Lieutenant
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
# 311
02-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
No one complained about the Tribbles in the first party popper
The tribbles disappear. The balloons do not (except the rare one that goes poof). You cannot spam tribbles all over the place non-stop, because the popper does not produce tribbles non-stop, either.
The balloon one does nothing but shoot balloons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
so why all the hate for balloons? Is it because your computer is lagging? Then you don't have a fast computer
Corei7-2600k, GTX580 1.5GB, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD HD.
Tell me it's not fast. Go on.

Your PC will crawl to a halt also when some dufus spams THE ENTIRE EXCHANGE SECTION on ESD with balloons to a point that you can't see ANYTHING other than balloons throughout and the frame rate drops to single digits that it becomes hard to even move your god-damn mouse cursor to change instance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by asardetemplari View Post
Then look no further than this solution!

Go to Options ---> Video
Scroll down to Max Physics Debris Objects
Slide the slider all the way to the left and BOOM!
No more balloons reducing your framerate to the equivalent of Tribble droppings.
---Commander Hriinta
Now that's an actual good idea.
Debris/decal physics serve little to no purpose, anyway. They all disappear about four seconds after they emerge (except those silly balloons), like the big generator's blow-out parts in CSE.
At best you get some little fun soccer-kicking them around until they become translucent and poof onto the ether.

___________________________
Joined April 2008. Lifetime Subscriber. Original member of the original 2nd Fleet.
Expended $1,961 USD on this game - regretting it all. This game and some of its staff disappointed me, time and again, per every single cent spent!!!

Last edited by oriklein; 02-08-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,127
# 312
02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyama317 View Post
I don't know if its been mentioned here yet, but if you go into video options and find the setting for "Max Physical Debris" and set it to 0 you can remove all the balloons, and won't experience any lag from them.

I found 10 worked for me. It defaults to 100.
Like the man said..... It's EASY and it has a minimal effect on the rest of the game....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,181
# 313
02-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
Good feedback blevok. marshalericdavid we are just going around in circles at this point. I disagree with your stance on the need to turn down graphics if the demand is too high for your PC.

I'd like to add, this game will never evolve graphically, if when new features are added people complain they have to turn down graphics settings because their current performance goes down. What hope do we have for this game evolving in that sense. It's the same principal. I've heard the flamethrower was removed because of this reason. So there's a real-world thing we don't have in-game now, because people don't understand how new things can decrease performance, and thus they have to lower settings. But this is the game evolving, and we want to see it evolve. I fear if Cryptic panders to these individuals, this game will never evolve. And I want it to. WoW got DX11 support after a time. I fear STO may be stagnant because people don't understand how PC games, and MMO's in general, evolve and new graphics demand new performance.
I have no problem with the game improving graphically and I want it to but why is it that those balloons cause problems but nothing else does? Also even if their was no lagging issue at all it is the balloons filling rooms making it hard to see as you move around that is the biggest problem at least for me.

If the graphics do improve making me have to change settings I will do it and won't complain at all. I have done so in the past with other games no problem. I just don't want to change the settings when only one thing causes a problem and it comes from jerks doing it to annoy people knowing it will annoy people.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,127
# 314
02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
I have no problem with the game improving graphically and I want it to but why is it that those balloons cause problems but nothing else does? Also even if their was no lagging issue at all it is the balloons filling rooms making it hard to see as you move around that is the biggest problem at least for me.

If the graphics do improve making me have to change settings I will do it and won't complain at all. I have done so in the past with other games no problem. I just don't want to change the settings when only one thing causes a problem and it comes from jerks doing it to annoy people knowing it will annoy people.
I play with balloons because it's fun. I don't give a crap whether it annoys you or not.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 584
# 315
02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
I have no problem with the game improving graphically and I want it to but why is it that those balloons cause problems but nothing else does? Also even if their was no lagging issue at all it is the balloons filling rooms making it hard to see as you move around that is the biggest problem at least for me.

If the graphics do improve making me have to change settings I will do it and won't complain at all. I have done so in the past with other games no problem. I just don't want to change the settings when only one thing causes a problem and it comes from jerks doing it to annoy people knowing it will annoy people.
Your point is heard, and understood. I can certainly see your point of view, and agree with certain parts of it. I'm not sure why the balloons are causing lag for some people, but not others. I do believe people should be allowed to have fun with the items the developers provide in-game. This is a game, and meant for entertainment purposes. Thanks for debating this issue civilly with me.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 AM.