Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 81
02-08-2013, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
In my mind, the only thing that gives Star Trek an edge over Star Wars is that there is no Jar Jar Binks in Star Trek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post
1) No irritating characters
Care to retract those statements?

Last edited by fulleatherjacket; 02-08-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Captain
# 82
02-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady0mystery View Post
THIS.

also, medical care in Star wars seems to suck HARDCORE. a robot telling a bunch of guys that their princess just lost the will to live or some bull**** like that... they just clearly let her die with no good reason... they barely did anything at all for the heavy larynx damage caused by Vader's force choke.

Now, even in the absence of visible external trauma, no medical attendant is going to ever miss the signs of acute laryngeal or bronchial obstruction - the patient turns blue. And the cure is simple to effect requiring nothing more complicated than a shape blade, a bic biro pen (or some similar tube) and steady nerves. And, I don't care how heart broken she was after losing Anakin to the dark side, no otherwise healthy young woman can just will herself dead.

Then there's the fact that Vader's face got horribly disfigured and he seemed to need some sort of life support 24/7... in order to need that famous helm and outfit that he is so well-known for now.

Star trek's medical technology would had solved both those issues in seconds... while star wars seems to only go with the barest minimum before giving up completely.

So yeah, Star Wars have awesome robots and ****.... but they don't seem to care much about healthcare and all that jazz.

so Star Trek wins in that respect.
So why do they even need doctors in ST. If someone dies they can simply throw the body into the transporter and reconstitute him from the saved data in the transporter buffer.

Sci-fi my rear end, thats fantasy baby !
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Ensign
# 83
02-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
So why do they even need doctors in ST. If someone dies they can simply throw the body into the transporter and reconstitute him from the saved data in the transporter buffer.

Sci-fi my rear end, thats fantasy baby !
The transporters are known to glitch up badly when it has some unexpected element interfering with it. so if we depended on that all the time to heal us up, we might come out looking like some sort of abomination that was born in hell. or wind up in the mirror universe every time it glitched up.

plus, even in star trek's universe, they always warn us that it's a bad idea completely to depend on machines completely.

such machines always needs that human element in order to keep it working like it's supposed to be... instead of glitching up so badly that nobody seems able to fix it. That's where the doctors come in.

Star Wars seems to depend on Robots too much, even to the point where they have robot doctors that are sucky at their jobs because they lack the passion to NOT quit on their patients the minute it seems that they have something critically wrong with them.
Captain
# 84
02-09-2013, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
Not sure if I'm about to commit a serious offence here, but I don't mind Neelix. At worst I'd spike his drink with something that knocks him out for a few hours so I can enjoy some peace.

He is a bit irritating I grant you, but I still think Jar Jar is far worse.
Ensign
# 85
02-09-2013, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post
Not sure if I'm about to commit a serious offence here, but I don't mind Neelix. At worst I'd spike his drink with something that knocks him out for a few hours so I can enjoy some peace.

He is a bit irritating I grant you, but I still think Jar Jar is far worse.
Agreed. plus, the other characters has the decency to not pretend that he is actually an awesome warrior or something like that like in Star Wars with Jar Jar. They actually acknowledge that Neelix is kind of annoying and that the only reason why they keep him around is because he's a pretty good informant on things that they aren't familiar with at times.

Heck, even Tuvok choked the hell out of a holographic representation of Neeleix when he needed to let off some stress.
http://youtu.be/VWlv_02fRyY

I guess the writers wanted a butt-monkey for the series, and Neelix was it. The Star trek cast basically tells Neelix to go stay in the kitchen unless needed!
this puts an damper on how annoying he can be. Because they're basically telling you: "No, you're not the only one who finds him annoying. We feel you, bro. But we do need his knowledge, etc. so what can we do?"

In star wars on the other hand, they're just like: "Oh, Jar Jar is a valuable member of our team!! Oh, since he did so well let's permanently make him our guide and delegate to the Galactic Senate so that he can always be around!"
They basically give Jar Jar brinks an false sense of entitlement, and basically excuses how annoying he is... so he runs around unrestrained with little motive to change his ways.
He is ten times more annoying because in universe he basically gets away with being annoying!!

At least with Neelix, they subtly remind him that there would be some people who finds him annoying, so he better tone it down a little.