Lieutenant
# 1 Ground combat 2.0 F2P
02-09-2013, 08:57 AM
IT did improve a lot with crosshairs and such - but overall i find it still lacking.

Its not about the stats or gear.

Its the combat itself. Quite often enemy or boffs just run into each other - no "covering" or flanking. They use skills randomly at wrong time.

Shooting is slow and glitched (more then often i see holding machinegun in 1 hand and shooting into the sky while enemy takes damage or pulsewave shooting to the side).

Or you stand right behind the enemy at a certain distance and they do nothing. Fix the "blindness".

And when shooting... you dont really feel that you shoot, no combat feeling.

Cant remap some buttons (like melee on middle mouse or alt attack on right click - id prefer zoom on right).
Career Officer
# 2
02-19-2013, 05:40 PM
i was disappointed with City of Star Trek when it launched, and it's even more dated now. Your space combat is an awesome system, though. much more active than say, eve online.

I understood that you were working on an extremely short deadline to release the game, and just threw in your old ground combat engine as a placeholder.

3 years later, the place is still held. Now that you're about to release a game with what appears to be a modern ground combat engine (neverwinter), it's time. treat this ip like the flagship game it deserves to be, and put a tweaked version of neverwinter's ground combat engine into STO.

as it is, i HATE getting out of my ship. unfortunately, all your missions force me to. also, the fact that i can't access the exchange in space (other than calling the s.s. azura II once every two hours, or having a tuffli) is kind of silly in an age of cross-quadrant high-speed data transfer and transporters.

also, a modern ground combat engine would allow for many new and more difficult/interesting mechanics, which is always a good thing

Last edited by br3akingforce; 02-19-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Lieutenant
# 3
03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
uh forgot my theread already.

Been playign alot more since and...

Ground combat has no combat feel - there is too much "smart" bulleting and autotarget - you cant move away from the bullet trajectory etc.

Dodgign sucks - the doubletapping needs you to stop moving + its glitchy slow and generally useless.

Shooting is boring - there is no real effect and feel of shooting (just play some shooter that has energy weapons - like ut3 for example and beam rifle). The energy effect quite often comes out from wrong spot and moves to wrong direction.
Or u hold machiengun in one hand and shoot from ur chest (ironman? Oo).

Or couch without anything to cover you and take way less damage magically.

Zooming and aiming has little to no use - even when shields are down (i do get that aiming for head with shields would be negated by shields anyways).

It has nothig nto do with the hp or shields.
Its all the animations, autotargeting, bad shootign effects and sounds.

Every weapon feels weak (xept the sniper rifles alt and the plasma cannons alt feel as if there is something happening).

How about aiming without the huge crosshair....

Even character animations are outdated together with the weapon etc models. Blocky, low rez and low short animations.

Perhaps its time to invest some time int oupdatign these instead of just another ground zone that is not as big of a success as you thought (only a fraction of population plays them for anythign but daily missions).
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Ground combat other than Elite STFs in this game is still a joke. It requires no strategy. Spam BOFF powers, crouch and fire away, rinse and repeat.

Also agree about having to get out of your ship for certain things. No reason we can have account bank on our ship w/o having the exchange and mail, etc. Star Wars TOR finally did this, allowed you to have access to all the services on board your personal ship and it's been a real godsend for that game. The only thing is if PWE did that they would probably make it a paid unlock service, lol.