Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,736
# 121
02-07-2013, 05:38 PM
The novels have strayed too far from STO for there to be any common ground. Voyager went back to the Delta Quadrant with a fleet, the Borg have been completely removed from our galaxy, and the Typhon Pact is a counter to the Federation. I figure there are 3 universes as far as Star Trek is concerned since I don't consider the JJ universe to be part of Star Trek. There is the novel universe, Star Trek Online universe, and the TV show universe that we know nothing about until someone decides to create a movie or TV show after Romulus was destroyed.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
# 122
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
The novels are not canon. So STO doesn't need to follow them.

That said, STO isn't canon either ...
Actually since CBS says it's canon it is sooooo.......
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,032
# 123
02-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
Actually since CBS says it's canon it is sooooo.......
Really? Where did you here that?
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
# 124
02-07-2013, 06:35 PM
*hear....sorry bit of a grammar Nazi. On the forums here actually, back when I first started playing in January 2012 there was a big debate thread about that.....well okay not that big it only lasted a few pages before someone posted a link to the information regarding what is considered canon and what is not. Check the archives for last January and it should be in there.

Again sorry for the whole grammar thing but my son just started school and I am kind of in overdrive in those areas.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,032
# 125
02-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
*hear....sorry bit of a grammar Nazi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
Again sorry for the whole grammar thing but my son just started school and I am kind of in overdrive in those areas.
I'm kind of like that too. Not sure how that typo happened ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
On the forums here actually, back when I first started playing in January 2012 there was a big debate thread about that.....well okay not that big it only lasted a few pages before someone posted a link to the information regarding what is considered canon and what is not. Check the archives for last January and it should be in there.
I couldn't seem to find it. Do you remember the name of the thread? Or at least the section of the forums it was in?

According to Memory Alpha, only the five live-action series and the eleven (soon to be twelve) movies are considered official canon. STO and other games/novels are licensed canon, meaning they need CBS's approval before they're released, but live-action productions take priority.

In other words, STO can only be considered canon until a new series or movie contradicts it.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 126
02-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Quote:
*hear....sorry bit of a grammar Nazi
It it helps: I'm far from one and the writing skills shown on the forums by players who aren't ESL make me cringe far too often.
_________________
Nebula coffee is the best coffee
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,241
# 127
02-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
The IP is about to get popular again.
You mean Star Trek Into Darkness?

The JJ Abrams movie?


There are some problems with pinning any hopes to that.

1- The playerbase here loves to bash the movies. And Abrams. Lots of Abrams bashing.
2- CBS does not own the movie rights. Paramount does. This is very important because ...
3- Cryptic can't do anything with the movie stufff. Nor have they been able to negotiate any licensing with the movie stuff.
4- CBS took great strides to keep their licensing stuff very strict with Cryptic and keep the movie/paramount's licensing far away from this game.

Remember the last movie came out while this game was getting close to launch. And did next to nothing to help boost this game directly. It was all indirect because yeah, they both have the name Star Trek involved in the title. And yes, that will have an effect this time too. But that's it. There's nothing that can directly link the game and the movie.

Paramount. Everyone forgets about Paramount.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,032
# 128
02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
There's nothing that can directly link the game and the movie.
Doesn't the destruction of Romulus count?

And I think user839020189287 meant was that the Abrams movies would create more Trek fans, who would then get interested in the prime Trek productions. I see it happen on ST.com all the time.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 289
# 129
02-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
You mean Star Trek Into Darkness?

The JJ Abrams movie?


There are some problems with pinning any hopes to that.

1- The playerbase here loves to bash the movies. And Abrams. Lots of Abrams bashing.
2- CBS does not own the movie rights. Paramount does. This is very important because ...
3- Cryptic can't do anything with the movie stufff. Nor have they been able to negotiate any licensing with the movie stuff.
4- CBS took great strides to keep their licensing stuff very strict with Cryptic and keep the movie/paramount's licensing far away from this game.

Remember the last movie came out while this game was getting close to launch. And did next to nothing to help boost this game directly. It was all indirect because yeah, they both have the name Star Trek involved in the title. And yes, that will have an effect this time too. But that's it. There's nothing that can directly link the game and the movie.

Paramount. Everyone forgets about Paramount.
You post but don't read the forums? There have been posters who came to STO due to JJTrek, myself included.

Irregardless of JJ making the movie, it will draw new blood here even if you disagree. Movie launches and MMOs based on the same IP work. Synergy. Usually timed to work together.

1. JJ bashing will not stop new people from checking out the free 2 play game.

2. Yes, CBS owns the rights and that has no bearing on the point I made about new people checking out the free 2 play game.

3. Explain the red matter console which was in JJTrek and why was it a pre-order item for STO. Why was JJSpock doing VO work in STO? Naw, the movie stuff doesn't make it into STO like you said.

4. CBS is very specific what makes it into the game, We all know this and DStahl says it all the time. Like this is new to anyone reading this? Unless they are new to the free 2 play game... of which I am not.

The last movie which was named Star Trek? See #3.

Paramount owns the movie rights but not the IP rights. Again, a known fact by all, including myself.

I still stand by the quoted comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
The IP is about to get popular again.
This IP is about to get popular again as many people will go see the movie. Cryptic is advertising STO on MMORPG.com and the main Star Trek website. Movie goers can and will connect the dots. Would be smart to drop a promo for the game during the movie's run. Adverts, stuff like that.

There is no way Cryptic is gonna sit quiet and say nothing to promote STO while the new Star Trek movie launches and puts the limelight on the IP as a whole.

Guess you just like to argue or something.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 961
# 130
02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
This IP is about to get popular again as many people will go see the movie.
Subjective. As someone who has been a "Star Trek" fan for thirty years, I have seen many games fail regardless of a movie release. Second, "Star Trek: Into Darkness" already has a direct tie-in game, which is scheduled to be released in the first quarter. April 23, 2013.

Last edited by linyive; 02-08-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 PM.