Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiya222
My only question is why anyone hasn't invented a better system than this.

I've downloaded everything from Wow, EQ2, Eve Online, Lotro, Wizard 101, ****, Conan... and this is by far the WORST downloading experience I have EVER had. Shame on stupid Cryptic for not planning this better.

Did 23 hours... played for an hour, got booted, got the 10GB patch bug.. have been trying to redownload ALL DAY... what a waste of time.
i dont know about you but lord of the rings online took me 3 days to download. now thats what i call a terrible download rate.

and as for people raveing on about bit torrent, lol what a load of crap.. every one has their download set to max and upload set to minimum thinking they will download the game faster because they are under the impression the more badnwidth they have there end of the line the faster it will come down..

useing bit torrent is easy people.. just set your upload to 1000 and your download to say about 500 and watch it fly down. at present on bittorrent every one is being a greedy ass that doesnt understand how to use the system.. they all getting like 57kb down and 4.5 up lol come on guys work it out, your useing it wrong. 57k down should be more like 500k down if you set it right even 300 down would mean a 2 hour down load maybe not even that.

at present its telling me 18 hours. which is sad for a torrent.
Lt. Commander
# 12 torrent and free to play
01-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I know this may be a thread necro, but the download is driving me up the wall.
I was wondering whether this torrent works for the free to play version as I tried dling from cryptic and have a 20kb/s dl speed. The torrent is closer to 200kb/s but is twice the size and I don't want to dl something i then can't use. Any help would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 13 hrmm
01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
to the lad trying to help the person above once you have as many will choose direct download
it overrides your ability to make the choice again, what you should do is uncookify that section or make it LOAD anew ...only way i know is to remove any cookies htis site drops so preferences cant get held by a browser and 25K/sec direct download = far to slow
Ensign
# 14 PO'd torrent user
02-08-2013, 07:28 PM
oh get this

1. after you finish the download using the official http://sto.perfectworld.com/download/torrent .torrent
2. run the setup.exe found in your completed torrent files
3. delete the 'Star Trek Online.exe' present in the installation directory
4. obtain a new copy of 'Star Trek Online.exe' to replace the one you just deleted; because the launcher provided in the installation will not work. [ http://files.startrekonline.com/laun...k%20Online.exe <-- found the link from a sticky in 'PC & Technical Issues' section]
5. Login to your account through the client
6. DOWNLOAD all 3gigabtyes that you had previously torrented, all over again.

I thought torrents existed to save bandwidth NOT force users to download the same files TWICE!
Ensign
# 15
02-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipheragentnine View Post
oh get this

1. after you finish the download using the official http://sto.perfectworld.com/download/torrent .torrent
6. DOWNLOAD all 3gigabtyes that you had previously torrented, all over again.

I thought torrents existed to save bandwidth NOT force users to download the same files TWICE!
I jumped the gun with that comment.
It was in fact a separate but new batch of files. Launcher patched another 3gb, nearly identical size as the torrent, so I got confused.
3.32 gb (from the torrent) + the extra 3329mb (not found in the official .torrent)

Maybe in the future release an optional .torrent that includes ALL game files. Even with the extra 3gigs the launcher obtained, I am still seeing file transfers at every loading screen.

Sorry for jumping the nerd rage like that. Only 6 days left in the event, thought I was going to be stuck in download hell.