Ensign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
# 1 All beams cruiser damage type?
02-09-2013, 12:16 AM
I'm a tactical captain running Odyssey tactical cruiser. My weapon setup is all beams. Through leveling I played with phaser beam arrays. Now I reached end game and I'm considering antiproton vs. plasma vs. phaser damage type for PvE (phasers are star trek). I would not like to mess this up because very rare Mk XII equipment costs millions of ec. Crafting only takes me to MK XI.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,738
# 2
02-09-2013, 01:16 AM
Disruptors are hard to beat and the Devs wont nerf the klingon weapon like they do the others from time to time, the same with phasers but no real gain from phasers and they cost much more.

If your staying with energy weapons only 3 dual beam banks and 5 beam arrays may be a good choice for you

Good luck
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,616
# 3
02-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
Disruptors are hard to beat and the Devs wont nerf the klingon weapon like they do the others from time to time, the same with phasers but no real gain from phasers and they cost much more.

If your staying with energy weapons only 3 dual beam banks and 5 beam arrays may be a good choice for you

Good luck
Idk in an oddy without saucer sep 3dbb's mau be hard to use effectively.

Atho i agree disruptors are always a good choice.

Heres a break down

Any weapon with a disruptor proc can increase your damage from all sources by 5%
Such as polarized disruptors, spiral wave disruptors(only available if you have a galor), plasma disruptors(free from the past iimperfect mission) Romulan plasma disruptors (uses the plasma damage type so consoles can be cheeper), and obviously regular plasma weapons.

Antiproton weapons deal more innate damage since they dont have a proc

Plasma weapons are allright but there are consoles available from the romulan embassy that will add a plasm,a proc to any weapon so.....
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,048
# 4
02-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Plasma really comes into it's own if you're in a Fleet with a Embassy that's provisioned, and have the Romulan console and beam array. The consoles mentioned with the chance to have Plasma proc added to any weapon, will add damage instead to plasma type weapons, stack three of those in your Science Consoles and you have a fair bit of damage.

The Romulan Console (+ to all power levels, + to crits)and the Romulan Beam Array (0 power drain when fired!) together will also buff your plasma damage.

Those together plus 3x Plasma Infusers will melt most things things PvE. It should even be enough to get over the 20% STF shield resist in PvP, unless I'm figuring things wrong.

Other things to bolt on: The Borg console (+5 Weapons power, + to crits) and Kinetic Cutting Beam (360 degree kinectic damage). The two piece bonus for that set has a proc that adds more weapon power, as well as reducing drain when firing weapons. Pretty good thing to have with any weapon type.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
# 5
02-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I am currently running this on my Reagent

5x Tetryon array
1x cutting beam
1x 180 Quant rear
1x Bio Nuke forward


I like the tetryons for their shield stripping ability and with a constant cycle of HYIII or TSIII from the 180, you can do some good damage,

P.S. hate their sound though
Ensign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
# 6
02-11-2013, 01:49 AM
Thank you all for suggestions. I've decided to go with Romulan plasma. The grind for reputation will be fun . For now I purchased green MK XI plasma beam arrays since they were cheap and fitted my ship with plasma infusers. New Romuls dailies are a piece of cake on normal difficulty.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,938
# 7
02-11-2013, 02:01 AM
whats the sense in mixing DBB front and BB in the back...they do not have any overlaping firearc!
for maximum effectiveness you will want to have the maximum amount of weapons possible on your target. That means DBB with turrets for frontal attack (that needs more turnrate than 6), or all BB and broadsiding.
you could also go for single cannons and turrets, also very nice and a compromice between flanking and frontal attack.

my advice would be plasma weapons with romulan consoles for PVE and disruptors for PVP.
Go pro or go home
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,462
# 8
02-11-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm not really sold on the romulan experimental plasma beam array. Yes, it doesn't drain power. But it also doesn't benefit from my tactical consoles. So you are literally comparing the no-drain damage output of the REPBA to the with-drain and console-boosted damage output of something else. If that something else is a cannon, and not another beam array, then it will do better. And the "plasma hull melt" firing mode completely fails to impress me, being that it has a minute and a half cooldown for a weak form of APB and about as much damage as a single light torpedo from the hyper-plasma launcher.

Now, if the romulan weapons in the reputation store didn't cost so freaking much THEN it would be worth it. Because then I could use plasma weapons and not give up the disruptor proc. But given that it would take months to get enough dilithium to outfit a single ship with romulan plasma-disruptors, and I can't even use any of them until I have the full set because they are an energy type change...

meh
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 9
02-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
I'm not really sold on the romulan experimental plasma beam array. Yes, it doesn't drain power. But it also doesn't benefit from my tactical consoles. So you are literally comparing the no-drain damage output of the REPBA to the with-drain and console-boosted damage output of something else. If that something else is a cannon, and not another beam array, then it will do better. And the "plasma hull melt" firing mode completely fails to impress me, being that it has a minute and a half cooldown for a weak form of APB and about as much damage as a single light torpedo from the hyper-plasma launcher.

Now, if the romulan weapons in the reputation store didn't cost so freaking much THEN it would be worth it. Because then I could use plasma weapons and not give up the disruptor proc. But given that it would take months to get enough dilithium to outfit a single ship with romulan plasma-disruptors, and I can't even use any of them until I have the full set because they are an energy type change...

meh
6x Rom BA at 29k Dil ~ 178k dil (gotta add in the extra 700 or so) ~ 23

So at 23 days of 8k dil per day, you would get your 7 plasma/disruptor BAs (figuring you already have the experimental BA). And in those 23 days at 1 mil ECs per day (easy to get) you will also have 23 mil ECs which would be enough easily for 3 or 4 mk XII blue plasma infusers.

Soooo... a long term (ish) investment, but with huge reward possibilities.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,745
# 10
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
6x Rom BA at 29k Dil ~ 178k dil (gotta add in the extra 700 or so) ~ 23

So at 23 days of 8k dil per day, you would get your 7 plasma/disruptor BAs (figuring you already have the experimental BA). And in those 23 days at 1 mil ECs per day (easy to get) you will also have 23 mil ECs which would be enough easily for 3 or 4 mk XII blue plasma infusers.

Soooo... a long term (ish) investment, but with huge reward possibilities.
Long term, yes. I'm not going to buy those rep weapons before I stop caring for Zen/Dilithium.

Which is a pity, I really had a nice build starting to take root in my head.

For PvE, Romulan plasma (and plasma overall) has currently great benefits.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 PM.