on making that storyline fully accessable to players who have not managed, for whatever reasons, to complete the reputation grind? Will you be locking future storylines away behind other resource sink grinds?
I would like to know this as well. The only reason I've been going through the Reputation System is to access the little missions attached to each tier. Only the Romulan Reputation, by the way -- I haven't touched Omega because there's no story involved.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q